What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping to finish up latest attempt at watercolor of a 56 Bel Air. Need to put in all the darker details.

Beautiful work, Krafty. Water color is very difficult medium and you have really nailed it. Be sure to post the finished product.

I love the '55-'57 and my first car was a '58 Impala, black convertible with a white top, 348 with three-twos and three on the tree. It had a vacuum linkage and it would plaster me against the seat when the second and third carb kicked in.

All done, at this point, with watercolor, you can't really fix any mistakes only mess thing up so this is as good as this one will get.
View attachment 58818

All done, at this point, with watercolor, you can't really fix any mistakes only mess thing up so this is as good as this one will get.
View attachment 58818

Okay, I made a mistake in my earlier post. I should have said: Mike, you have CRAZY talent, my friend.

Edited to add: Wow! Check out the reflection of the left taillight and the bumper bars in the car's paint, AND the reflection of the car's paint in the bumper bars!

Every wear where I work (Amvets Post 79 , Natick Ma.) they do a "Passion Plunge" for Special Olympics. They raised 26,000 dollars this year.
Feb. 8th.

Bill

Newbie - Fermenting
When I make wine I cannot seem to get my must to bubble for more than 2 days although it does continue to ferment. Am I doing something wrong, have old yeast?
Mark

Newbie - Fermenting
When I make wine I cannot seem to get my must to bubble for more than 2 days although it does continue to ferment. Am I doing something wrong, have old yeast?
Mark

If your hydrometer tells you that things are happening, IE, the hydrometer reading is going from 1.090 down closer to 1.000 and then below, you have nothing to worry about. I would say that out of the 10 years I have been making wine, probably 10 -20 ferments per year at the high end, 5-10 at the low end. Not a one of them has ever looked the same as the last one I did. Trust in the tool you have.

and if by bubbling, you mean through an airlock, the only thing I know about airlocks and buckets, in particular is that they lie to you all the time. The hydrometer cannot lie (unless the must is super-duper thick and messes up the reading)

Newbie - Fermenting
Mark

I use a big mouth 6-gallon fermenter. Once the most active fermentation settles down the bubbler doesn't show any action. That is because the fermenter doesn't seal perfectly so the CO2 is escaping slowly through the seal of the cap instead of being forced through the bubbler. The fermenter is made out of clear plastic so I can see tiny bubbles rising along the top, confirming that fermentation is continuing. I usually rack to a secondary glass carboy once the hydrometer reads 1.010. The bubbler shows activity in the secondary, because of the tight seal, though much slower than initial fermentation.

Last week we visited the in-laws in Lake Havasu City. My father in-law is in the early/mid level stages of dementia and needs help with some of the maintenance and tasks around their home. Instead of visiting every 3 months or so it looks like it's time to start running out there once a month or when needed. Aside from having to do some maintenance work this was a pretty good visit and Chuck was pretty sharp the majority of the time. He's been sending me home with tools every time we visit and insists he'd prefer they end up in my hands rather than some stranger down the road. This trip he gave me a Craftsman drill press and "Sold" me his 1957 Craftsman table saw. Both are better pieces of equipment than what I have in my shop now, are heavy duty steel construction and are in excellent condition. While not worth much (on line searches) he did want what he paid for the saw originally which was 100.00. It's definitely something I'll cherish as the years go on.
CraftsmanSaw.jpg CraftsmanSawFront.jpg CraftsmanSawGuide.jpg

Made a Costco run yesterday. Noticed this right away even in our club.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...coronavirus-suspends-free-samples/4980216002/

Store was not as busy as normal and no wait in line. Not a roll of TP to be had. Didn't need any but was interested to see if people were wiping out the shelves here as well. Sure enough No TP, No wipes, no hand sanitizer. We did see nitrile gloves and picked up a box to have on hand. Gas is now under $2 a gallon. We are headed out to SoCal in a few weeks. Driving.......

Latest posts

Back