What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoying time with my oldest Son who flew in from Alaska today. We're lucky enough to have him until mid December. He got stuck in Dallas-Fort Worth overnight due to a sick passenger in Seattle, and they lost his luggage...but once that shows up tomorrow everything should be just fine!

Might be the last time we see him for at least a year since it sounds like he'll go on deployment later next Spring. Air Force life is tough on the parents, but he loves it.

Yesterday I finished decorating for Christmas. Tonight we will be having some family over to join us for dinner and to enjoy the decorations. And yes, I have seven trees. 🤣😂🤣🎄🎄🎄

1. Candy themed decorations on this tree
2. MN Twins, MN Vikings, and billiards (I played on a pool league for many years)
3. and 4. My Grandma trees - I inherited decorations from both of my grandmas so they each get a tree
5. Santa tree - all my Santa decorations
6. All red decorations (in memory of hubby's dad whose favorite color was red)
7. This tree has my non-Santa decorations as well as the decorations hubby and I have gotten since we have been together. Fun to add to it every year!

I know the actual decorations would be more visible if I took pictures with more light, but I just love the glow from the Christmas lights alone.2D61A8FC-298D-4465-B88E-67839ED16903.jpeg23474C67-D733-4CFF-9B61-BC618ED81059.jpegA010BE1F-6689-4581-B8C2-5798A47D812F.jpeg0DB78265-341D-4430-8FD2-5393A74446C7.jpeg8AFE2D40-0D28-48E8-A42F-194CB1A6DE2E.jpegA08211E8-72D5-4781-A063-E3B4343F6364.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
still didn't realize it was as big a city as your pictures portray. About the same as my current city, I s'pose.

About 1.6 million. It has almost doubled since 2000. A few years ago they opened a huge hospital in the south east and that whole area has transformed from farmland to a mass of new homes.

Just in the immediate view of my pictures downtown, there are two high rises going up. Lots of growth to come, yet.

A nice place to visit. Just as I feel Vancouver is a nice place to be from! 😂

Yesterday I finished decorating for Christmas. Tonight we will be having some family over to join us for dinner and to enjoy the decorations. And yes, I have seven trees. 🤣😂🤣🎄🎄🎄

1. Candy themed decorations on this tree
2. MN Twins, MN Vikings, and billiards (I played on a pool league for many years)
3. and 4. My Grandma trees - I inherited decorations from both of my grandmas so they each get a tree
5. Santa tree - all my Santa decorations
6. All red decorations (in memory of hubby's dad whose favorite color was red)
7. This tree has my non-Santa decorations as well as the decorations hubby and I have gotten since we have been together. Fun to add to it every year!

I know the actual decorations would be more visible if I took pictures with more light, but I just love the glow from the Christmas lights alone.View attachment 95682View attachment 95683View attachment 95684View attachment 95685View attachment 95686View attachment 95687
Holy! Do you think next year you will have time to really get into the Xmas spirit? :D

Yesterday was going to be a wine day, but just as I got my self ready to go my plumber stopped in to look at the radiant tube heater in the shop. A couple weeks ago I got all set up to install the whole house water monitor and shut off I preordered after the great flood. My water closet is so tight my pex crimpers wouldn't fit. My only option to do it myself was to build a new set up outside of the closet and put it through the floor and connect it at the well line under the house. Somehow I just hadn't gotten around to it. It just so happened that he had fancy offset crimpers for tight spaces, so we installed Phyn.

It works on harmonic resonance, and you tell it what you have in your system. 3 toilets, 4 sinks, dishwasher etc, etc. It is able to identify each faucet and item by their unique sound signature in the pipes. Once the house is learned it will shut off any unknown water usage, ie a leak. It will send you warnings and updates to your phone, you can also turn the water off with the push of a button in the app.

So far very happy, and it was half the cost of what a simple leak already cost me.

