What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember carrying buckets of pond water to flush the toilet for a week in 1993, in Georgia. Blizzard from Maine to Florida.

I remember that blizzard! I was flying from Berlin to NY, and the captain came on the intercom. He explained first in German, and I was unsure of the details of what he said, but it sounded BAD. Then he spoke in English. Remember, this was about 7 hours into an 8-hour flight. As I recall, his words were: "We cannot land at JFK due to snow. We are being rerouted to the next-closest available airport. This is Orlando, FL." So we flew another 2-3 hours, and then I spent the next 2.5 days at the Orlando airport!

That
I remember that blizzard! I was flying from Berlin to NY, and the captain came on the intercom. He explained first in German, and I was unsure of the details of what he said, but it sounded BAD. Then he spoke in English. Remember, this was about 7 hours into an 8-hour flight. As I recall, his words were: "We cannot land at JFK due to snow. We are being rerouted to the next-closest available airport. This is Orlando, FL." So we flew another 2-3 hours, and then I spent the next 2.5 days at the Orlando airport!
That will forever be the storm I will judge all other winter storms by. It was also the first time I experienced thunder snow.

I’ve been building a quirky cabinet that’s 8 feet long , has 13 different shaped and sized drawers a couple doors and three open nooks. I’m using a Festool domino tool to join all the pieces together. It’s been a challenge designi7F7E6A87-67F3-4624-A9D7-794CFC1D9514.jpegD59A3552-A10A-419D-953D-F6A996F4FE7C.jpegng it. This is the top and the frames laid out, not glued

What yeast did you use for the Malbec?
have done chilean malbec twice now.
2018 i split the batch using d254 and d80. kept separate for about 9 months. blended in the barrel. came out amazing.

2020 i used avante. yet to be bottled. currently in barrel.

Grapes were from different years with very different acid levels at crush so it’s hard for a direct comparison, but for whatever reason the 2018 d254/80 combo i did was the superior wine — at least so far.

virtual wine tasting together with my folks tonight. Aussie wines 🇦🇺 View attachment 72045View attachment 72046View attachment 72047
nice little byproduct of this was the bottles. I saved some to use as extras containers when ending up with funky amounts. And also to avoid always using the vacuVin on bottles i use to top up the barrel.

They are half the 375 halfers
1/4 bottles -187.5mL. always good to have some odd sized containers. 8BD9F2A8-8A97-4ACA-9E06-D843B33DCE55.jpeg

Today was one of those unexpected twists kind of day. A neighbor stopped by to say the couple a few houses up the street were having a moving sale and they had a garage full of tools I should look at. I was on my way over to the transfer station to recycle the pile of boxes we seem to accumulate every month since we buy so much on line now days. I had no intention of stopping but as I drove past, one of the tools I've wanted since I took wood working in High school, a small Lathe, sat in their driveway. A good friend makes exotic wood pens, drinking stoppers, cork screws even a Lame he gave me when I started making sourdough and I figured this lathe would work for doing some of that also. After making deal for the lathe and table I noticed some "pen blanks" on a workbench and said "you won't be needing those without the lathe how about throwing them in?" He didn't do that but offered all the blanks and supplies and kits he had stashed away for another 40.00. So all in I spent 200.00. The bench included all the tools, bits and chisels in the drawers (most unused). The boxes of kits have the workings for Pens, salt and pepper shakers and grinders. There were key chains, candle snuffers, dinner bells, magnifying glasses, letter openers and parts and stuff and stuff and stuff just waiting to have turned wood handles made and attached. Maybe the hardest to collect would have been the exotic woods in bunches of sizes but there are at least 100 and probably closer to 200 total. A turn key hobby ready to plug and play. Just what I needed..... another one..... But A really incredible buy. Now to reorganize the garage.

Lathe Stuff.jpg

Today was one of those unexpected twists kind of day. A neighbor stopped by to say the couple a few houses up the street were having a moving sale and they had a garage full of tools I should look at. I was on my way over to the transfer station to recycle the pile of boxes we seem to accumulate every month since we buy so much on line now days. I had no intention of stopping but as I drove past, one of the tools I've wanted since I took wood working in High school, a small Lathe, sat in their driveway. A good friend makes exotic wood pens, drinking stoppers, cork screws even a Lame he gave me when I started making sourdough and I figured this lathe would work for doing some of that also. After making deal for the lathe and table I noticed some "pen blanks" on a workbench and said "you won't be needing those without the lathe how about throwing them in?" He didn't do that but offered all the blanks and supplies and kits he had stashed away for another 40.00. So all in I spent 200.00. The bench included all the tools, bits and chisels in the drawers (most unused). The boxes of kits have the workings for Pens, salt and pepper shakers and grinders. There were key chains, candle snuffers, dinner bells, magnifying glasses, letter openers and parts and stuff and stuff and stuff just waiting to have turned wood handles made and attached. Maybe the hardest to collect would have been the exotic woods in bunches of sizes but there are at least 100 and probably closer to 200 total. A turn key hobby ready to plug and play. Just what I needed..... another one..... But A really incredible buy. Now to reorganize the garage.

View attachment 73004

Wow! That is fantastic. That is a steal.

View attachment 73004
Great find! I bought a Powermatic 2014 last year and have yet to use it. I even cut down a hard maple tree so I'd have some wood to practice with. I'll get to it eventually. Have fun!

Winter is approaching ( l live in New Zealand ) - so decided to brew up a coconut porter beer. Toasted up 650 gms of coconut - threw it into a nylon bag then co-mingled it with a heavy brown ale extract wort and a stout wort. Built the volume up to 26 lts, placed the fermentation bucket on a heat pad and pitched the yeast.

660B3F97-7594-4163-A912-FF2342AB919A.jpeg17A9BFED-2FA8-4D98-9626-F0336C780B14.jpeg

Latest posts

Back