What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather is wacky all over! The last few days have had highs in the 70's F, last night we got a lot of rain so roads are flooded, and flurries are forecast (hopefully no accumulation) for this morning. Yup -- shorts & tank top to sweat pants and a jacket.

4 seasons in 1 week.jpg

Currently a balmy 60 degrees now. Today, the final decorations come down. Then we batten down the hatches for up to 4 inches of snow by mid-day tomorrow. Certainly not a ton of snow, but what a difference a day makes.
No snow here in NH, but it went from 43° to 18° overnight!!

Waiting for more snow. We had 6 inches Saturday night, it has all melted (53 degrees today, and now they call for 3 inches more Thursday with a high of 33 and a low of 19. That would be the equivalent of 9 years of snow, in one week. The average snowfall here is 1 inch a year..

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 3.47.29 PM.png

I'm not sure if anyone posted our snow issue in Northern Virginia. A 50+ mile stretch of Rt 95 was closed both ways. Some people were stranded in their vehicles more than 24 hrs. This is just one article.

Stranded Drivers Are Freed After 24-Hour Snowy Ordeal on I-95 in Virginia

That was just nuts. Funny thing is, I was out on Monday night and the roads around here (except for the neighborhoods) were absolutely fine. I realize we had a ton of snow come down in a very short period, but that's probably the busiest road on the east coast, and the stretch from DC to Fredericksburg is probably one of its busiest sections.

As a snowplow driver for 35 years, the people complaining about the length of time it took to get I-95 cleaned and the vehicles off the road have absolutely no clue on how hard it is to do. By far the biggest problem is the knotheads that don't know how to drive on the snow and ice.

As a snowplow driver for 35 years, the people complaining about the length of time it took to get I-95 cleaned and the vehicles off the road have absolutely no clue on how hard it is to do. By far the biggest problem is the knotheads that don't know how to drive on the snow and ice.

The knot heads should simply stay off the roads and allow the road crews time and space to do their jobs.

The knot heads should simply stay off the roads and allow the road crews time and space to do their jobs.

You are correct about the knot heads but I believe the original problem was with professional truck drivers. Whatever the reasons I think there were unusual conditions caused by the storm.

This is very good advice, although I agree with Fred that the conditions of this situation are not quite normal. It appears this storm dropped snow quickly, coupled with a serious accident.

I lived the first half of my life in Upstate NY, so I was used to snow and dealing with ugly weather conditions. After moving to NC I learned that conditions are different. The lowlands of southern states do not have -- nor normally need -- the snow removal equipment, nor do the workers have sufficient experience with it, as any equipment is used seldom. Add to that the fact that natives don't have snow driving skills, and it produces conditions totally unlike what transplants are used to.

It took a few incidents, which fortunately didn't include damage to my vehicles, for me to learn to stay off the roads when the roads are icy.

A few of my supervisors were PHB's * with short commutes, and they got irate when folks with longer commutes over unplowed back roads refused to risk it. Since the employer was not on the hook for repairing my vehicle in case of accident, I didn't let their fit of temper bother me. ;)

PHB = Pointy Haired Boss, a Dilbert reference

This is very good advice, although I agree with Fred that the conditions of this situation are not quite normal. It appears this storm dropped snow quickly, coupled with a serious accident.

I lived the first half of my life in Upstate NY, so I was used to snow and dealing with ugly weather conditions. After moving to NC I learned that conditions are different. The lowlands of southern states do not have -- nor normally need -- the snow removal equipment, nor do the workers have sufficient experience with it, as any equipment is used seldom. Add to that the fact that natives don't have snow driving skills, and it produces conditions totally unlike what transplants are used to.

It took a few incidents, which fortunately didn't include damage to my vehicles, for me to learn to stay off the roads when the roads are icy.

A few of my supervisors were PHB's * with short commutes, and they got irate when folks with longer commutes over unplowed back roads refused to risk it. Since the employer was not on the hook for repairing my vehicle in case of accident, I didn't let their fit of temper bother me. ;)

PHB = Pointy Haired Boss, a Dilbert reference

I know it's not the same as upstate New York but I grew up in Pittsburgh. When we had a foot of snow my friends would say "let's go sledding after school".

I know it's not the same as upstate New York but I grew up in Pittsburgh. When we had a foot of snow my friends would say "let's go sledding after school".
It's close enough! We did the same thing. Heck, we played outside during what most of the world calls a "blizzard"! 😂 When we got tired, we went inside, my mom made hot chocolate, and we played marathon Monopoly.

I've not been around this site much recently, my beer brewing has been more of a focus. But I f20220108_154455.jpginally got around to tidying up the cellar a little bit, and restocked the wine racks. This was brought on by me finally bottling some stuff going back to 2017, and needing some space.
I still have 50 or so gallons of various wines I need to bottle though, not sure where I'm going to put it all.

Latest posts

Back