What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow I'm taking my special needs clients to the Ravens Training Camp at McDaniel College. It'll be fun.

Enjoy yourself, and thanks. Being the older brother and caregiver of my autistic brother, i've come to respect those who take on the challenges because they want to, and not because it was handed to them. It's right up there with military service..

Thanks. It's really tough sometimes but they need people that will really look after them.

Enjoy yourself, and thanks. Being the older brother and caregiver of my autistic brother, i've come to respect those who take on the challenges because they want to, and not because it was handed to them. It's right up there with military service..

Deezil what a nice thing to say. I know Dan takes his job very seriously and is very passionate with those he cares for and I know he is not getting a compliments other than from Kat and I think he does a great job.

Dan way to go! I also applaud you and all of the health care workers. That is not something I could do myself. On the other hand, Cadavers I have no problem with. I worked at a medical school for five years and use to watch the student's dissect.

Congrats Dan. Tomorrow Ill be tackling our water filter and that thing is just a PITA. Its always very hard to grt off and usually have to use a strap wrench on the water housing and the wrench on the housing also. I also always have to use keg lube on the rubber O ring or it leaks like crazy. Im not looking forward to this. Last time I got mad and whipped the strap wrench through the luan core door! :)

Congrats Dan. Tomorrow Ill be tackling our water filter and that thing is just a PITA. Its always very hard to grt off and usually have to use a strap wrench on the water housing and the wrench on the housing also. I also always have to use keg lube on the rubber O ring or it leaks like crazy. Im not looking forward to this. Last time I got mad and whipped the strap wrench through the luan core door! :)

Wade I just did this a bit ago myself and I also use a food grade lube on the gasket. I finally ordered a few extra o-rings and they aren't cheap either. I had to mail order them. I found my issue was I was putting it back on too tight and stretching the o-ring. Ever since I got the new ones, I lube them and put em on just a bit more then hand tight and now they come off easier.

I never had to do this but could you use plumbers tape on the threads. Most think it's to keep a tight seal when actually it's main purpose is so that you can remove the 2 pieces off of their threads.

Just trying to help. I hate anything that doesn't go easy as it should be. My wife always says "You won't be right back" "It will take longer than 2 minutes" etc etc

Steve, it's not the threads that leak but a gasket that sits on top and is a bear to keep in place as you tightened it down. Its about 1/8-1/4 in diameter and should fit nicely in a groove. it does until it gets stretched out. The gasket fits around the entire top which is about 5-6" in diameter.

Had to go to my kid's school, then went to my bank and then returned back and hurriedly finished my remaining work. quite tired but happy, no pending work remaining.

Went to the Beach Boys concert last night. They were pretty good.

Dude! You are making me feel old! I saw them back when they were the original group. When Dennis Wilson was hanging out with Chuck Manson. Now I am going to have to dig out some old vinyl records (what we had before CD's) and put on the headphones. Good Vibrations baby!!!

I miss the old records I had a long time ago. Sure do wish I could find replacements for some I lost and will probably never find again.

care to share your recipe?

Here is the recipe I use:

It started as a 1 gallon recipe, I have increased it somewhat ending up with a full gallon and a full magnum. (hey-the little bucket holds it).

6 lbs frozen red raspberries (the recipe originally called for 3 lbs but more raspberries give it much better color and taste) bagged the defrosted berries for fermenting then mushed them in the bucket.
9 pints water (original recipe called for 7 pints) (I've started to just fill the bucket to the level where it all just fits)
2 1/4 pounds sugar (I cut the sugar back a little to decrease the alcohol for my wife to perhaps enjoy more) ((if she does not like this the sugar gets increased back to 2 1/2 lbs on the next batch)
1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectin enzyme
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1 tsp nutrient
1/4 tsp grape tannin (this is the first time I have added tannin-I'll see what it does and go from there on my future batches)
1 crushed campden tablet

I warmed the water, dissolved the sugar, mixed everything in the bucket. Let it sit 24hrs then added EC1118 yeast that I had pre-started. Stir the bucket once a day. I remove the bag of what is pretty much just seeds at the 4 or 5 day point. Ferment dry, then back sweeten.

So far today I have taken my oldest daughter to the airport so she can visit grandparents in Fl. Went and had an MRI done, boy is that a whole different experience. Came home, got the bike. Went and had lunch with my wife. On the way home I stopped at one of the elderberry bushes local to me and scored on another 3 lbs 9 oz of ripe elderberries using the float method. Those that floated totaled 5.2 oz. Tossed them behind the garage, maybe they will grow.

That brings my total elderberry harvest to just under 16 lbs so far. I'll probably get another 6-8 lbs off this particular bush. Will check again on either Thursday afternoon or Saturday morning. Probably Saturday.

On the way home I stopped at one of the elderberry bushes local to me and scored on another 3 lbs 9 oz of ripe elderberries using the float method. Those that floated totaled 5.2 oz. Tossed them behind the garage, maybe they will grow.

That brings my total elderberry harvest to just under 16 lbs so far. I'll probably get another 6-8 lbs off this particular bush. Will check again on either Thursday afternoon or Saturday morning. Probably Saturday.

Can ya elaborate on the float method? I'm assuming you use water, and some floats and some doesnt... But, i'm no genius :d

Wne to Ravens training camp with my day program clients.
Then mixed up the CC Winery Edition Meritage. About to pitch the yeast.

Can ya elaborate on the float method? I'm assuming you use water, and some floats and some doesnt... But, i'm no genius :d

Correct, it is said that if you put the Elderberries in water, the ripe ones will sink to the bottom of the bucket and the not so ripe ones and green ones will float. I cleaned them off in a bucket of water then used a collander to scoop out the non-ripe ones as I was going. It worked quite well if I do say so myself.

Back