What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had fun testing pH with my new pH reader. Need to adjust 3. Not sure what's going on with the Pinot Noir, but it has absolutely no nose. Petite Verdot is phenomenally complex, even for only 5 mos old. Hope I don't muck it up.

Also thrilled with the new wireless thermometer/hygrometer - affirmed that my wine cupboard is, in fact, awesome. Not an actual surprise. Now I need to relocate the reader to the garage to see how things fare.

testing ph.jpg

temp.png

Volunteered to help get some electric done at a winery I'm building. The winemaker chose to take the electric out of our contract to do himself. The Owners bought lunch and brought out a couple of bottles of Petit Verdot as they are huge fans fans of it. Lots of shop talk about farm winery regs and wine making in general. After an hour lunch and wine it was a little hard to go back to work. I also thieved an off dry and dry bottle of my peach wine and it didn't last long, made me feel kind of good. Tomorrow might have to be a bottling day.

Volunteered to help get some electric done at a winery I'm building. The winemaker chose to take the electric out of our contract to do himself. The Owners bought lunch and brought out a couple of bottles of Petit Verdot as they are huge fans fans of it. Lots of shop talk about farm winery regs and wine making in general. After an hour lunch and wine it was a little hard to go back to work. I also thieved an off dry and dry bottle of my peach wine and it didn't last long, made me feel kind of good. Tomorrow might have to be a bottling day.

Soooo... He renegotiated the terms of the electrical work to be lunch and a bottle of wine? :D

Moved the 2018 Chilean Carmenere/Petite Verdot out of the new 40L, then moved the 2019 CA Zin/Petite Sirah in.

Last taste of the Carmenere gave me a decent amount of oak, but I didn't get any today. Still, the time in the barrel seems to have mellowed the black pepper nose and flavors, so I'm happy. The Zin is wonderfully fruity and spicy (as it should be), but a little on the light side. Hoping some concentration from the barrel aging will give it a little more 'boom', but it's pretty good as it is.

I am making a triple batch of WE LE2019 Pecorino Pinot Grigio and today I racked from my primary fermenter to my secondary fermenters. I wanted to show how my primary with spigots makes this a breeze. The whole operation from beginning to end and including cleanup did not take a half hour.

The first shot shows the primary fermenter on the table with my secondary carboys sulfited and stoppered on the floor. The second shot shows the flow of the wine from the primary to the secondary fermenter, third shot, almost done and fourth shot all done including a 750 ml bottle of dregs that is clearing and will be used for topping off. Lastly, my cleaned primary is drying on the table.

100_1405.JPG 100_1406.JPG 100_1407.JPG 100_1408.JPG 100_1409.JPG

I am replacing a 91-year-old cast iron sink with a 91-year-old porcelain sink!

The 1929 Kohler cast-iron pedestal bathroom sink had chips and rust. I like the look of the vintage sink, but they do not sell cast-iron pedestal sinks any more; furthermore, I've read there is like one guy in the country who reglasses cast-iron fixtures, and he has a several-year lead time (and it is expensive).

So I picked up a 1929 American Standard porcelain sink from Craigslist for ~$50. I like cast-iron, but the nice thing about porcelain is that if it is not chipped or cracked (and this one isn't), you really cannot tell 1929 from 2019.

I have the old one out and am cleaning up the 91 years of accumulated dirt underneath, but that is probably the easy part!

Post some pictures when you finish up Paul, I love when someone takes the time to keep something as authentic as possible.
Mike

Sure thing, Mike! Here is the old sink, some progress pix, and the "new" one:

DSCN3536.jpg DSCN3540.jpg DSCN3541.jpg DSCN3550.jpg DSCN3551.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful work, Paul. Nice job on the tile floor, too.

2010 was a long time ago. And the Packers won, BTW.

RE: The 'Stillers', Yes, and I am afraid it is going to be a very, very long time before they are ever back again. You can't win in the NFL without a QB and a coach that knows what he is doing.

Latest posts

Back