What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow beautiful color!

Took a half day (left work at 9:45 a.m., I get in pretty early) to do the lawn. Had picked up a new food processing toy on Saturday, a manual food mill. Had watched a few videos from Pasquale on YouTube:

()

about making "the sauce". He had an electric saucer, but I'm cheap so got a French food mill (it's French, must be good). I liked his process since I normally would put tomatoes in boiling water, then dump in a cold water sink to remove the skins, then manually hand juice the maters to

remove as many seeds as I could through a strainer. Took a while, especially for a 1/2 bushel of tomatoes which is my normal batch size.

My main aim was to get the lawn done before the high humidity (70*F+ dew points) and higher temps started tomorrow through early next week. But heard from my brother last night that a local Mennonite farm market near us had the 1/2 bushels of Roma and regular tomatoes available (had stopped last Saturday and they said probably this Friday). So picked up a box thinking I could let them rest until this weekend. Lo and behold, got stung by some type of critter when working on the lawn. I'm somewhat allergic to bee stings (have a double epi pen in the closet), so came in and started the tomato process while I waited to see if I broke out in hives or started having respiratory issues (which I haven't, but nice and cool in here, lol).

This process so far is so easy that instead of doing 1/2 of the 1/2 bushel (a 1/4 bushel I think), I am now just doing the whole thing. Did it in two batches, but it is way easier than I remember from the last few years. This food mill is the "bomb". Easy to use, easy to clean, no seeds other than a few crushed or partial ones. Now the fun of waiting for it to cook down for a few hours then can (or might cool and freeze in 1 gallon freezer bags).

View attachment 91334

View attachment 91335

View attachment 91336

View attachment 91337

This is all a test run for when my 5 plants worth of San Marzano tomatoes all get ripe (they are starting, put them in really late, cold spring this year).

Wow beautiful color!
And they weren't as ripe as I like! I'll probably pick up another 1/2 bushel in a week or so if my maters don't come in like gang busters. I will mention they were $13 for the 1/2 bushel, a couple of years ago they were $8, gotta love inflation. I was just surprised how easy it was to process them with the food mill. Next time I cook them down I'll do it on the outdoor propane cooker that I use to make beer. I'm just really low on fuel and don't want to run into town to get more (lazy side showing it's ugly head). Should make the cook down go faster and won't make the A/C run every 20 minutes.

Edit: Ha, found the SOBs! Ground yellow jacket nest that I ran over with the lawn mower. It was off to the side, so I didn't directly walk over it, but I'm sure the spinning blades created some anxiety for the hive. I'm lucky only one flew up my shorts, and on the right side of my right leg! Last time I found a hive I got stung 20+ times and had my wife freaking out over my allergy to stings...

Edit 2: I covered up hole #1 (main one) with diatoms...they didn't like that too much. As of two hours later haven't dug out of that. But, that helped find emergency exit/entrance #2, just covered that one up. It's about 40 ft from my kitchen window. From there I can see a flurry of activity, they aren't too happy. I'm gonna try this organic treatment for a few days before I hit them with something that will linger in the environment in a bad way if that doesn't work.

Last edited:
Had to weed around all the vines, they were starting to get a bit moldy at ground level. Then placed nematodes around each vine. I’m trying a reduced mowing program this year, mostly due to not having time to keep at it.

And they weren't as ripe as I like! I'll probably pick up another 1/2 bushel in a week or so if my maters don't come in like gang busters. I will mention they were $13 for the 1/2 bushel, a couple of years ago they were $8, gotta love inflation. I was just surprised how easy it was to process them with the food mill. Next time I cook them down I'll do it on the outdoor propane cooker that I use to make beer. I'm just really low on fuel and don't want to run into town to get more (lazy side showing it's ugly head). Should make the cook down go faster and won't make the A/C run every 20 minutes.

Edit: Ha, found the SOBs! Ground yellow jacket nest that I ran over with the lawn mower. It was off to the side, so I didn't directly walk over it, but I'm sure the spinning blades created some anxiety for the hive. I'm lucky only one flew up my shorts, and on the right side of my right leg! Last time I found a hive I got stung 20+ times and had my wife freaking out over my allergy to stings...

Edit 2: I covered up hole #1 (main one) with diatoms...they didn't like that too much. As of two hours later haven't dug out of that. But, that helped find emergency exit/entrance #2, just covered that one up. It's about 40 ft from my kitchen window. From there I can see a flurry of activity, they aren't too happy. I'm gonna try this organic treatment for a few days before I hit them with something that will linger in the environment in a bad way if that doesn't work.
Edit: I got 5 quarts + 2 pints from the batch (aka 6 quarts). Next time I'll do it on the weekend and cook it down to 5 quarts per 1/2 bushel, a bit thin the way I did it today.

