What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
playing in the wine room while waiting for the temps outside to rise above negative 12 degrees F so I can go ice fishing. I may steep a pile of black tea and mix with some frozen cherries for an experimental wine .❄

I’m hoping for an early spring. My concern is snow, is that usually done by then?
Not nearly as much as I am hoping for one. 😊 March can be iffy with snow - when we moved up here, it was considered to be the snowiest month of the year (with the caveat that it melted more quickly than at other times of the year). Ice out on the lakes varies from mid-March to late April in the state to the west of WI.

Ice storm last evening. Light covering of snow on top of that overnight. More freezing drizzle this morning. 20 degrees out. I'm baking banana/walnut bread.

Replacing blinds and curtains. SWMBO decided she didn't lie the ones we had, so replacement was required. I had no opinion, wasn't even for sure that we had windows.
Watch out, my Dad used to love to tell a story where mom wanted new drapes in their master bedroom. According to him once the drapes went up mom said now the walls look dingy. After having the entire house interior painted she said, now the carpet looks old and worn and the color doesn't really go like it used to. After new carpet was installed she said, well you get the point. ;)

Made a Costco run yesterday!

First time in a warehouse in over a year. I have been ordering stuff online and one of our BFF's have been going down every month or so and have brought us back a few things we can't get online. I felt like a kid in a candy store I tell you. Having one shot down and the booster soon helps plus I figured it would be empty midweek and especially after Super Bowl Sunday. Sure enough it was almost dead by usual standards. They have started to get in Spring stock already. Perused the Electronics (always dangerous). Got lost in the wine aisle (again always dangerous). The meat and seafood aisle......

They even had 3 "free sample" stations which was a complete shock!

Starting to feel like 2021 may somehow be a return to some sense of normalcy.

Ice storm has us stuck at home. Raiding freezer, gonna make jam from plum puree and elderberries (separately, or maybe together).

Last night I racked 2 buckets of kit merlot to carboys to clear. To the medium body I added cherries to make a cherry merlot. To the heavy bodied merlot I added more oak and will age for long time. I also re-racked cranberry wine which is coming along just fine. That's my first fruit wine. Today I checked gas in the tote and the snowblower is at the ready. Now I'm watching my grandson dance to "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow". :)

Last Tuesday, my tankless hot water heater blew up. (It was more than 15 years old, I was planning to replace it prophylactically this summer! :slp ). Tuesday night, I searched and found the one I wanted locally, and went to pick it up on Wed., only to find it was not what was advertised.:mad: Wed. night, I ordered one online, shipped from Seattle, arrived on Saturday AM. Ran into several problems on the install, mostly related to getting rid of/reconfiguring the old installation. Spent all day Sat. and all day Sunday wrestling with plumbing the venting, gas, and water. So much for the St. Valentine's Day I had planned. Looking forward to my first warm shower in almost a week! (Good thing we have a sauna!)

Back