What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One nice thing about having kids later in life, when you get older (almost 60) they remind you of when you grew up. Took Son #2 (#3 in age order) to practice parallel parking at the new middle school (lots of curbs). A Prius is way different than a Corolla, he was parking better than I was after the hour practice session. Can't see much of the car past the upper hood on that car. He did really well! It's rather quiet so it was easy to give him suggestions through the open window when it was running off the battery.

A directors chair and a beer or glass of wine would have been nice, but I don't think the alcohol would be appreciated on school property (would be calling one of you to send me some bail money, lol).

I'm taking the long way around to explain my Jeep addition today and also say how amazing Amazon is. Saturday night we were invited by our newest neighbors to go out to their property in Sedona where they're in the opening stages of building a new home. Neighbor Wes was putting on a virtual fireworks display on a portable 40 foot wide screen with a sound system. There were probably 20 or 30 people total with 6 or 8 of us from Cottonwood representing their current hometown. It was bring your own lawn chairs and drinks and lasted about an hour. Lori offered to be designated driver of the Jeep since there were four of us riding in it and a few beers somehow snuck themselves into the ice chest. Wes and Nancy's property is about midpoint of the very scenic Red Rocks Loop which is about 6 miles long. It's two lanes of twisty, narrow, dark and mostly unmarked road that Lori had not driven before. The Jeep still had it's original headlights which are weak to say the least and have been on my "to buy" and "to do" lists for a while. WELL NOW, by the time she finished driving down that loop and across the valley back home I was advised that I had better get new lights for that "thing" before ever taking it back out at night.

I ordered a set of projector LEDs from Amazon late Saturday night and allowing for Sunday and the 4th being a holiday they still arrived at the house at noon today. Amazing.

Pic of one installed with the old light still in and then both replaced, I think they look pretty cool and we'll go running around after dark to see how well they work. I'm sure it's going to be like Night and Day.
View attachment 90293View attachment 90294
Especially where you live there is something to say about auxiliary lights. Having a good set of driving lights is a must. I used to have an XJ, I know how bad stock jeep lights can be. When you are out on a back road or just driving around in the desert it's really nice to be able to turn on the daylight.

You can see eye shine in the tree line from 100's of feet away instead of being caught off guard by something running out of it.

I'm not a fan of light bars, although they are effective, maybe they are just too cool for me. A set of Piaa's would fit the jeep look and be a real easy drop in upgrade if you don't have plans for a winch.

Sticking with the recommendations of recent posts you could tell Lori some guy on the internet said you would be WAY safer with off road lights. It would be reckless not to! 😄

You just need the right container.😇

Something like this:

c7ce0a73-c6fc-4b91-a68f-ca845607066a_1.e0f0ebfaabd77c1801dcdd2fdfe7c33d.jpeg

I dunno, Mike. Not for me, but if I could get Mrs Boatboy to carry my wine, it might look something like that. Then again, any port in a storm, right?
I think it could be done with a little more dignity. Unless of course you were being a gentleman and carrying the bag for the Missus. 😉

I started plumbing the new sink in the guest bath. Which reminded me how much I hate plumbing, part of which was a graphic demonstration that I'm not as skinny as I used to be. Crawling under sinks and reaching up to screw things together (or apart) is not fun.

Although I admit the new faucets are easier to work with. Got most of it done, the faucet and handles are installed. The old feeder lines are 2" too short, and the gooseneck is off by about 1-1/2". Going to Lowes Home Improvement first thing tomorrow morning.

I started plumbing the new sink in the guest bath. Which reminded me how much I hate plumbing, part of which was a graphic demonstration that I'm not as skinny as I used to be. Crawling under sinks and reaching up to screw things together (or apart) is not fun.

Although I admit the new faucets are easier to work with. Got most of it done, the faucet and handles are installed. The old feeder lines are 2" too short, and the gooseneck is off by about 1-1/2". Going to Lowes Home Improvement first thing tomorrow morning.
Any plumbing job is a 2 or 3 visit to your local Home Depot or Lowes. Might as well fill the gas tank when you start the pipes

True dat! I am getting my drip irrigation going again for the Summer season. We have had so much monsoon rain the last few weeks that have not needed it before now but just firing it back up I find I need multiple trips to the local hardware store. Luckily its only 0.5mi from the house!

Any plumbing job is a 2 or 3 visit to your local Home Depot or Lowes. Might as well fill the gas tank when you start the pipes

Nope. This one required only 1 trip back to Lowes. But there's a tiny drip in the drain so I have to crawl back under the counter for the 3rd time. Does that suffice? 🙃

Just bottled the 2022 Limoncello. Got 12 bottles.
Wow. Your labels are fantastic!

That's a very commercial looking label job. By commercial I mean professional and quality. Nice!
Mike, thanks for the compliment. Although my design skills are better than average, my spelling skills need immediate attention. Three misspelled words raise these labeled bottles to novelty status and contain the distribution to family and closest friends.

Hope you're well and enjoying chasing light!

Hmmm, thinking out loud... I have a Corolla with 256K on it. It didn't start, someone who knows cars said, hit the starter with a hammer. I did and it started. Need a new starter (or a dedicated hammer in the car).

Do I buy a cheap starter, or try and get a new one (starter, not car)? Most are remanufactured...but how many more miles can I expect out of a Corolla with a life expectancy of 250K, with the starter being the first original part to start failing except the battery and oil and transmission fluid and some radiator fluid? Oh, and maybe a disc brake or five?

Thoughts appreciated.

Have I started down that road I did with my Subaru Forrester when it hit 328k and needed a new exhaust (the whole thing)?

Hmmm, thinking out loud... I have a Corolla with 256K on it. It didn't start, someone who knows cars said, hit the starter with a hammer. I did and it started. Need a new starter (or a dedicated hammer in the car).

Do I buy a cheap starter, or try and get a new one (starter, not car)? Most are remanufactured...but how many more miles can I expect out of a Corolla with a life expectancy of 250K, with the starter being the first original part to start failing except the battery and oil and transmission fluid and some radiator fluid? Oh, and maybe a disc brake or five?

Thoughts appreciated.

Have I started down that road I did with my Subaru Forrester when it hit 328k and needed a new exhaust (the whole thing)?
No way. It's a Toyota. That engine will run long after the body disintegrates. If your brakes are good, keep on runnin 'er. I'd say a starter is a starter. You have as much chance of a refurbished one failing as a new one. Other option is a low km one from a wrecker! Cheap cheap!

Latest posts

Back