What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked my 4 carboys this afternoon and put in some oak sticks. I still have to top off tomorrow and I will have a little taste. To busy to taste today. Still need to scrub the carboys and sanitize before storage.

Watched the oldest Son pack up his stuff, said our goodbyes and watched him get in the car with my Wife for the trip to BWI. He got right through security (they give most military members and easy ride through) and his plane takes off in an hour or so. I'm bummed but very fortunate he could spend the second Christmas in a row with us. If things go well we'll see him later this Spring when my daughter graduates from high school. I promised him a brisket on the offset smoker.

Everyone always said they can't wait until they're out of the house. I thought I'd be like that, but I think I'm changing my mind...

Doorbell just rang and my niece who is about to start training on the old USS Eisenhower in a few weeks stopped by. She'll deploy next Winter. What a bonus!

Update: he landed fine, lot's of T-storms in the panhandle, but he said it was the smoothest landing he's had so far. Give that pilot a drink or two!
It’s my youngest that is packing so I feel your unease ( it can’t exactly be pain cause we are so proud ) I don’t really drink wine but I sure love to make it, fills up my day.

Drove home from Conn. to Ohio today after spending a great holiday with our sons family. Played a lot and sampled a lot of wines! Also met up with a member from near Pittsburgh today and bought some carboys and floor corker. Great guy to do business with thanks Bill.

Young English walnut trees are starting to put out a good crop. Got about 14 gallons in 3 buckets.

Started cracking nuts today. Love cookies with lots of walnuts.

Errands this morning, including a run out to Jay's Brewing. It's a very short distance from our old house, but I don't think I've been there since we moved in 2015. Anyway, I need a carboy, and they have 'em. I think I'll also pick up a Fermonster and try some EM on the Bourbon Barrel Zin kit that's been sitting in the basement for a while now. Hoping I'll have time to swing by and see Fred's new walk-in on the way home.

Experimenting with sausage recipes using an attachment to the Kitchenaid mixer my wife bought me for Christmas. As any one who has used this attachment knows, it's a challenge to make a larger batch of sausages. For right now I'm making 2 to 4 lb batches, so I'm willing to put up with the hassle. Have already shopped for a dedicated meat grinder and upright stuffer. Will purchase once I'm sure I'll keep making batches, for now everyone (especially my GF son) loves what I've made. Working on a chicken/spinach/cheese batch, a veal Weisswurst, a second version of Bratwurst (pork based), and a lamb sausage (merguez type). So far my messed up attempts have been very edible. Will eventually get into adding the "pink salt" and start smoking a few. For now just cooking traditionally with some wood added to the charcoal. I love hobbies with edible outcomes (my largeness attests to that (I resemble that comment)).

Yea 100lbs of sausage is about all it can handle! LOL

IMG_3783.JPG

Experimenting with sausage recipes using an attachment to the Kitchenaid mixer my wife bought me for Christmas. As any one who has used this attachment knows, it's a challenge to make a larger batch of sausages.......

Don't kid me, you have good stuff to produce your snasages, I've seen the pictures in other posts! (https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/german-sausage.58452/) The Kitchenaid can grind just fine, it's getting the ground meat back through it to stuff the casing. And I put it back in the freezer for several hours before attempting the "stuff". I almost threw out the mixer tonight and this is all I made (image below). I'm picking up a LEM 1606 at Field and Stream tomorrow, it's worth the money. The chicken sausage pictured was incredibly good. Did a test patty and the wifey and son loved it. Youngest daughter stated "tastes like sausage", she's never been a sausage type eater. She's my hot dog girl, not surprised at the reaction. This was about a three pound trial batch.

FYI, I bought the casings from Wegman's. They were from Syracuse Casing Inc. Soaked them for a few hours in water with several rinses (were originally packaged in salt) and passed some water through them several times. Work really well, no blow outs and I did push them to the limit (since my setup was less than optimal).

1-5-19_chicken-sausage.jpg

Last edited:
I use a Gvode KitchenAide attachment to grind as much as 100lbs of meat without any problems but yes the Hakka sausage stuffer is worth every penny as a dedicated sausage stuffer. Those look great BTW!

Don't kid me, you have good stuff to produce your snasages, I've seen the pictures in other posts!

I use a Gvode KitchenAide attachment to grind as much as 100lbs of meat without any problems but yes the Hakka sausage stuffer is worth every penny as a dedicated sausage stuffer. Those look great BTW!
I looked at that unit and may upgrade at some point. Grinding with the current attachment is okay, but stuffing was nearly impossible. I bought a LEM 1606 today and stuffed 3 lbs of Weisswurst in about 7 minutes. That chicken sausage pictured is really good, especially grilled over charcoal. First time I ever made a chicken sausage.

Don't kid me, you have good stuff to produce your snasages, I've seen the pictures in other posts! (https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/german-sausage.58452/) The Kitchenaid can grind just fine, it's getting the ground meat back through it to stuff the casing. And I put it back in the freezer for several hours before attempting the "stuff". I almost threw out the mixer tonight and this is all I made (image below). I'm picking up a LEM 1606 at Field and Stream tomorrow, it's worth the money. The chicken sausage pictured was incredibly good. Did a test patty and the wifey and son loved it. Youngest daughter stated "tastes like sausage", she's never been a sausage type eater. She's my hot dog girl, not surprised at the reaction. This was about a three pound trial batch.

FYI, I bought the casings from Wegman's. They were from Syracuse Casing Inc. Soaked them for a few hours in water with several rinses (were originally packaged in salt) and passed some water through them several times. Work really well, no blow outs and I did push them to the limit (since my setup was less than optimal).

View attachment 52772

Are you willing to post your recipe for the chicken sausages? They look great!!!

Are you willing to post your recipe for the chicken sausages? They look great!!!

The recipe is in the comments below the video (click on the YouTube link in the window and click on show more once you are redirected to the YouTube page).

I omitted the feta cheese because someone other than myself used it on a salad before I could make the sausage. Also didn't have lemon pepper, so used some white pepper and some lemon juice. Also my thigh to breast ratio was 3:1, not 2.5:1.66 like the recipe states.

Had one for breakfast and one for lunch today. They give you the gift of a nice aftertaste for a few hours after eating them, especially if enjoyed with your favorite carbonated beverage.

Stuffed some kielbasa tonight (drying out in the fridge uncovered), plan on smoking it tomorrow after work if the weather cooperates.

Latest posts

Back