What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it was nice to draw a few beers from the keg, but it wasn't as special as I imagined it would be. It always seems more special when you aren't allowed to do something, then when you do it's "why was I thinking this would be better than it actually is"? I think I'll have no trouble keeping out of the beer or wine this week as I institute my no school nights drinking policy. I'll have to watch this weekend as I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up with the rate my two brothers drink, which is fine. I'll be the first to go to bed and the first one up sans a hangover, which will be good.

Craig, you may be interested in this longish article from the New York Times Magazine. It is largely about how companies find out all kinds of things about you without your knowledge. (The attention-grabbing one is that Target knows whether or not its shoppers are pregnant!) However, the article has a lot of good stuff in it about formation of habits, and how you can control or alter habits. I'd say that you have successfully altered your drinking habit, and now you can decide whether to go back to your old habits or not. Take a read:

https://nyti.ms/AyNgCY

It is a lot more interesting than this snippet, but I quote it here to give you a flavor.

The process within our brains that creates habits is a three-step loop. First, there is a cue, a trigger that tells your brain to go into automatic mode and which habit to use. Then there is the routine, which can be physical or mental or emotional. Finally, there is a reward, which helps your brain figure out if this particular loop is worth remembering for the future. Over time, this loop — cue, routine, reward; cue, routine, reward — becomes more and more automatic. The cue and reward become neurologically intertwined until a sense of craving emerges. What’s unique about cues and rewards, however, is how subtle they can be.

I'd say that you have successfully altered your drinking habit, and now you can decide whether to go back to your old habits or not.

Amazing what they know and how they know it. I should have continued with my Mathematics studies...

As far as my behavior, for now I'm using decaf tea during the week. I actually craved it with my spaghetti dinner tonight. As far as piggy backing the new habit, I used to drink my beer out of a red plastic solo cup and that is what I'm using for my tea. We'll see if it can last, I know I have the cue down pat, I leave work, I want ______. I can either fill in the blank with alcohol or something else. If I'm successful with filling in the blank with a low calorie non-alcoholic beverage, I should continue to lose weight.

It's amazing what a fine line there seems to be between habit and addiction. I quit smoking over ten years ago, after smoking for nearly 18 years. I'd quit before, and never really had a difficult time not smoking, but there were clear 'triggers' - that first drink, etc. It was to a point that I simply had a smoke at specific times without even thinking whether or not I wanted a cigarette. There were specific points on my commute, for example, where I just automatically lit up. Once you identify those triggers and decide to ignore them, it gets easy. Let it go further than that and I'm sure it is an entirely different ball game though.

For triggers, I know that I have come to deeply associate cooking with having a glass of wine. I start cooking, I am enjoying myself, and I suddenly crave a glass of wine. On another day, in a different situation, whatever, I don't crave the glass. I can go days without needing wine if I am outside these triggers.

For triggers, I know that I have come to deeply associate cooking with having a glass of wine. I start cooking, I am enjoying myself, and I suddenly crave a glass of wine. On another day, in a different situation, whatever, I don't crave the glass. I can go days without needing wine if I am outside these triggers.

As the joke goes: I always cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food. ;)

I used to go for a beer when cooking, which now that I'm done with my 40 days I can do, because I rarely cook on a school night, I prepare it the morning before and dump it in the crock pot! Weekends is when I cook the most and it will be "legal" to pour a beer then. We'll have to see what happens this Summer when I'm cooking during the week, might be tough if I'm grilling on a beautiful Summers' evening...

Different worlds obviously! LOL

GC = Gas Chromatograph

gas-chromatograph1413220563.jpg

Writing my list and checking it twice. Collecting things I need (fishing gear, alcohol, keys, maybe some clothes) to go open our cabin up in @bkisel 's neck of the woods. My youngest brother should be up there by now, I'm leaving before dawn tomorrow morning (have to pick the kids up from track and wifey has class tonight or I'd go tonight). Hopefully my oldest brother gets up there sometime tomorrow or Saturday. We met up last year and decided it should become a yearly event since we are all in our 50's and not getting younger anytime soon. Hopefully some pictures next week, especially if we find some sort of unique varmit has taking residence near vicinity of the place. Weather looking okay (at least it isn't supposed to snow).

Currently: Procrastinating at work and daydreaming about wines.

At home I have my very first batch of dragon's blood on day #2 after pitching the yeast. Is it bad that generally I am not a morning person, and it takes a lot to get out of bed on time... but when I have a new batch going, I literally get up 15 minutes early to go coddle it? Is that okay? I don't have kids, just a couple thousand yeast babies.

Work, work, church and stations of the cross. Now a nice Spanish wine of a grape I've never heard of and a Lethal Weapon marathon. Hmmmm maybe we need a life? Naw, we got each other:sh

Back