What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I attend (virtually) a UMC and only celebrate communion once a month (used to do it every week in the Episcopal church where I grew up). Last month we almost broke out the wine but ended up using the tea and coffee we were drinking. I like the tortilla chips, that's a nice touch!
We do the same thing, but we do Zoom for Sunday school.

We do the same thing, but we do Zoom for Sunday school.
We just got done watching our Pastor's sermon, very good as always. We've been zooming for our Sunday night prayer meeting, tonight since our county turned from "red" to "yellow" we will have our prayer meeting outside in our prayer garden, the benches are 12 feet apart so I think we are safe there. Be nice to see the few who attend (usually 4 as of late and that includes me). We are scheduled to do an outdoor service in two weeks, but won't meet in the sanctuary until our county goes "green", which hasn't happened in PA yet, I don't even know what criteria they will use in determining it. Their decision, they get paid the big bucks!

I guess I’m not. But, here’s my recipe:

In my 5 gallon brew pot:

5lbs of Rhubarb (frozen)
16lbs sliced Dole strawberries (frozen)
14lbs sugar
1 gallon spring water
1 1/8 EX-V

First I put in the Rhubarb. I sprinkled 1/2 tsp EX-V on the Rhubarb and added 4 pounds of sugar. I then put in the frozen sliced strawberries, the remaining EX-V, 10lbs of sugar and the gallon of water.

I’ll let this sit on my counter for 3 full days. I’ll press the fruit and must into gallon jugs using my fruit press. I’m expecting the fruit to be pure mush as that’s what EX-V does. I’m expecting to get 3.5-4 gallons of must.

I’ll then add the must to a fermenter, top up with spring water to 6.5 gallons. I’ll add some tannin and nutrients. I’ll test pH and add TA as needed. I’ll be pitching E-1118 for the yeast.

Have you used a specific recipe? I guess I should have tried looking one up as this is my first go at Strawberry/Rhubarb wine...lol.

Sounds like a good plan! I haven’t made anything like that but might give it a try! Thanks for posting your recipe. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Way above my pay grade, but two things we are looking at.
Having a dedicated service for folks over 65, and making reservations for services to
make it easier to keep our distance.

Major branches down so out shopping for a new chainsaw since mine was stolen right outta the shed by some scumbag lowlife piece of sh*t. Saw was given to me by my brother in law. Husqvarna. Legit saw. Kept great care of it.

I got lazy with the padlock to the shed. They passed over lots of other equipment. I guess the saw was an easy grab for them.

lowes showed to have them in stock. After an hour they said can’t find them. Hoping I have better luck tractor supply.

Major branches down so out shopping for a new chainsaw since mine was stolen right outta the shed by some scumbag lowlife piece of sh*t. Saw was given to me by my brother in law. Husqvarna. Legit saw. Kept great care of it.

I got lazy with the padlock to the shed. They passed over lots of other equipment. I guess the saw was an easy grab for them.

lowes showed to have them in stock. After an hour they said can’t find them. Hoping I have better luck tractor supply.

I live in a very safe neighborhood but several years ago we had a severe hail storm and most of the houses had some kind of damage. I left for work one morning and found someone stole my older but very reliable diesel generator right out of my truck. It had to be one of the contractors.

I live in a very safe neighborhood but several years ago we had a severe hail storm and most of the houses had some kind of damage. I left for work one morning and found someone stole my older but very reliable diesel generator right out of my truck. It had to be one of the contractors.
And a genny ain’t light! Having your tools stolen, your tools that you’ve come to know well and all their little unique nuances, tools you take care of— having them stolen is such a slap in the face. Normally this happens on a job site. From your home makes it worse I think.

Anyway got a new saw. Along with a new masterlock! No more annoying key to be misplaced.

I'm at work. I'm also checking out the forum and gaining wine making knowledge. It's killing me to wait for my wine making kit and recipe kit to come in the mail.

, 657A7EF2-8F7A-4463-B0F7-03F55411F4A1.jpeg
The Chile juice this season tended to be low TA and high pH. ,, As a Vinters club we are providing all folks with analysis to encourage better wine, and collecting their feedback.
,AEF352F7-4A1F-4532-A6FF-F6636CA07055.jpeg
Starting at TA 0.33%; pH 3.65; 1.091 (Gewurztraminer) it is tempting to split my bucket and ”fix” the TA on half of it, and run “as is“ like most club members will do.

Decision time, ,,, I feel more familiar with fruit products.

Last edited:
, View attachment 61749
The Chile juice this season tended to be low TA and high pH. ,, As a Vinters club we are providing all folks with analysis to encourage better wine, and collecting their feedback.
,View attachment 61747
Starting at TA 0.33%; pH 3.65; 1.091 (Gewurztraminer) it is tempting to split my bucket and ”fix” the TA on half of it, and run “as is“ like most club members will do.

Decision time, ,,, I feel more familiar with fruit products.

With a white wine like that, I would certainly add some tartaric to lower that Ph down to about 3.2 or 3.3 anyway. Would do it all, what's your logic in only doing half??

when one works in a R&D lab one is supposed to always run a control
previous buckets have had variables as 55,65,75,85 F or tannin, max tannin, 0 tannin or Ellen last bucket delivery did 4 clarifiers Vs none

Pull up your panties, add some tartaric to it, and make a good bucket of wine instead of half a bucket of good wine. Let the other club members make the "control" batch for you........LOL!!

Looks like you guys got a pretty good haul there, enjoy!!!

when one works in a R&D lab one is supposed to always run a control
previous buckets have had variables as 55,65,75,85 F or tannin, max tannin, 0 tannin or Ellen last bucket delivery did 4 clarifiers Vs none

I almost understand the reasoning and often wish more folks who made wine did more testing with a control, instead of a I did this and it's an experiment. That being said, I am with John, make one bucket of good wine. It's your wine and you get to do what you want with it.

DeckMisters1.jpgDeckMisters2.jpg
We're at the height of a heat wave here today, possible record of 102 probable. Yesterday though I was very pleasantly surprised when I hooked up to test for the first time the mister system on the deck. It runs around the 3 exposed sides of the entire 12x40 area with nozzles every 24". Only had to replace 3 nozzles and going down to ACE today to pick up an in-line filter and a replacement drain plug but other than that it works just like it's supposed to. Cooled the deck from 101 to 89 in minutes.

Makeover day for my Weber Genesis. A very deep cleaning, along with new stainless steel heat deflectors, burners and Flavorizer bars. I've neglected it a bit and haven't used it in over a year. Looking forward to hitting the easy button on some upcoming cooks.

Latest posts

Back