What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came in from outside about an hour ago never did get the cedar trees trimmed the other day.. well 1/2 of one I did till mamma robin was squawking at me. She had 2 beautiful eggs in a nest built deep into the tree so I thought it could wait.. picked up a few of the branches off the ground and left her tend to her eggs. I just hope the neighbor understands.. I left most of the branches lay on the ground with a lop sided tree lmao:)

How comfortable are you with your headspace? I have about the same and I'm nervous.

I guess it depends on which yeast you are using. I used Premier Cuvee which is supossedly low foaming so I think I'm ok.

Red Star Premier Cuvée (Davis 796), a strain of Saccharomyces bayanus from a French wine yeast, is a special isolate of Red Star Yeast & Products. This yeast has good tolerance to ethanol and free sulfur dioxide, and ferments to dryness. Premier Cuvée is noted as a very low producer of foam, urea, and fusel oils. It is recommended for reds, whites and especially champagne. This yeast is reported to perform well restarting stuck fermentations. Winemakers have remarked that Premier Cuvée is the fastest, cleanest, and most neutral fermenter offered by Red Star®. Ferments best between 7°-35°C (45°-95°F). Certified kosher.

I punched down the cap last night, a first for me and the yeasties were well on thier way. :i

May see about bottling the Black Berry wine this evening. Still a little high in alcohol but it's acceptable. May rack the skeeter pee and back sweeten that as well. It's getting to be Pool Season and we need beverages...

Got the yeast pitched on the Viognier early this morning. There was a little CO2 in it, hopefully I put a stop to whatever wild fermentation appeared to be going on. I also added some Lallezyme EX to the Cab/Merlot. Tonight, I'll add Opti-Red and will pitch the yeast.

Had a great time at "Mom's.
BUT
on the way home....Well the pic will say it all.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_4166.jpg

Doing a major reno on the house that didn't get finished in time so now I am working in the yard. Glad to have nice weather to get me out of the house!
Bottled some green apple today. Better than expected.

Went to the grocery store and couponned by booty off, spent $128, saved $92. Trying to store all the freezer items was a mega game of Tetris.

I have got to get some primaries going. I have like 45 sleeves of frozen concentrate that needs to be release from my freezer and a LOAD of candy that I picked up cheap after Easter that's just taking up space.

Other than that, I'm pitching yeast on my 15 gallon pineapple and tropical fruit wine tonight. The must smells amazeballs! My whole house smells like a tropical paradise, I imagine it's gonna be a pretty rank smelling fermentation. Perhaps I should fill my Glade room sprays with tropical this week so it's not so stanky.

Went to the grocery store and couponned by booty off, spent $128, saved $92. Trying to store all the freezer items was a mega game of Tetris.

I have got to get some primaries going. I have like 45 sleeves of frozen concentrate that needs to be release from my freezer and a LOAD of candy that I picked up cheap after Easter that's just taking up space.

Other than that, I'm pitching yeast on my 15 gallon pineapple and tropical fruit wine tonight. The must smells amazeballs! My whole house smells like a tropical paradise, I imagine it's gonna be a pretty rank smelling fermentation. Perhaps I should fill my Glade room sprays with tropical this week so it's not so stanky.

If you ever find online coupons for frozen concentrate or Berries would mine sharing them with other forum members? Before I started my Welch's I searched everywhere for coupons and couldn't find any. My wife did find a target coupon for there triple berry blend. Brought it down to Walmart price :-(

Edit: shortly after I posted I found these old orchard coupons. http://oldorchard.com/promotions/juice-coupons

Last edited:
If you ever find online coupons for frozen concentrate or Berries would mine sharing them with other forum members? Before I started my Welch's I searched everywhere for coupons and couldn't find any. My wife did find a target coupon for there triple berry blend. Brought it down to Walmart price :-(

Edit: shortly after I posted I found these old orchard coupons. http://oldorchard.com/promotions/juice-coupons

