What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They will. Nice little slice of heaven!
Just waiting for the final quote from the company putting up a 5'9" retaining wall.(House going up 8 feet to get out of flood plain). The builder is going back to the engineer and finding out WHY he thinks we need a 7 foot wide footing under a brick wall going up 5ft-9inch.(118ft on one side & 131 on the other)

I used up the last of my charcoal last night (thanks for the lamest sale ever on charcoal this Memorial Day, Lowes!). Ran to Costco to grab a couple twin packs of the Kingsford Professional and will give that a shot with tonight's dinner. 8th and supposedly final interview for a job I'm pursuing first thing this morning.

I used up the last of my charcoal last night (thanks for the lamest sale ever on charcoal this Memorial Day, Lowes!). Ran to Costco to grab a couple twin packs of the Kingsford Professional and will give that a shot with tonight's dinner. 8th and supposedly final interview for a job I'm pursuing first thing this morning.

Good luck with the interview.

Good luck! You know what the 9th interview will be right? It's pass/fail so no pressure!

View attachment 61996
Good luck with the interview.

Thanks! It went well. Hope to hear something by early next week. Should be interesting starting a new job during this time. Right now, office is open, but no intentions of making people come in for probably the rest of the summer. They are continuing to do everything remote.

Final (I hope) tests on the 2019 Viognier and Petite Manseng from grapes I got through @mainshipfred. Upon tasting the Viognier, I said, 'Done!'. So I just racked it and left it at that. The PM is still pretty acidic tasting (pH at 3.16 the last time I tested), so I adjusted the sugar w/ some simple syrup in hopes to offset that acidity. Think I got it where I want it and hope to bottle both next weekend.

Makeover day for my Weber Genesis. A very deep cleaning, along with new stainless steel heat deflectors, burners and Flavorizer bars. I've neglected it a bit and haven't used it in over a year. Looking forward to hitting the easy button on some upcoming cooks.

How did it come out? I was expecting a pic or two. This months Consumer reports listed the Genesis as their favorite pick for gas grills.

How did it come out? I was expecting a pic or two. This months Consumer reports listed the Genesis as their favorite pick for gas grills.

Before with grates off and bottom heat deflectors off.

1591406164535.jpeg

New interior before Flavorizer bars and grates
1591406246401.jpeg

With new Flavorizer bars:

1591406343828.jpeg

Exterior all cleaned up:

1591406413291.jpeg

This is a grill that originally listed for $900. I bought it at 3years old for $300 and have had it for 4 years (and admittedly abused for the last two). I just spent about $140 for parts and 4 hours of labor to make it look (and work) as if almost brand new.

Got the sailboat off the hard, and into the water. The machines they use to cart these boats around and sling them into the water are amazing. Motored for a short trip down the river into the big lake, and even a bit of a sail (although the winds were very light). I got way too much sun, though!

Last edited:
Got the sailboat off the hard, and into the water. The machines they use to cart these boats around and sling them into the water are amazing. Motored for a short trip down the river into the big lake, and even a bit of a sail (although the winds were very light). I got way too much sun, though!

I could use a day on the water. I miss having a boat.

I miss a day every now and then on the water, but I don't miss the boat and motor maintenance at all, or the cost!

I was lucky. Strictly routine maintenance was all I ever had to do. Did have to replace the axle on the trailer though. Fortunately, my buddy that I owned it with is mechanically inclined and we were able to do it ourselves.

FWIW, I do not own said sailboat. I am fortunate to be in a partnership with the owners, who have had the boat for nearly 20 years. This is our 3rd year. It is not a very expensive boat ('74 Ericson, 27'), probably ~$7k at this time. Simple, well-maintained, fairly new diesel. Our deal is that we pay 1/2 the operating expenses, and get 1/2 the use. It is a good arrangement for both of us. We offered to go 1/2 on ownership, but we decided the formalities weren't worth it for ~$4k change in capital. We may buy the boat from them when it is time for them to let it go, and in the meantime they are literally showing us the ropes.

Havn't tried it yet, but google up hommade charcoal. Looks like it might not be too hard to cook up a batch. Might have to do it a bit different in a high population area, but bet it could still be done. Think I am going to talk the soninlaw into making some, take a lot of the work out of it for me. Like the firewood, go down and pick up a trailer load. Split and ready to burn. Only cost me a splitter and I don't have to run it half the time. Arne.

I finished framing the wine making area and starting paneling. Chose a 5mm underlayment based on cost, material being an actual plywood not composite and the look. It seems to be going up well and feels pretty sturdy considering it's only about 3/16" thick. Used liquid Nails Panel glue and a pneumatic brad gun. Maybe another 3 or 4 days and then the ceiling.

Panels.jpg

I finished framing the wine making area and starting paneling. Chose a 5mm underlayment based on cost, material being an actual plywood not composite and the look. It seems to be going up well and feels pretty sturdy considering it's only about 3/16" thick. Used liquid Nails Panel glue and a pneumatic brad gun. Maybe another 3 or 4 days and then the ceiling.

View attachment 62069

I like the way you tried to match the grain when butting the sheets.

While freezer diving yesterday, I remembered that I had a ~5lb piece of pork belly. Turns out, it's been in there for two years. 😳 I took it out to thaw, and put it in the cure this morning. It definitely had some freezer burn, but I'll let 'er cure for a week then smoke it and see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back