What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday morning I made croutons, starting with the heels from several loaves of bread:

View attachment 93586

Cube the bread. Melt butter with olive oil, seasoned salt, and oregano. Pour over the cubes in a bowl and mix to cover all the bread.

View attachment 93587

Preheat the oven to 325 F and spread foil on a cookie sheet. The foil helps the bread crisp, and makes cleanup easier. Put the bread in a single layer and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Flip the bread / stir and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes.

I want mine crisp but not too brown.

View attachment 93588

They are good for weeks if stored in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out.
This was a life changing experience for me. I like mine well toasted and still soft in the center. I fry them for a couple minutes. You only need to make your own once to never buy a box again.

Two weeks out from my barn raising party and I had to make sure everything fits. I had to make some minor adjustments but the first bent went together well.
View attachment 93572
I raised it myself with a gin pole. It’s amazing what you can do with levers and mechanical advantage!
I usually stick with VODKA poles but if GIN is your thing, go for it. :D

This was a life changing experience for me. I like mine well toasted and still soft in the center. I fry them for a couple minutes. You only need to make your own once to never buy a box again.
If you make a small batch and use them within a day or 2, soft centers are fine. Longer than that, I have concerns that they'll spoil. Store bought croutons are good for months after opening (if bag is kept properly sealed). I try to use mine up within a couple of weeks.

Not an every day occurrence, but I just got a notification of an ACH deposit in my account. Went and looked, for some reason I received a deposit from Dairy Queen. Checked to make sure one of my kids didn't change jobs and not tell me, lol, stranger things have happened w/four kids. So called up the credit union, they can't help me until Tuesday. So I guess I have to keep the $232.82 safe and not spend it!

I could buy a bunch of wine with that, or better yet some good beer!

Relaxing with some wine after a Loooooong day
E8C247E7-EFA3-4966-8227-F91921208359.jpeg
We got four bents raised, the floor board installed and the top plates on. So all of the really heavy lifting is done. I thought we would get the rafters up but the top plates required some adjustments that took a long time.

Now to get a roof on before the snow flies.

I did it yesterday, but I have nasty pictures from my phone so it counts...

Went to visit @mainshipfred yesterday. He kept 100 lbs of Cab Franc grapes in his freezer for me to pick up at a later date. Took my wifey on a road trip (she studied in the car (rolling my eyes)) and I was the designated driver. Stopped at his place of work and picked up the grapes and a case of wine (against my wishes, I'm trying to get rid of wine, have too much). Then headed out with him and his wifey to visit a couple of local wineries (I think they have like 5000 in Loudoun County). Stopped at a place he did work for (Chrysalis winery) and sampled a couple of bottles (what we could steal from the yellow jackets) on a gorgeous day (77 degrees). Thanks again Fred!

10-15-22_Chrysalis-1.jpg

10-15-22_Chrysalis-2.jpg

Picture #2 is located 5 feet under picture #1.

I did it yesterday, but I have nasty pictures from my phone so it counts...

Went to visit @mainshipfred yesterday. He kept 100 lbs of Cab Franc grapes in his freezer for me to pick up at a later date. Took my wifey on a road trip (she studied in the car (rolling my eyes)) and I was the designated driver. Stopped at his place of work and picked up the grapes and a case of wine (against my wishes, I'm trying to get rid of wine, have too much). Then headed out with him and his wifey to visit a couple of local wineries (I think they have like 5000 in Loudoun County). Stopped at a place he did work for (Chrysalis winery) and sampled a couple of bottles (what we could steal from the yellow jackets) on a gorgeous day (77 degrees). Thanks again Fred!

View attachment 94128

View attachment 94129

Picture #2 is located 5 feet under picture #1.

Sorry I missed you. Had I known you'd be at Fred's shop, I might have been able to swing by - only 2 or 3 miles from my place.

Sorry I missed you. Had I known you'd be at Fred's shop, I might have been able to swing by - only 2 or 3 miles from my place.
Sorry, thought you knew he had my grapes frozen at his shop.

My wife loved it down there, and there are plenty of wineries to visit. Talked with Fred about recommending a place for us to stay overnight in the middle of some wineries (I think you'd be close to some wherever you stayed) and we can all do some winery visits and maybe some dinner. A little less than two hours for us from door to door, and a very scenic drive, though nutty MD drivers. We're aiming for another visit next Spring at this point.

I gave Fred a few wines, two of each, so next time you stop by his place ask him about them. There are some all grape, grape/juice bucket wines and a couple of kit wines, all 5-6 years old. I need your opinion on "kit taste" with an older kit wine.

Sorry, thought you knew he had my grapes frozen at his shop.

I did. But honestly, my window was pretty narrow yesterday (three sporting events, plus our oldest's first homecoming). Will get you on the next visit. Hopefully soon.

Latest posts

Back