I use a lot of the Old Orchard Coupons. I think it resets monthly, but you can get 2 per reset (again, I think month) that are $1 off 4 (btw, 4 is the recommended cans per gallon). I use my account on my computer to get my 2 on my printer, then my husbands on his laptop with our network printer to get his 2, then I have two other dummy accounts that I print off at the library. For a total of 8 coupons (32 sleeves= perfect amount for 1-5 gal + 1-3gal)

Also, I dunno if you have a Meijer store nearby but, they often run a 10 for $10 sale with a free 11th item. I've also figured out the way they give their free item too. Apparently, whatever the 11th deal item you scan is the free one, so I scan 10 of the 10/$10+11th free items that I have coupons for, then another 10/$10 +11th free item that I don't have a coupon for, since you can't use a coupon on a free item.

I LOVE being a coupon queen! Will be happy to share deals when/where I find them.

Last edited:
Thank you. My wife started couponing a bit and she has been saving lots of money. It's a great way to stretch our budget

Hey Calvin and everyone else.. because who among us couldn't use cheap sugar, it's kind of a staple, I was browsing my sneak-peek sales for the upcoming week when I came across this lil gem on Sugar.

Next week (sale runs 5/18-5/24) Walgreen's is having their 4lb Domino White sugar for $1.89 w/ their in-ad coupon. Limit 2. This also stacks with other coupons. Here are a few printables for .75 off or 2.

http://www.southernsavers.com/about/smart-source-coupons/ Zip Code 60540 ( I have to use internet explorer for Smart Source coupons, IDK why.)

http://www.southernsavers.com/redplum Zip Code 30003

You can print each coupon 2 times. Although you can use another printer and computer to print more sets of 2.

Since there is a limit of 2, I'm going to have my hubby pick up 2 bags, and my mom, and my sister... ya know get stocked up while the getting is good. $3.03 for 8lbs of sugar is a STEAL!!!! That's like 38 cents per pound! I usually pay 49 cents per pound at GFS, (which is kinda far away, so I only go when I have to go to the LHBS, which is next door)

Hey Calvin and everyone else.. because who among us couldn't use cheap sugar, it's kind of a staple, I was browsing my sneak-peek sales for the upcoming week when I came across this lil gem on Sugar.

Next week (sale runs 5/18-5/24) Walgreen's is having their 4lb Domino White sugar for $1.89 w/ their in-ad coupon. Limit 2. This also stacks with other coupons. Here are a few printables for .75 off or 2.

http://www.southernsavers.com/about/smart-source-coupons/ Zip Code 60540 ( I have to use internet explorer for Smart Source coupons, IDK why.)

http://www.southernsavers.com/redplum Zip Code 30003

You can print each coupon 2 times. Although you can use another printer and computer to print more sets of 2.

Since there is a limit of 2, I'm going to have my hubby pick up 2 bags, and my mom, and my sister... ya know get stocked up while the getting is good. $3.03 for 8lbs of sugar is a STEAL!!!! That's like 38 cents per pound! I usually pay 49 cents per pound at GFS, (which is kinda far away, so I only go when I have to go to the LHBS, which is next door)

Thanks for the heads up! I appreciate it. I sent wade a pm today asking him to start a new section on special deals and coupons for us winemakers. I think it would be great if we could share info on that. Wether it's a good kit that goes up for sale, sugar, frozen concentrate or a special on carboys. It has the potential to save us all a bunch if $$$

just ordered 2 mammoth red raspberry so I'll have all the fruit needed to make DB in the future. Took a walk today... and I not only have bud break but I have lil grapes on my table grape vines! The trellis needs replaced on the table grapes its so old! Was going to do that this year and remove some of the old grape vines to but they are doing so good!

Bottling Yakima Syrah. Buying and assembling exercise bike. Smoking beef ribs. Going to a crayfish boil. I'm tired just thinking about it all.

Back