What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just took a trip to the LHBS to load up on bottles and corks. Picked up x30 cases— about 2/3 of what I’ll need over the next few months. Decent prices though bottles did go up since the 2017 catalog I was referencing. Natural corks still $9.50/50ct. (19¢ ea.)
While there I also grabbed random supplies. One of which was that faucet hookup bottle/carboy washer. But don’t want to put pressure against the faucet so will rig something up. Fred I remember you did this exact thing. Could you do me a solid and post a pic of what you built? Thank ya kindly @mainshipfred

No more grapes due in at Pintos but they do have x11 lugs of Wash St Cab remaining....hmmm. I shouldn’t have even asked. Just torturing myself lol.

Just took a trip to the LHBS to load up on bottles and corks. Picked up x30 cases— about 2/3 of what I’ll need over the next few months. Decent prices though bottles did go up since the 2017 catalog I was referencing. Natural corks still $9.50/50ct. (19¢ ea.)
While there I also grabbed random supplies. One of which was that faucet hookup bottle/carboy washer. But don’t want to put pressure against the faucet so will rig something up. Fred I remember you did this exact thing. Could you do me a solid and post a pic of what you built? Thank ya kindly @mainshipfred

No more grapes due in at Pintos but they do have x11 lugs of Wash St Cab remaining....hmmm. I shouldn’t have even asked. Just torturing myself lol.

Here you go, the box fit over the side of the sink with quick disconnects.

Attachments

• Bottle washer.jpg
    Bottle washer.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34

Get the Cab...

Thanks a lot. I’ll definitely be referencing this when making one up. And I didn’t realize you doubled them up like that. I grabbed the standard metal type— not the black type on the left of your pic. Not sure if one is better than the other.
I like the quick disconnects idea. So last question- aside from the ‘T’ I assume your using on the hose, are you using a standard hose that you modified or a hose that is manufactured already with those proper connections?

Thanks a lot. I’ll definitely be referencing this when making one up. And I didn’t realize you doubled them up like that. I grabbed the standard metal type— not the black type on the left of your pic. Not sure if one is better than the other.
I like the quick disconnects idea. So last question- aside from the ‘T’ I assume your using on the hose, are you using a standard hose that you modified or a hose that is manufactured already with those proper connections?

The disconnects come with all the fittings you need to hook up to a standard hose. The second one is a tubing washer

I think I may have misread your question. There is no "T" I just move the hose to whichever one I'm using.

Built a shelf in my garage to hold my carboys. Garage gets close to freezing in winter, but not below freezing. Should help cold crash and get the tartar crystals to drop out. This is just for the stuff I made this fall (and not quite all of it, 5 more carboys in basement that won't fit here).
Will move them down to the basement cellar in spring to age in a more stable environment.

20191116_222527.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration Fred. Rigged up the bottle washer- and that little guy packs a punch! I was impressed.
Likely changing it to a hot water line soon if I get around to it. But not crucial.

Trying to streamline and get everything done in one day. Have about 20-25 cases to do.
- Rinsing/sanitizing/drying station
-Filling/Corking
-Capsuling/Labeling.
All about that prep work!
Next up on the list- labels. Got too many different wines tho. Need to put some thought into it. Labels can get pricy. Adjustments.JPG

Thanks for the inspiration Fred. Rigged up the bottle washer- and that little guy packs a punch! I was impressed.
Likely changing it to a hot water line soon if I get around to it. But not crucial.

Trying to streamline and get everything done in one day. Have about 20-25 cases to do.
- Rinsing/sanitizing/drying station
-Filling/Corking
-Capsuling/Labeling.
All about that prep work!
Next up on the list- labels. Got too many different wines tho. Need to put some thought into it. Labels can get pricy. View attachment 57590

You're all set, is the plastic bottle washer for sanitation?

You're all set, is the plastic bottle washer for sanitation?

Yeah I use that exclusively for sanitizing bottles. That’s a great little tool. With the cheap plastic, springs, and multiple moving parts —- I didn’t anticipate it lasting long. But sucker still works like new. (Knock on wood)

@Ajmassa Looks good, but I recommend you electrically insulate the brass from the steel strap, otherwise galvanic corrosion will make a mess of your hardware.

Agreed. And that thought was there initially. But I just slapped it together with what I had laying around and figured the amount of use will be minimal.

But no sooner after I finished I was 2nd guessing myself- replacing the tie-wire with a zip tie and steel roll with copper. The pic taken beforehand obviously. In my area nothing is ever safe from being ripped apart and redone in a moments notice!

My wife does volunteer work at Church, decorating sets for the kids program. Every once in a while I get tasked with building something.
The kids Christmas play this year is Peanuts themed, and our middle daughter is playing Schroeder. I was tasked with building a small imitation piano for her to pretend to play.
At first I drew it up roughly 2x2 as this seemed about the right scale compared to the comics, but being that they are on a huge stage they wanted it bigger.
So 3x3 it is. Built the basic structure20191119_144253.jpg today, my wife will 'skin' it and paint it.

My wife does volunteer work at Church, decorating sets for the kids program. Every once in a while I get tasked with building something.
The kids Christmas play this year is Peanuts themed, and our middle daughter is playing Schroeder. I was tasked with building a small imitation piano for her to pretend to play.
At first I drew it up roughly 2x2 as this seemed about the right scale compared to the comics, but being that they are on a huge stage they wanted it bigger.
So 3x3 it is. Built the basic structureView attachment 57611 today, my wife will 'skin' it and paint it.

I like it. Looks good!

Roofers are here today putting a new roof on our house and garage.Was hoping the shingles would last until spring but wind storm a few weeks ago ripped a bunch off and you could see plywood. Had an inch of snow on the roof but they swept/shoveled it off and got to work.
Our main bathroom didn't have an exhaust fan/vent, so I had them add the appropriate vent in the roof, then today I belly crawled in the attic (through blown in insulation) to attach it a flexpipe to it and run it over to where I was installing the fan.
Unfortunately, they only put the vent about 5-6 feet up from the edge of the roof, which inside the attic translates to like 12" of working room. After much cursing, nails in the back of my head, it's installed. Note to self, if I ever need to do that again make sure they install the roof vent more like 10-15 feet up.

Latest posts

Back