What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got stung about 9 times at my moms back in September of last year. Nest was under the deck in the backyard and just stepping on a deck board that was loose stirred them up and they swarmed me before i even knew what hit me.

upload_2019-7-27_17-26-21.jpeg

upload_2019-7-27_17-28-30.jpeg

Had a similar experience about a year and a half ago at an early spring baseball practice. Kids had noticed 'em flying around, but it wasn't until I rested my hand on the back of the bench in the dugout that we knew where they were living - about 6 inches under where my hand went. I got hit 3 or 4 times in very quick succession on my left hand. Luckily, it was a practice and we just moved to the other dugout.

I had just weed wacked the area not more than 3 weeks ago and didn't "find" them. Now maybe I was lucky and never ventured to close to the hive opening. Hit them with a 4X generic Tractor Supply product. I know from prior usage that it probably should be illegal to use, it's really potent.

I used a 1 gallon sprayer to apply the death juice so I could keep my distance. Still had a bit left so if I see activity tomorrow I'll man up and stick the end down the hole. Just a little too jumpy to do it tonight.

Wow, Craig, good luck and be careful!
I think it worked out for the best. Always had to take along an epi-pen when we traveled. No hives, no restricted breathing and I'm alive today, so I think after talking with my doctor I may just stop purchasing the expensive, last a year, need a prescription, epi-pens. Other nice thing is that I must have got a bit of the spray to seep deep enough to kill the underground hive. No activity today at all. Now if I could get these bites to stop itching! Tried medi-quick, calamine lotion, baking soda and water, aloe....nothing works. The itching is worse than when I had poison ivy all over my legs one year. Every moment in the pew this morning was a living heck, not from the sermon but if I moved it itched!

Got any Benadryl? That worked for me. They also have it in a lotion IIRC. Should be able to find generic as well.

Now if I could get these bites to stop itching! Tried medi-quick, calamine lotion, baking soda and water, aloe....nothing works. The itching is worse than when I had poison ivy all over my legs one year. Every moment in the pew this morning was a living heck, not from the sermon but if I moved it itched!

Just finished the blending trials. We are leaving the Cab Franc alone, but are going add 10% to the Merlot. The change that small amount made to the Merlot was remarkable.

Got any Benadryl? That worked for me. They also have it in a lotion IIRC. Should be able to find generic as well.
Got some benadryl cream, plus they have some 1% hydrocortizone lotion at work (in the med emergency kit). It was pretty bad and almost went to the doctor, but on Wednesday it stopped itching, unless I rubbed against something, and today I was able to pull up my socks and wear jeans to work. I think the baking soda and water did the best job of calming down a flare up, much cheaper too.

I ended up seeing my PCP here in NM about 10 days after I was stung as my hand was still swollen and hot to the touch. They ended up giving me a 5 day supply of steroids to help with the inflammation and swelling. That helped quite a bit.

Got some benadryl cream, plus they have some 1% hydrocortizone lotion at work (in the med emergency kit). It was pretty bad and almost went to the doctor, but on Wednesday it stopped itching, unless I rubbed against something, and today I was able to pull up my socks and wear jeans to work. I think the baking soda and water did the best job of calming down a flare up, much cheaper too.

I ended up seeing my PCP here in NM about 10 days after I was stung as my hand was still swollen and hot to the touch. They ended up giving me a 5 day supply of steroids to help with the inflammation and swelling. That helped quite a bit.
Yeah, everything online said to wait at least 7 days. The sites on my legs are much less scary than they were earlier in the week. You have to worry about blood bore infections, that's why I was so upset about the itching. Would have helped if I could have wrapped my hands like a mummy. Did a really good job of not scratching, so I think I'm being rewarded with no scarring. Steroids are pretty cool, but I don't like to take them unless prescribed. My brother and I used some when skiing at SnowMass one weekend. Helped you get back on the slope the next day for sure.

@Boatboy24, @Cynewulf and a friend and possibly @berrycrush were nice enough to offer to help me with my OVZ/Syrah/Petite Sirah blend so I'm cleaning and straightening up the winery. If we are able to find the right blend without drinking too much I may also try twisting their arms to help with the Touriga Nacional/Tempranillo blend.

@Boatboy24, @Cynewulf and a friend and possibly @berrycrush were nice enough to offer to help me with my OVZ/Syrah/Petite Sirah blend so I'm cleaning and straightening up the winery. If we are able to find the right blend without drinking too much I may also try twisting their arms to help with the Touriga Nacional/Tempranillo blend.

I've been training my liver all week! LOL!

Well, I made a big point about not using steroids. Went to see my general practitioner today. Seems that if your body is a third or more covered with a reaction to one of the poisons (my choice was sumac) they prescribe you a steroid (prednisone in my case). At least they are cheap. I think I'm gonna take advantage of these and work out a bit while on them (no stud images with a beer gut necessary). I don't start till tomorrow morning since I guess they can make you a bit antsy. Mine is a 5-4-3-2-1 x 2 course, so 10 days in total. Guess I shouldn't have gloated to my wife that I didn't get any hives from the bee stings. On the bright side I already had a tube of Benadryl laying around!

Oh, and Aveeno colloidal oatmeal bath is just the bomb! That's the reason I'm down here on the computer and not trying to find things to rub up against to scratch an itch. It doesn't count as scratching if you don't implement another body part to do the scratching, in my book at least.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back