PXL_20221126_222337743.jpg

I *did* get to my port yesterday, thankfully, and now it’s bulk aging with some oak.

Yesterday must have been plumbing day for Daves. My Fastrack pump decided it was done, so I rigged it up to my carboy washer with an inline valve so I didn’t shoot the bottles across the room. That led to cleaning and sanitizing four cases of bottles…

9970E5B1-6AF4-44D1-B111-E6949A65FD1E.jpeg

Dinner is going to be interesting tonight. I decided to go for it. I pulled out the bison tongue. 😬

I had to dig deep, and it has been a long time since I made a stock. It was very evident as I moved aside bag after bag of bones. It's well below zero, so a day inside making stock is just fine.

Quite a looong time...
PXL_20221203_174232650.jpg

5 minutes later

PXL_20221203_174946147.jpg

I LOVE my new range top. You don't always need the btu's, but 20 minutes to bring a huge pot of frozen bones to a simmer is pretty OK!

I went to a forum this afternoon by following a google link trying to investigate a flour (Gold Medal Pizza flour) that I found recently at my local grocery store. It led me to PizzaMaking.com, looked around, interesting threads, so I joined up. In my 1st post that they make you do before you can post and see all the threads, I said I hope their site has lot's of info and constructive feedback like winemaking.com does.

Well, first thread I looked at from July about the flour I was researching turned into a spitting match (over a couple of weeks), with the guy who started the thread to ask if anyone had used the flour getting told by the end he was stupid for even trying to use the flour by a user who has 29,000+ posts... and had never tried the flour.

I think we need to appreciate the individuals who populate and post at this site a bit more as well as the moderators who keep us (especially me) under control!

Thank you all, you are the reason I keep coming back here!

I went to a forum this afternoon by following a google link trying to investigate a flour (Gold Medal Pizza flour) that I found recently at my local grocery store. It led me to PizzaMaking.com, looked around, interesting threads, so I joined up. In my 1st post that they make you do before you can post and see all the threads, I said I hope their site has lot's of info and constructive feedback like winemaking.com does.

Well, first thread I looked at from July about the flour I was researching turned into a spitting match (over a couple of weeks), with the guy who started the thread to ask if anyone had used the flour getting told by the end he was stupid for even trying to use the flour by a user who has 29,000+ posts... and had never tried the flour.

I think we need to appreciate the individuals who populate and post at this site a bit more as well as the moderators who keep us (especially me) under control!

Thank you all, you are the reason I keep coming back here!
@ceeaton Great end of year post and I'll add a thanks to everyone from the regulars to the mods to the newbies. Compared to any other site I visit this group is by far the friendliest, most sharing and compassionate when needed group I've come across.
Proud to be included with you all.

PIEROGI!!!
I do this 2-3 times a year and I'm tired.
Day 1 - make the fillings, chill overnight.
Day 2 - make pierogi, boil, throw in freezer.
Day 3 - this morning, vac seal.
A lot of work for 1 person. Ideally there would have been an assembly line of old women speaking a Slavic language that I unfortunately don't understand.
3 dozen sauerkraut
3 dozen cabbage
11 dozen cheese-potato (Potato is important, the water is used in the dough.)
and 2 dozen cherry
That's a lot of meals for less than 20 bucks out of pocket.

pierogi 1.jpg

PIEROGI!!!
I do this 2-3 times a year and I'm tired.
Day 1 - make the fillings, chill overnight.
Day 2 - make pierogi, boil, throw in freezer.
Day 3 - this morning, vac seal.
A lot of work for 1 person. Ideally there would have been an assembly line of old women speaking a Slavic language that I unfortunately don't understand.
3 dozen sauerkraut
3 dozen cabbage
11 dozen cheese-potato (Potato is important, the water is used in the dough.)
and 2 dozen cherry
That's a lot of meals for less than 20 bucks out of pocket.

View attachment 96476
A lot easier if you had a couple of wives to help. :i

Back