What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yesterday I accomplished everything I wanted to. All the wine is out of the kitchen with the exception of the bottled Chianti, its on the counter near the coffee pot.

Went to pick up our pantry cabinet last evening after dinner with hopes of getting it installed this weekend. While the employee from Home Depot was bringing it out, he hit the door frame and the cabinets fell off the cart. It was a good thing my wife and daughter were not 3 feet closer because they woul dhave landed on them and there would have been nothing my wife could have done to stop it. We loaded it truck as there was no apparent damage to the boxes and proceeded for home. Upon arriving at home, opened boxes, pantry cabinet face frame is crached from impact and separating from sides. Back to home depot now I have to wait another 3 weeks to work on my kitchen.

Man was I ticked off.

Doug doesn't something like that tick you off when you have things planned out . I would go back to the manager and ask for them to get it delivered faster since it was thier fault not yours . No harm in trying .

After 4 night of not sleeping well I just enjoyed 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Now on to enjoy the ENTIRE WEEKEND with no work. I don't get those often.
:fsh

Doug doesn't something like that tick you off when you have things planned out . I would go back to the manager and ask for them to get it delivered faster since it was thier fault not yours . No harm in trying .

Doug..forget getting it quicker. You can only get a special orde as fast as the store does to get it in. BUT, you can ask for a discount for your troubles or free delivery.

After 4 night of not sleeping well I just enjoyed 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Now on to enjoy the ENTIRE WEEKEND with no work. I don't get those often.
:fsh

Well, that just went to HeII. My night person called out sick...Anybody that can possibly do it has already put in 8 or more hours........so it falls to me, the boss to get it done.

Ah well, it was a half day off anyway.

I was in the middle of starting the California Red so I had to get that done and rack our WE Sangiovese to secondary and then clean all the buckets and equipment before hopping in the shower to get ME clean.

Ah well.:slp

I hear you Doug, that kinda sheet gets me going good!! Maybe I have read to much Dale Carnegie, but I am a phone caller. I wish i was there to help you because I would guarantee you would have a new set of cabinets by now, and a good chance you would get something additional for your troubles.

The local Home Depot helped me out good a few months ago. I learned of a disabled veteran while attending a veterans support group my buddy runs. Anyway, this old timer couldn't get the VA to pay for a handicap ramp at his home, even though he is a disabled vet, confined to a wheel chair, is like 70 years old and served his country since he was a teenager. I made a couple calls and the Mgr at the HD was able to help us with the materials to build a nice ramp(in accordance and guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act.) Real nice ramp, I am proud to have been a part of getting it built for him.

Poor customer service sucks and makes all of us feel like we are being used. Please don't be so fast to yell at Home depot. It's there management team that is bad there. I have already told you these guys here actually appreciate our business, look what they did to help us on the ramp. Quite a bit of money in materials, like over $1000, all pressure treated wood etc.

Still sucks, they owe you something, I hope they make it right.

Last edited:
Well yesterday I accomplished everything I wanted to. All the wine is out of the kitchen with the exception of the bottled Chianti, its on the counter near the coffee pot.

Went to pick up our pantry cabinet last evening after dinner with hopes of getting it installed this weekend. While the employee from Home Depot was bringing it out, he hit the door frame and the cabinets fell off the cart. It was a good thing my wife and daughter were not 3 feet closer because they woul dhave landed on them and there would have been nothing my wife could have done to stop it. We loaded it truck as there was no apparent damage to the boxes and proceeded for home. Upon arriving at home, opened boxes, pantry cabinet face frame is crached from impact and separating from sides. Back to home depot now I have to wait another 3 weeks to work on my kitchen.

Man was I ticked off.

Hi Doug,

How bad was this damaged? Would you be able to get it fixed? My thought is maybe you can negotiate a very cheap price for the damaged cabinet and if it is fixable you are getting a better deal.

Wade were are you, we need a wood expert, isn't that you?

The way they are designed they are very hard to fix. I used to build very high end cabinets for many years and these cabinets sold at Home Depot are not quite built the same way if you know what I mean. They are typically just rabbited and hot glued together with a glue block in some corners. I would be telling the people at Home Depot to give me a break on price due to the inconvenience of this!!

I did a side job today which has taken its toll on me but the money was good. I installed another floating floor and have another 1 to do in about 1 month. $300 for 6 hours work, not to shabby. Come home only to find out that my upstairs bathroom faucet needs to be replaced as its leaking all around the seals and the handle doesnt come off on this model. Oh well, back to work tomorrow!

I hear you Doug, that kinda sheet gets me going good!! Maybe I have read to much Dale Carnegie,

Poor customer service sucks and makes all of us feel like we are being used. Please don't be so fast to yell at Home depot. It's there management team that is bad there. I have already told you these guys here actually appreciate our business, look what they did to help us on the ramp. Quite a bit of money in materials, like over $1000, all pressure treated wood etc.

Still sucks, they owe you something, I hope they make it right.

Troy, I think you need to read some more books. Doug did not mention anything about management in his post. He said the associates damaged the cabinet and it was not visible until he got home. Now with that said I also would be upset with the fact I was ready to install it this weekend. Yes, I would return it and ask them what they could do for me for all of the troubles I experienced and the delay in getting my kitchen completed. Can they get another one transfered in or was it a special order?

It was a partial special order, one of the 2 cabinets were special ordered. I intend on speaking to the manager when we pick it up. When I tool it back the person at the customer service desk was nothing but apologetic. It was an accident that could have been prevented if the person assisting would have been paying a little more attention.

I know the HD here has always been accomodating if there was an issue. A couple years ago, a friend of mine ordered a door, it came in hinged the wrong way, they re-ordered and gave him $300 off the cost of the door for his inconvieninece.

Hoping my very first attempt at making wine is not a desaster and wishing I still had enough ice to go ice fishing.

I got to see MY DECK FOR THE FIRST TIME IN WEEKS!!!!! and I enjoyed drinking a glass of Cherry wine while Mike grilled some country ribs. :try

Nice Day.

I spent 2.5 hours blowing out my driveway this morining. It usually takes about 30-45 minutes. We had at least 12" of snow and with the wind and drifts some places were over 3 feet high. AGGG, I've had enough for the season. Lots more snow and heavy winds for at least another 24 hours.

Wondering why ME days go faster then work and housework days ????? Soon time get youngest son from school . Oh just to let yuo know oldest son is doing better and if things go as planned he should be out of the hospital on Tues or Wed next week :h

Last edited:
I think you stole Michigan's snow, we've had much less than average around here. Some of the guys who plow driveways in the winter here are hurting for business.

I spent 2.5 hours blowing out my driveway this morining. It usually takes about 30-45 minutes. We had at least 12" of snow and with the wind and drifts some places were over 3 feet high. AGGG, I've had enough for the season. Lots more snow and heavy winds for at least another 24 hours.

It's been raining here all day so I've cleaned up my wine making room and got some passion fruit and orange going, along with some apple and elderflower.

We have been extremely lucky here as we just keep getting rain here or snow that melts as soon as it hits the ground. Ive only had to use my snow blower once this year. I spent 4 hours today grinding and polishing the keg today as it was a mess when I got it as it was a display model and actually had so e spray paint on it. I have to do some hand polishig next and then its all done. ill post pics of it when its finished.

Well racked a few carboys (and BEER) and used my snow blower to get rid of 6+" of that white stuff. I have not seen the grass since before Christmas.

Am sorting out the library and getting rid of books we don't need.

Allie

Back