What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm gonna take advantage of these and work out a bit while on them (no stud images with a beer gut necessary).

LOL All it did was make me (even more) hungry!

Wow, Mike. Thoughts of Craig's beer gut did ANYTHING but make me hungry. But to each, his own.

Wow, this stuff does make you hungry, even with the image of a beer gut on an older individual in my brain. The energy I had with only five hours sleep made me feel like I was 20 yrs old again. Plus my arthritic knee and hip haven't worked better in years! Hasn't really helped the reaction to the sumac all that much, but I've heard two to three days until you get an improvement. Might have held down the flare ups a bit (when out in the heat and sweating it blows up and really starts to itch). Only side effect for me was falling asleep. I'll need to drink a bit more alcohol tonight and see if I can eliminate that side effect.

Going to be a busy day at the winery today to get ready for next weekend bottling. Going to filter, check pH and adjust sulfites for the Chenin Blanc, Riesling, Meritage, PV, CF, a 90/10 CS/Merlot and possibly a Touriga/Tempranillo blend. During the week I'll have a few labels to design and then print all of them.

20190810-085701.jpg

Measuring my grape brix. It is getting there!

Got back this afternoon from a weekend with my younger brother up at our cabin. I can never remember being up there in August with such beautiful weather. I'm sitting here in my basement typing this and it seems a bit warm down here. Mind you it's 69* F and rather dry. Nothing like dewpoints in the 50's in August, I could get used to this! Another interesting thing is that it seemed green and lush up north, but rather parched and dry down here (grass is starting to go dormant/brown). Amazing what a difference 180 miles makes.

Bad thing is that my poison sumac seemed to be taming down quite well up there. Now that I'm back here it's flaring up again. And here I thought the steroids were working!

Edit: I've been away from my computer since late last week, so I apologize for boasting how nice of a weekend it has been here after seeing the reports of the ridiculously high heat indices in the South. If I could send some of this down there I would.

Last edited:
Yesterday's Bottling, 102 bottles! It was my wife's birthday so I didn't have a chance to bottle the Meritage or Touriga and still want to back sweeten the Riesling but the labels are made.
View attachment 55908

Brother did I screw up. The Tempranillo and Touriga are 2018 and the Riesling is 2019. Good thing I just ordered another 400 labels.

Last edited:
Took the older 2 kids camping this weekend to try out our new (to us) camper, my wife stayed home with the baby.
All in all, we like it. Electric water pump for the sink is nice, much more roomy than our old one and the table is nicer too.
I do miss the add-a-room though, kept the bugs out. I kept the add-a-room from our old camper but need to try to adapt it to fit the awning on this one.

Campground was one we'd not been to before, only a half hour from home. It is on a river but for the most part everyone uses the 10-acre man made lake for swimming and fishing (it's stocked but just catch/release for most species I think). We only ended up feeding the fish several worms, never caught anything despite tons of nibbles.20190810_182810.jpg 20190809_124111.jpg 20190809_182052.jpg 20190809_180323.jpg

"Heading to California with an aching in my heart"... more "dread" of the traffic than anything. A little business, another funeral (wife's childhood friend's father) and that gives us the excuse to hang out a couple of days and visit some family and friends. Maybe 5 or 6 days.

Yesterday's Bottling, 102 bottles! It was my wife's birthday so I didn't have a chance to bottle the Meritage or Touriga and still want to back sweeten the Riesling but the labels are made.
View attachment 55908

They are all bottled now plus 26 Petit Verdot. Today's total was 136. Starting to look like a cellar instead of Old Mother Hubbard's Cupboard.

Too hot to do anything. We're inside watching the Little League World Series. The Virginia team from ~5 miles from us kicked some serious butt today. A new friend my son met at baseball camp a few weeks back played in the LL Home Run Derby yesterday. He came in 2nd place. We're watching that on TV shortly.

Quiet morning, with everyone sleeping late. I'm finalizing my plans for harvest, including how I'll be able to rotate wines through my 40L barrel that will arrive soon. I have 11 gallons of 2018 Chilean Carmenere/Petite Verdot that'll go first. It's about ready to bottle, but needs a bit of oak. This fall, I'm doing 2, ~12 gallon batches - both field blends. One is a Zin/Petite Sirah. The other will likely be Touriga Nacional and something - probably Syrah, and maybe a bit of Tempranillo. Still waiting to see what will be available. I'm also getting some Virginia Viognier and Petite Manseng (Thanks, Fred!). These will be my first white wines from grapes. I may head over to Bull Run Winery (a daunting, 6 mile journey) this afternoon to grab some of their Viognier. Fred's friend is the winemaker there (and grape connection), and I want to sample their style.

I'm Also putting my supply order together for yeasts, nutrients and MLB. Getting excited for Harvest 2019!

Quiet morning, with everyone sleeping late. I'm finalizing my plans for harvest, including how I'll be able to rotate wines through my 40L barrel that will arrive soon. I have 11 gallons of 2018 Chilean Carmenere/Petite Verdot that'll go first. It's about ready to bottle, but needs a bit of oak. This fall, I'm doing 2, ~12 gallon batches - both field blends. One is a Zin/Petite Sirah. The other will likely be Touriga Nacional and something - probably Syrah, and maybe a bit of Tempranillo. Still waiting to see what will be available. I'm also getting some Virginia Viognier and Petite Manseng (Thanks, Fred!). These will be my first white wines from grapes. I may head over to Bull Run Winery (a daunting, 6 mile journey) this afternoon to grab some of their Viognier. Fred's friend is the winemaker there (and grape connection), and I want to sample their style.

I'm Also putting my supply order together for yeasts, nutrients and MLB. Getting excited for Harvest 2019!

Syrah sounds good with the Touriga but I have 7 gallons of Tempranillo I'm trying to figure out what to do with. I can give swap you a gallon or so if it works out to be what it needs.

Myself, I have the C/D loaded up getting ready to leave and help Berrycrush harvest and crush his grapes at his vineyard. My first time harvesting grapes.

Latest posts

Back