What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working today, as usual. 448 days to go. :D Last week, I bought two whole Choice ribeyes for $7.99 a pound at Kroger and had them cut into steaks (free). I keep an eye on the sale ads for this when it rolls around. Started out buying them years ago at $5.99 on sale. I'll go through the whole case and pick the two limpest ribeyes I can find. Best sale meat was at $6.99 during the pandemic. We got restaurant quality meat, very heavily marbled. I'm sure it's because there wasn't anyplace else for it to go then. I nearly cried when I laid the last of those steaks on the Weber!

strawberry Picking > cherry Picking > june berry Picking > mulberry Picking , , some ripe and some would be nice with two or three days more , , , but the wife would like to see the aunt in Pisgah Forest, , ,

An interesting bit of trivia;
many natural pigments have a pH response, Example, if one is working with mulberry which has a nice dark purple color that stains hands and knees and a fluffy bichon dog that wants to go outside , , you might rinse the dog with vinegar and have a perfectly white dog before the wife sees the purple version of fluffy yap dog (sorry no photos err, , evidence, this is purely theoretical)

Am entering last years mulberry at state fair, was high TA (took 20 gm acid per gallon to get in the pH range) so it had a lot of back sweetening and,, I am playing with acids to see which will titrate to pH 3.3 most efficiently. Think this year I try making mulberry into a tannic red wine.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was working in the vineyard all day, in 96°F weather. But I like hot weather, somewhat a desert rat.

But today I am mostly inside taking it easy. Had my second COVID jab this morning. Watered the garden, and bottled some wine in the cool cellar, but not too much else. Will be back in the field tomorrow. :)

I had a Pfizer. Get the second jap next week. The only thing I experienced after the first shot was an absolute tiredness. So went to bed early that night. The nxt day all was good. so - what am I doing today - I need to give my wine a good stir (a merlot - day 5) then vacuum the house.

I'm working up the gumption to continue fixing my ornamental border bricks. I installed the bricks (laid them on the ground) 20+ years ago, with mulch on one side the grass on the other. Over time (rain, cold, etc) the bricks sank into the ground. So I'm prying up the bricks, power washing them to clean them, troweling paving mix into the hole, and resting the brick on top. It looks great! My wife is pleased and wants me to complete the job. I have 3 bags of mix and figure I'll need half a dozen more.

However, my back is not impressed and wants to keep the status quo.

My wife is gonna win. My back already knows this, but it's a stubborn SOB.

I think I may use grapefruit zest on any white wine kit that is not a top of the line kit. I also will tweak any mid to lower level red kit using tips from the "Tweaking Cheap Kits" thread.
I did a couple Cru International kits to get a baseline and they both needed a little something more even though they included dry grape skins and oak. Your Rosé looks amazing, btw.

Yesterday my son & I bottled our Sauvignon Blanc, 31 bottles.

The 31st bottle was 1" from the top when we ran out of wine ... dang! I had poured the remains of the 3 gallon carboys into a glass -- there was a very light layer of sediment that we avoided in the racking. What was in the glass was cloudy, but we said, "what the heck!" and topped bottle 31 with it. This one is specially marked -- next time we want a white we'll open it, understanding this one isn't clear. We drank the remainder in the glass -- it is unsightly but quite delicious.

FYI, the "glass" is an 8 oz measuring cup that is shaped like a regular drinking glass, much taller than typical measuring cups in the USA. Like all other equipment, it was cleaned and sanitized prior to our beginning.

This morning my son is soaking labels (nope, didn't listen to "soak 'em as you get 'em" from the older winemaker) ... 🤣

We are meeting for lunch and then bottling his Carménère kit.

Some 4th of July wine work. I have a double batch of merlot that’s been aging since February in one 5G and one 6G carboys. I took the five, racked into a 3G and bottled the rest (10 750ml). I need some topping up wine for the Boudreaux and think the Merlot will work well for that.
The fireworks had all the animals in an uproar last night. Horses and goats were quite agitated as were the dogs. A raccoon even tried to take refuge in the barn. All is calm this morning though.

Been there, done that! Love it! Any sightings of girls in flatbed Fords?
No sightings, but we were on the lookout! Taking advantage of the opportunity, there‘s actually a red, flatbed Ford that is parked right there at the corner. Not much else in Winslow…….

Been pretty successful filling our time here with activities, all the hiking areas still closed all around Sedona, pretty much of a bummer for a hiking vacation. Did Winslow, Meteor Crater, Apache Death Cave, and some driving on the old Route 66 roadway yesterday. We were up that way for the only hike we found open, the Walnut Canyon Island Trail, Hopi Nation cave dwellings cut into the cliffs. Very nicely layed out hike, total of one mile, with 673 steps / stairs to get up / down to the dwellings. Pretty easy going down, more challenging coming up, especially for sea level dwellers operating at 7,000 feet above sea level.

Latest posts

Back