What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Job Rocky, and from those pics your home and yard look absolutely beautiful.

Thanks, Mike. We love the place and it is our 4th home. We have been here longer than any other one (21 years) and even though it is too big for two people, taxes are a killer and there is a lot of landscape maintenance, we cannot bring ourselves to part with it. Our next move is into the urn.

@Rocky : it looks great. I installed a small bluestone patio in our last home and I know how great that poly sand is, but also how quickly Mother Nature wants to take over. Can't imagine the weed pressure on an entire driveway. The 'residue' will be gone in short order, so just enjoy the fruits of your labor and put all that money saved into some juice buckets.

After washing the windows with the telescopic thingie I spend the bulk of my day researching and thinking through the issues relevant to using a blood glucose diabetic monitoring device to measure residual sugar post fermentation. These devices aren’t too expensive on auction sites and I am becoming frustrated trying to buy a range of accurate narrow range hydrometers for accurate measurement of SG and Brix. I think I have cracked it (theoretically) and will keep everyone updated - assuming everything is measurable and repeatable.

Beautiful Wine Room Jason. And a HAMMOCK, never thought of that before, but might not make it back upstairs some Friday nights....
Thank! I have the hammock connected to the two giant beams in the ceiling. Between it and the keg wine it makes it hard to be upstairs 😁

Are those home-grown veggies for your salsa?
These aren't "what I'm doing today", but your post made me think about "what I was doing before." We make salsa every year with as much home-grown as possible and can it. Short growing season here in Alberta though, and no garden, so everything grown in pots, sometimes starting from seed in January. (P.S. Only one of the ghost peppers made it into a portion of the salsa -- my portion. LOL)

Started 1920x1440.JPG
Peppers 1440x1920.jpg
Hot Peppers 1440x1920.jpg
Before 1920x1440.jpg
After 1920x1440.jpg

Okay, it wasn't "today," but here is what I did the night before last. Busy day in the wineroom. I bottled 4 cases of my 2017 Horse Heaven Hills Syrah (from grapes). I racked the WE Private Reserve Sonoma Dry Creek (phew! A lot of names) kit off the gross lees and topped up a couple of bottles of Viognier I made from a juice bucket. And I started an ancient CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo that I have had sitting around forever. It may wind up being tossed, or made into Sangria, but might as well give it a go. It had oxidized notes, and the grape pack had solidified into a brick. It is now fermenting away.

I also seem to have drunk as much wine as I bottled that night! ;) :dg

After washing the windows with the telescopic thingie I spend the bulk of my day researching and thinking through the issues relevant to using a blood glucose diabetic monitoring device to measure residual sugar post fermentation. These devices aren’t too expensive on auction sites and I am becoming frustrated trying to buy a range of accurate narrow range hydrometers for accurate measurement of SG and Brix. I think I have cracked it (theoretically) and will keep everyone updated - assuming everything is measurable and repeatable.
If you can describe a trial you want, I have plenty of meters and test strips in the house. The meters aren't expensive, it's the test strips that get expensive. I believe we just moved to a new series of meters (every meter uses a different test strip), I'd send you one but I highly doubt it would ever get through customs since the strips, or at least they used to, required a valid prescription to purchase.

Just finished watching a handful of videos from today's splashdown and recovery of the SpaceX capsule. Really cool stuff, and I feel like I'm reliving 1969 in some ways. A more modern version, of course, but still...

I think they may need to do some better security (boat) control next time........

That was just pure amateur hour as the boat with a very political sign crossed within 20 ft of the Dragon capsule and the recovery ship..........

Today starts the blending of the 19s. Going to start with the Norton and thinking PV, Tannat, Merlot and Nebbiolo. Then Probably the Tannat with Cab, Merlot, PV and maybe some Norton or Touriga. My plans are to make about 10 gallons each with a dominate varietal of Norton, Tannat, Cab and PV. With so many choices it's not my favorite task but I believe it really makes a difference in the wines.

Back