What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting here with a nice cup of coffee watching the sun come up, thinking about the pear wine and blueberry/ banana wine I am going to start in a couple of days.

Sitting here with a nice cup of coffee watching the sun come up, thinking about the pear wine and blueberry/ banana wine I am going to start in a couple of days.

Same except contemplating the peach wine i want to start next week and the amber ale grains i purchased at southern brewers this past friday.

Going to bottle some pumpkin spiced porter later today. Thinking about going out to purchase some stuff for some wine as well.

Started gutting my kitchen, the work has begun. Going to take a break later to bottle some Sauvignon Blanc.

Bottled the Sauvignon Blanc and Skeeter Pee to free up carboys. Need to check on the Gewurtraminer and determine what it needs. I'm thinking a tad more acid and a little sweetening.

Tasted the Chambourcin Juice last night. Wow would that make an excellent Semi-dry to Semi-Sweet wine. May not finish all of that dry. Getting ready to pitch the yeast on the Chanbourcin and Catawba now. May hit Trax Farms later this afternoon for the pumpkin patch or maybe Riley's

Straining the solids outta the blackberry behemoth today, then adding more sugar to push it to 15% ABV :db

Getting ready to eat some homemade pizzas and drink some Zinfindal, :db

I read the entire thread on Jalapeno wine and while I have made a couple batches before I never intended on drinking it. I just intended on cooking with it. Reading the thread inspired me to try another batch using apple juice and 8 peppers per gallon. Hoping for a hot sipper! Also started a batch of Garlic wine, this one for cooking only! Garlic, Jalapeno and Vadalia onion wines are a staple for cooking in this household!

Phil, get ready for a vigorous fermentation. It blew the air lock right off my fermentation pail (way too cool). This still is awesome in chili and marinating chicken with. If you have a head cold, it's an excellent remedy. I think 8 peppers per gallon makes a nice wine.

Garlic? No way. I tried one at a wine competition, and couldn't even get past the smell. Probably would be great for cooking though.

Steve brought me bottle of the Jalapeño wine he picked up at the Grape and Grainery on his way up and it was really good. It was very smooth and drinkable. After that a few of us were hooked.

Duster said:
at it again this weekend.
40 lbs of peaches, 15 lbs of Catawba and 2 lbs bananas all into the 10 gallon fermentor for some Catawba Peach wine.
next was 5 gallon fresh cider went into the fermentor with 3 pounds dry malt extract and some Safbrew for some hard cider.

Oh! That all sounds so gooood!!!!

pjd said:
I read the entire thread on Jalapeno wine and while I have made a couple batches before I never intended on drinking it. I just intended on cooking with it. Reading the thread inspired me to try another batch using apple juice and 8 peppers per gallon. Hoping for a hot sipper! Also started a batch of Garlic wine, this one for cooking only! Garlic, Jalapeno and Vadalia onion wines are a staple for cooking in this household!

I don't know HOW I could make good Margaritas on the rocks without my spicy jalapeno wine to add a kick!

Doug, bring your Muscadine down here and bring a trunk. You're gonna take home a boatload of medals....

The tour guide didn't even know that what type of Muscadines they were using for thier wine. So much for being informed....

That's awesome!!! Got to love it when someone acts like they know what they are talking about and then get busted when they are asked a question. Lol. I will be using the Carlos variety for my first attempt.

That's awesome!!! Got to love it when someone acts like they know what they are talking about and then get busted when they are asked a question. Lol. I will be using the Carlos variety for my first attempt.

While winery and vineyard owners try to employ well informed guides, it isn't always possible for the part time guides to know all the facts the winery manager or vineyard owner would know. We all try to educate our employees, but can't anticipate all the possible questions that could be asked.

It is also possible that the resident winemaker does not want to divulge all their trade secrets. Would you expect to take a tour of Kentucky Fried Chicken and get the recipe to their seasoning blends? I speak generalities to most guests and that is usually enough for them. I do however cooperate with other wineries and we share information that is not exact specifics. The casual guest does not need to know the exact variety of grape, yeast, fermentation temperature, malolactic bacteria strain and so on. It is enough to tell them that a Muscadine is a Muscadine.

grapeman said:
While winery and vineyard owners try to employ well informed guides, it isn't always possible for the part time guides to know all the facts the winery manager or vineyard owner would know. We all try to educate our employees, but can't anticipate all the possible questions that could be asked.

It is also possible that the resident winemaker does not want to divulge all their trade secrets. Would you expect to take a tour of Kentucky Fried Chicken and get the recipe to their seasoning blends? I speak generalities to most guests and that is usually enough for them. I do however cooperate with other wineries and we share information that is not exact specifics. The casual guest does not need to know the exact variety of grape, yeast, fermentation temperature, malolactic bacteria strain and so on. It is enough to tell them that a Muscadine is a Muscadine.

You're right. I apologize. I wasn't trying to criticize the winery. I was just in a mood that day. It happens when you work around a bunch of know it alls. Lol. But yes. KFC should tell me their ingredients. How else will I copycat them?!?! Lol. I understand trade secrets. Like how I won't tell anyone the ingredients to my BBQ rub and sauce. The only other one that knows is my wife and she knows the penalty for telling anyone. ;)

Tonight my sweetie suprised me by making a great garlic pizza. Fresh tomato, Basil, Jalapenos, ripe olives, mozzarello and ricotta cheese, fresh garlic, washed down with a wonderful California Zinfandel and now a wonderful California Shiraz. Unbelievable Pizza and incredible wine, It does not get much better than this!

I tried some McManis Family Vineyards Merlot today. I bought it to top up my Stags leap merlot. It was very GOOD!! Has anyone else ever tried this wine?

Doug's muscadine still has a lot different taste to it than mine. I think it has alot to do with the additives as mine does have any including added yeast

Latest posts

Back