What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two years ago, when my wife and I had our deck replaced, we had to remove the pergola we had installed on it. We took it apart and had it on the ground until today, when we finally got it out back together in our backyard around our fire pit. No emergency room visits or injury while we did it. Woo hoo!

PXL_20211003_181931789.jpg

Time to disconnect the swamp cooler and get the heat reconnected. Front pushing through today and another on Wednesday which should bring our first freeze for the year. We have a little of everything right now. Sun, rain and even snow in the high mountains!

1633876303535.jpeg

Cleaned my cellar and winemaking area. I had cases of empties scattered, so I organized them, including separating out the blue, brown, and clear. I have plenty to bottle the 2020s, and a good bit into having enough for the upcoming 2021 (which I won't need until next year).

I found a few cases that I probably haven't touched in 8 or 10 years. They looked suspect so I washed them. No mold or anything, just didn't look clean-n-brite, so they got a good washing. My bottle tree is full!

For the beginners -- start bottle prep BEFORE you start the wine, so you'll be ready for bottling. Doesn't matter if you plan to bulk age a year, start sooner than later. When you get to bottling and have everything fully set, you'll appreciate it!

During the last 2 weeks I've been cleaning equipment, making sure everything is fully cleaned. My grapes arrive next weekend and all I'll have to do it sanitize.

Mrs WM81 is MUCH happier as the mess and clutter is reduced!

A few weeks ago I replaced our low voltage landscape lights that border our sidewalk. Even the best quality of these types of lights are low quality, and being outside 365 days of the year, if we get 3 years duration, we're doing good. The last set started at 6 lights and they were good for 3 years, then one failed, and I could not get it to work. Pulled it out and re-spaced the remainder. A few months later, it happened again ... and again ... when we were down to 3 lights I was informed I was buying new ones. 😂

However, the connectors that tie the lights to the power wire are absolute garbage. I got one working and broke 2, so I gave up in frustration. Then my wife tried, got one working and broke 1. Ok, let's go with Plan B. I researched it and discovered I could buy just the connectors from a 3rd party, so I purchased a box.

These take a bit more work -- I had to separate the 2 parts of the power wire so a connector could go on each one, and had to remove the old connectors (broken ones came apart REAL easy), and strip the end of that wire (from the light) But in 15 minutes I had all the lights working. I fully recommend this product:

connectors.jpg

I also made a new friend while working on the lights. He was very interested in the process.

lizard.jpg

I made this port last year from a La Bodega kit. It was fortified with Christian Brothers brandy. The taste is good but unlike any port I’ve had before. Mosti must put chocolate in the sweetener pack because it’s pretty chocolatey - maybe too inauthentically so. And, the brandy…
Hi @crushday Iknow this is an old thread, but I just ordered the Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port and wondered if you could make any suggested changes for tweaking this kit--or just leave as is? And as far as the CB Brandy, I find the E&J XO to be much smoother so wonder if that played into your brandy comment? Thanks for any help.

I'd been looking at used Jeeps for months, dropping hints to the wife to get her used to the idea and then doing as much on-line homework as possible. The only real reason I had was that I didn't want to scratch up my 2WD F150 in the desert when I'm out taking pictures so cost was a major factor, it's basically only a camera accessory. As I searched it became very clear that classic jeeps are expensive, at least here in the Southwest. I began to accept the fact that It could easily cost 10 to 15,000 for a decent TJ model (1997-2006 version) and resigned myself to the idea it might take a few years to get one.

Then, day before yesterday, this guy popped up on my Facebook Marketplace page. We drove over to take a look, test drove it, handed the guy cash and I drove it home. It's mechanically sound, dented, scratched, scuffed up but included a new grill, fenders and a few more extras I'll add as I clean it up. Needs some love and a some dollars in replacement parts but it's just perfect for my needs and useable as is for now. Listed at 5,500 and I ended up getting it for 5,000. Guess who's heading out to one of the trails later this morning...
Jeep1.jpegjeep2.jpeg

Hi @crushday Iknow this is an old thread, but I just ordered the Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port and wondered if you could make any suggested changes for tweaking this kit--or just leave as is? And as far as the CB Brandy, I find the E&J XO to be much smoother so wonder if that played into your brandy comment? Thanks for any help.
That's a good recommendation and comment on the brandy. I opted for the cheapest in the store since I knew it was just being added to a ton of flavor. I already made a port again and used mid shelf brandy this year. I haven't tasted the difference, yet.

As far as tweaks... If I did that LBP again, I would only use half of the sweet pack. It has so much chocolate in it, every time I pour a glass I envision a bottle of Hershey's syrup. I want a port wine, not a ice cream sundae... Other than what I've mentioned, no other tweaks.

