What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By a stroke of pure luck (and a little good timing), my kids were in the Nationals World Series parade today. They had a ball. Were able to get on the busses that the players rode on (before the players arrived) and managed to get some interaction with players, including autographs from Anibal Sanchez, Matt Adams, Yan Gomes and Sean Doolittle. Then they sat right behind the players families for the rally following the parade. A day they'll not forget for quite some time. It was a gorgeous day here in DC - the wife and I really enjoyed the festivities too.

IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1262.JPG IMG_1285.JPG

Extending my weekend and taking today off. Gonna break in the new 40L barrel, finish chromatography on the 2019 wines, label the 2017 Merlot and Cab Franc and replace all the smoke detectors.

Bit of a scare this morning. I set the new barrel upright and the hoops came off! :eek: I guess that's what two months in <40% humidity will do. I did my best using a hammer and flathead screwdriver to tighten them up but had immediate leaks when I put hot water on the head. Luckily, @mainshipfred was at his shop, which is only about two miles from my house. Of course, he had a proper chisel and 5lb sledge so I ran over there and we got everything nice and tight. It's been full of water for a couple hours now, and not a drip or drop has been seen.

Bit of a scare this morning. I set the new barrel upright and the hoops came off! :eek: I guess that's what two months in <40% humidity will do. I did my best using a hammer and flathead screwdriver to tighten them up but had immediate leaks when I put hot water on the head. Luckily, @mainshipfred was at his shop, which is only about two miles from my house. Of course, he had a proper chisel and 5lb sledge so I ran over there and we got everything nice and tight. It's been full of water for a couple hours now, and not a drip or drop has been seen.

YIKES! Glad you and Fred got it, uhhh, shipshape!

Opening morning of youth rifle season at WD Ranch. Hard to believe that 90 days ago there was 10 feet of water here. Food plots are in terrific shape, seems that there are a lot less deer here to eat them down, the prolonged flood took a toll. Deer forced to high ground were frequent roadway collision victims, and many more were lost to starvation. Perhaps some just didn’t return. No matter, beautiful 26 F morning with my 13 year old son, nature will handle the rest..........
5269129B-B3EA-470D-9610-DA6AD1D659E5.jpeg

Did a craft show today ,was pretty good one. Now need to replenish inventory
for next show in two weeks. I am semi retired ?? Work part time also!!

Bill

You don't make him like eat the heart or anything do you? :eek:

Opening morning of youth rifle season at WD Ranch. Hard to believe that 90 days ago there was 10 feet of water here. Food plots are in terrific shape, seems that there are a lot less deer here to eat them down, the prolonged flood took a toll. Deer forced to high ground were frequent roadway collision victims, and many more were lost to starvation. Perhaps some just didn’t return. No matter, beautiful 26 F morning with my 13 year old son, nature will handle the rest..........
View attachment 57476

No, a little blood on the face ritual for his first. Cooked some heart once, not a fan, it’s very tender, but the consistency is sorta like liver. Never really could reconcile the two and just stick to the meat. He got a pretty nice one this evening.

Filling up the new 40L with the 2018 Chilean Carmenere/Petite Verdot. The last of my grapes from Harford Vineyard and Winery.

Also managed to have a little date with the wife this afternoon. We went out to lunch and saw JoJo Rabbit. Good movie.

Latest posts

Back