What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resting after the Luke Bryan show last night. I'm not a country music fan, but had a blast with my old high school buds and our wives. Bottling the Sauvignon Blanc Rose as well as the Cucumber Melon Sauv Blanc, and cooking some ribs

Post a few pics of the SBR after you get it bottled. Mine is looking awesome in the carboy after topping up with some of the 2015 Charles & Charles Rose'.

Bottling the Sauvignon Blanc Rose as well as the Cucumber Melon Sauv Blanc, and cooking some ribs

My wife just shared a story with me. For my now 9 year old daughters party, I moved any red wines I had aging (one going through MLF) to the basement from the kitchen. My daughter commented to my wife that I wouldn't have to move those if I didn't want to. Here a neighbor friend of hers (during the week when I'm at work) set up a lemonade stand. She said that she could just set up a wine stand and sell my wine for 50 cents a glass. My wife obviously forbid her to do that, and said if she wanted to see her Dad in prison that would probably be the quickest way to do it.

Now I'm waiting to see if she sets up the stand...

Dosed my GSM and Sauvignon Blanc with kmeta to get them ready for aging months 4-6, alongside the Trinity.

Had two early glasses of my 2015 fall harvest Zinfandel from Harford Vineyard grapes and juice. Progressing nicely!

Replaced some inner tubes to tires on my 22 year old tractor, and noticed that one of the supports on the deck (the thingy that has the blades etc) has come loose. I remember the place I get parts from letting me know 5 years ago that I couldn't order a new one, so I've got to consider buying a new one (tractor). Hopefully the current one will last till the fall and I can pick a new one up on the cheap when the new years models come in.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know most of them won't hold up for 20+ years, but what is my best bet? I currently have a Craftsman 42" garden tractor with a 15.5 hp Kohler engine. I only change the oil every other year since when I do the old oil is as clear as the new oil, just a little "browner". Wish I could plop the old engine in a new frame.

I have about 7/10 of an acre, so not a really large area to do (just don't want to push it, might actually get into better shape). Looking for a long lasting piece of equipment, willing to pay more for better quality. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, and any model with a cup holder on pistons gets my vote.

Last edited:
If i recall, MTD makes most to the tractors you'll find - craftsman, Troy-built, Cub Cadet and Yard Machines. They also make the entry level John Deer, I think. JD still makes the higher end models. Husqvarna makes their own.

If you're talking sub $1,000, chances are pretty good every thing you're looking at came out of the same factory. The one thing that will make them all last 20 years is regular maintenance. Rather than what brand, here are some things (besides a cup holder) I might look for:

1. Greater than 17 hp. Preferably >20 hp. Kohler and Briggs&Stratton I/C are solid engines and will last forever when properly cared for. A V-twin engine is awesome.

2. Whichever you buy, make sure it has an oil filter. Your oil and your engine will last longer.

3. At least a 42" deck. Anything smaller and you might as well push mow.

If I could get anything, it would probably be a John Deere or Husqvarna zero turn, 25+hp, 54" deck.

Oh, one more thing - there's a lawn mower guy on Rt 114 in Lewisberry (Space Highway). He may have what you need to keep your mower going another 5-10 years. You can't miss the place - front yard is littered with tractors.

Last edited:
If you're talking sub $1,000, chances are pretty good every thing you're looking at came out of the same factory.
Expecting to drop at least $2000.

Oh, one more thing - there's a lawn mower guy on Rt 114 in Lewisberry (Space Highway). He may have what you need to keep your mower going another 5-10 years. You can't miss the place - front yard is littered with tractors.

Might have to take the "long" way home and see if I can get a used deck from him. Mine is still holding together, but it's just a matter of time until it totally detaches. Duct tape will only hold so long...

Finally got around to racking my Dornfelder from last fall (about a month late). All seemed well, added 1 oz Hungarian M+ cubes since the oak just isn't quite there yet.

After cleaning up the carboys took a walk around the carboy farm, didn't like what I saw in my 3L "extra" jug of Pinot Noir. Had added MLB exactly a month ago, the main 23L carboy looked fine, but the smaller one had a white film at the top. Haven't run a test to see if it has finished MLF, but added some Kmeta and the problem soon disappeared. Tasted and it seemed to taste about the same as the larger carboy, still acidic because of the CO2 in solution, plus it isn't very old at this point, but I didn't gag so will leave as is but make sure I don't mix the two until I'm sure no hanky panky is happening in the 3L jug.

Going to the first round of the Quicken Loans National tomorrow. We're supposed to have nasty weather in the morning, a break mid-day, then nasty weather in the afternoon. I may not see much golf, but at least I'll be in a VIP tent with a Grey Goose themed bar. :dg

Any of the choices sound better than my dat tomorrow: meeting followed by a meeting, a conference call, another meeting. The high point is I get to go to Lowes with my wife!

6 to go. This is my 2nd round, last years chemo :rdo did not work. This is a different chemo :rdo and much easier on my body

I wish you the best in every way. I am going to start a Fon. Pinot Noir.
Do you have any suggestions to dial in a super drinker?

Have a Pinot Noir going. Just added Blueberry F-PAC in secondary

Working right now.

I opened a Chenin Blanc last night and poured a glass. I was so tired I took about two sips out of it and fell asleep in my recliner never finishing that glass and had to pour it out this morning.

Because of that, I got quite a bit of rest last night and feeling much better today. So tonight I intend to finish the rest of that Chenin Blanc bottle. :h

Have a Pinot Noir going. Just added Blueberry F-PAC in secondary

Wondering how a little blackberry in primary, then a little blueberry in secondary would taste in a Pinot Noir kit?

Latest posts

Back