Yesterday we cleaned half the garage, something we try to do annually. It's amazing how clutter builds up -- things no longer used, broken things to fix that are unfixable, and general junk. We tossed out 3 bags of junk, have a box of metal recycling, and a few items we'll try to sell. I had several pairs of yard sneakers that were literally falling apart but I just hadn't got around to throwing out. [I tend to use things past the time when they are not usable.]

We swore to be honest with each other when answering the question: "Is that actually going to be used and is it worth keeping?"

We both have a bit of a packrat mentality (I'm worse), so we kept each other honest and eliminated clutter that needed eliminating.

The other half of the garage will take 2 sessions, as I built shelving units many moons ago, and we'll pull everything out for sorting. When we're done we'll feel good about the effort ... until next year when we do it again!

One of my relatives has moved, on average, every 4 years. They have no clutter as they are constantly de-cluttering for the next move ...

Side note -- our garage faces into the wind, so a lot of our cleaning is actually that. We sweep or blow the garage out regularly and keep the door shut most of the time, but we get a constant influx of dirt, grass, and leaves. Note to self -- build the next garage so it faces north!

Thanks for the input @crushday.

That's a good recommendation and comment on the brandy. I opted for the cheapest in the store since I knew it was just being added to a ton of flavor. I already made a port again and used mid shelf brandy this year. I haven't tasted the difference, yet.

As far as tweaks... If I did that LBP again, I would only use half of the sweet pack. It has so much chocolate in it, every time I pour a glass I envision a bottle of Hershey's syrup. I want a port wine, not a ice cream sundae... Other than what I've mentioned, no other tweaks.

Yesterday we cleaned half the garage, something we try to do annually. It's amazing how clutter builds up -- things no longer used, broken things to fix that are unfixable, and general junk. We tossed out 3 bags of junk, have a box of metal recycling, and a few items we'll try to sell. I had several pairs of yard sneakers that were literally falling apart but I just hadn't got around to throwing out. [I tend to use things past the time when they are not usable.]

We swore to be honest with each other when answering the question: "Is that actually going to be used and is it worth keeping?"

We both have a bit of a packrat mentality (I'm worse), so we kept each other honest and eliminated clutter that needed eliminating.

The other half of the garage will take 2 sessions, as I built shelving units many moons ago, and we'll pull everything out for sorting. When we're done we'll feel good about the effort ... until next year when we do it again!

One of my relatives has moved, on average, every 4 years. They have no clutter as they are constantly de-cluttering for the next move ...

Side note -- our garage faces into the wind, so a lot of our cleaning is actually that. We sweep or blow the garage out regularly and keep the door shut most of the time, but we get a constant influx of dirt, grass, and leaves. Note to self -- build the next garage so it faces north!

Our garage faces north. It helps a little, I guess. But we still get a fair amount of grass, leaves, and assorted debris if we leave the doors open. It seems like I'm sweeping it out way too often!!

Just about to head home soon to finish uncovering the septic tank cover so I can get it open tomorrow for some repairs this weekend. Fun weekend ahead. Yessir. One of those jobs where NONE of my friends has volunteered to help me. 🤣

After 7 hours of wrestling a power snake and cutting through tree roots yesterday, I am doing NOTHING today. OMG, I hurt. But the lines are clear and the tree guy showed up to remove one offender yesterday afternoon after I had finished. Perfect timing. It's just a job where I had to DIY because all a plumber wants to do is replace the entire field instead of just clearing the blocked spot. I had chemically treated the roots beforehand and I treated the system again today. There's some sewer line replacement ahead, hopefully next year after winter and early spring are over.

Forestry project improving timber stand. 4-5 hrs with a chain saw lets me find muscles I didn't even know that I had. Trimming off lower branches, thinning out trees that are to close together. All the while fighting with the wild rose bushes. Good exercise for 75+ to keep active.

Before and after photos of a couple pines where I've been thinning.

IMG_20211124_131030949_resize_38.jpgIMG_20211124_145311068_resize_38.jpg

Today I bottled 375 bottles of 2020 red wine:

1. Merlot from Livermore
2. Cabernet Sauvignon from Livermore
3. Cabernet Sauvignon from Knights Valley
4. A blend of Zinfandel (Lodi) and Petite Verdot (Knights Valley) that I've named Synergistic
5. A blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot that I've named Soiree

All of these were barrel aged for just under 7 months and were bulk aged prior for approximately 7 months.

IMG_2795.jpeg

Latest posts

Back