My son & I replaced a retaining wall this morning. The original is made of pressure treated wood logs, but after 18 years, it's rotting. Outside of the wall failing, it's bad to have rotting wood next to the house.

wall-01.jpg

Unfortunately, I engineered it WAY too well. The spikes I used to nail the layers together rusted and will NOT pull out. I tried cutting with a sawzall, but it was clear that wasn't working. Way too many spikes.

When I over-engineer something, I don't hold back!

wall-02.jpg

Our final method was simple brute strength. It worked, but it wasn't fun.

This next photo shows the yellow jacket nest we dealt with last year. It was deep inside, so spraying bug killer couldn't get to the nest. The final solution was soapy water, as the soap apparently suffocates them.

wall-03.jpg

Building the new wall was far easier than removing the old one. I still need to put another layer on top, but that's an easy task for later this week.

wall-04.jpg

In the fall we'll replace 3 other retaining walls, and I need to re-do the lava rocks.

Yesterday we attended a friend's wedding reception (gave them a bottle of FWK Barbera, of course, even though they said no gifts!). We left the reception in time to go to my high school reunion for a while.

Today we are celebrating hubby's birthday with his side of the family.

A very people-y weekend for me!

My son & I replaced a retaining wall this morning. The original is made of pressure treated wood logs, but after 18 years, it's rotting. Outside of the wall failing, it's bad to have rotting wood next to the house.

View attachment 91728

Unfortunately, I engineered it WAY too well. The spikes I used to nail the layers together rusted and will NOT pull out. I tried cutting with a sawzall, but it was clear that wasn't working. Way too many spikes.

When I over-engineer something, I don't hold back!

View attachment 91729

Our final method was simple brute strength. It worked, but it wasn't fun.

This next photo shows the yellow jacket nest we dealt with last year. It was deep inside, so spraying bug killer couldn't get to the nest. The final solution was soapy water, as the soap apparently suffocates them.

View attachment 91730

Building the new wall was far easier than removing the old one. I still need to put another layer on top, but that's an easy task for later this week.

View attachment 91731

In the fall we'll replace 3 other retaining walls, and I need to re-do the lava rocks.
I've used those in the past. They were "landscape timbers" and did not carry a lifetime guarantee against rot, etc. The square 4x4s, 6x6s, etc. did have a lifetime guarantee.

I've used those in the past. They were "landscape timbers" and did not carry a lifetime guarantee against rot, etc. The square 4x4s, 6x6s, etc. did have a lifetime guarantee.
18 years is very good, although the bottom one was badly rotted. The timbers I used elsewhere are in great shape, but we're going to replace them with stone as well.

Getting ready to bottle my FWK cab tomorrow. Filtered the double batch (11.5 gal.) that was started 8/1/21. Will get bottles ready this evening. Mrs. Corker has promised a charcuterie board for my efforts. Also racked and oaked the Forte Petit Syrah and Tavola Pinot Noir. Funny that our dog Kato who has for years protected us from many a squirrel and baby deer but is afraid of thunder is also afraid of my AIO pump. Must be the vibration bc he is pretty much deaf at this point.

I wanted to start the FWK Tavola Cab Sav in my fridge, but it's Covid central here. I am almost done with it after 5 days but hubby just tested positive last night and is all stuffed up today. I figured having active yeastie beasties in the atmosphere might not help.

So today I mowed part of the backyard that he didn't get to yesterday, walked on the treadmill, and now I guess I can relax since I can't go anywhere for a few more days anyway. At least it's a beautiful day today!

I wanted to start the FWK Tavola Cab Sav in my fridge, but it's Covid central here. I am almost done with it after 5 days but hubby just tested positive last night and is all stuffed up today. I figured having active yeastie beasties in the atmosphere might not help.

So today I mowed part of the backyard that he didn't get to yesterday, walked on the treadmill, and now I guess I can relax since I can't go anywhere for a few more days anyway. At least it's a beautiful day today!

Hope you're both back to 100% soon.

Yes, hope you are on the mend and back at 'em soon!

Yes, hope you are on the mend and back at 'em soon!
Thanks! We are vaxxed and fully boosted. So far, it's just been cold/sinus symptoms, which matches the reports of the newest variants. I feel mostly better after 3 or 4 days of symptoms. Hubby seems to be on the same track.

I just knew last weekend was too people-y.

Bottled the cab yesterday. It was not Forte as I started it last August but I did use 4 skins packs in a double batch that I EM’d for 28 days. I think my 6.5 gal carboys are bigger than advertised. We were about a glass full short of 60 bottles from what should have been 11.5 gallons. To be honest if I hadn’t tasted so much we’d have been right there. Which leads me to the wine. So good even at this stage. May be the best full body red I’ve made yet. I know, I say that all the time. But this time I mean it.

Latest posts

Back