What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the yeast pitched on all the juice we picked up yesterday. Decided to dedicate the day to the cellar since it's raining. I can say that the garbage men will not be happy with the recycle bins on Tuesday. I probably tossed 150 mis-matched bottles, some had labels, most did not. Mostly all green Burgundy style bottles. I'm trying to get to a standard bottle. The clear burgundy I kept since that's what I can purchase new.

Went to Walkers and picked up 6 gallons of Catawba, 6 gallons of Isabella-Blackberry, 6 Gallons of Lambrusca Blend and 6 Gallons of Cherry. Does anyone have advice on the cherry? I have never made it. I wll ferment it dry then sweeten part of it. I may infuse part of it with chocolate
The cherry is officially my 100th batch in this obsession called wine making!

Usually cherry is taken on the....oh never mind. Congratulations on the 100th batch. I would ferment it out to dry and then sweeten to your taste which I know is dry but I think cherry is best with some sugar.

Hey Phil you might even want to try some bench trails and try blending it with some of your other wines once they are all finished. I have some port finishing up right now that I'm going to add some of my bottled cherry with.

Due to the fog last night, I didn't get home from DC until 130am and had to get up to go to work at 630am. Found out that McGinnis Sisters in Monroeville has wine juice for sale in 6 gallon containers. A little more pricey than LuvaBella, but it can save me the drive. I'm still partial to LuvaBella for thier customer service....

Also studying for my Wine Chemistry mid term and wine camp which is on Saturday in Harrisburg.

This morning I transferred 1 of my Chardonnays to the secondary and started a White Zinfandel. Tonight I will transfer the Gewurztraminer and the second pail of Chardonnay to secondary as well. I'm still hunting the local ads for more carboys. I may have to buy some new ones when I pick up my next load of grape juice this Saturday

Picked a few more grapes today. There are more grapes that are sprouting out. I'm thinking that I should go ahead and pick them because I know that they will get ripe in time. The only thing is that we are supposed to have our first frost on Monday and I don't want to have open wounds on my vines during the frost.

Got a tour of my local vineyard today. They have harvested most of their grapes but still have some grapes on the vines. I got to taste a few varieties of grapes right off the vines and they were delicious. I checked out the giant bladder press, crusher destemmer, bottling setup, labeling, etc...It was great to see and I'm planning to stop by every so often to help out and hopefully do some more learning.

Derek-

Which one? Would you recommend them as I was hoping to visit a few local wineries as well.

thanks
Chad

Was at Magic Hat Brewery in VT

Dan whats the addy for Walkers?

Well I pressed 2 lugs of Cab Franc by hand, think I will buy a press for next year.

another day of work.....think it's time to take air conditioners out of thw windows afterwards....then it's time to settle down and watch game 1 of the tigers series with the a's.....might even stop off on the way home and pick up a small bundle of firewood and start up the ol' fireplace tonight since it'll just be me and the little lady home until later in the evening, with the little ones with their friend and his family....hmmm...good night to crack open a bottle of wine maybe as well???....lol...

g8keeper said:
another day of work.....think it's time to take air conditioners out of thw windows afterwards....then it's time to settle down and watch game 1 of the tigers series with the a's.....might even stop off on the way home and pick up a small bundle of firewood and start up the ol' fireplace tonight since it'll just be me and the little lady home until later in the evening, with the little ones with their friend and his family....hmmm...good night to crack open a bottle of wine maybe as well???....lol...

Fireplace..put up the a/c? I'm looking forward to sunning in my pool today. Love living in FL. Need some r&r as my Miller Cellars winemaking classes and winemaking club and radio ads start next week. So excited!!!

Fireplace..put up the a/c? I'm looking forward to sunning in my pool today. Love living in FL. Need some r&r as my Miller Cellars winemaking classes and winemaking club and radio ads start next week. So excited!!!

lol...well, here in michigan, the weather, she is a-changin'....lol...old man winter is coming around the corner....this is actually my favorite time of the year when it comes to wine making....normally when i head up to traverse city and visit all the wineries....fall in the air....cool breeze....trees changing color.....ahhhh....peace at least....but unfortunately the trip "up north" just isn't in the budget this year....hopefully 2013 will be better....

It's been a BUSY couple of weeks! Last week got to spend a few days up in PA/NY with Mikael. While visiting, got my very first Tattoo! I'll be taking pictures later and can post. We met up with DJRockinSteve for lunch and a trip to Walker's last Tuesday. While out there, we stopped by Presque Isle and met RunningWolf and got to chat with him for a few minutes. So last weekend I started the Cayuga, Rhubarb and Concord. This weekend I will be starting the Plum, Blackberry and Chambourcin.

This past week I started my new job. Everyone at the new agency has been awesome, they seem to be a great group to work with! Everything seems to be so organized there, everyone really seems to be on top of everything. I am really looking forward to working with them.

Amidst all of this, my grapes also came in yesterday! So I'm going to be spending the weekend crushing and pressing. It's been a pretty exciting couple of weeks.

It's been a BUSY couple of weeks! Last week got to spend a few days up in PA/NY with Mikael. While visiting, got my very first Tattoo! I'll be taking pictures later and can post. We met up with DJRockinSteve for lunch and a trip to Walker's last Tuesday. While out there, we stopped by Presque Isle and met RunningWolf and got to chat with him for a few minutes. So last weekend I started the Cayuga, Rhubarb and Concord. This weekend I will be starting the Plum, Blackberry and Chambourcin.

This past week I started my new job. Everyone at the new agency has been awesome, they seem to be a great group to work with! Everything seems to be so organized there, everyone really seems to be on top of everything. I am really looking forward to working with them.

Amidst all of this, my grapes also came in yesterday! So I'm going to be spending the weekend crushing and pressing. It's been a pretty exciting couple of weeks.

Hey Sarah if you're not busy I was wondering....:)

It was nice meeting you and Mikael also!

Hey Sarah if you're not busy I was wondering....:)

It was nice meeting you and Mikael also!

Yea, sure, Of course! Did I mention it's also my anniversary this weekend too! :p At least we got to go out for a really nice dinner last night! Now back to the grapes! :)

I took my bride to Presque Isle Wines in North East today to pick up three nice barrells, Thanks Dan!, then drove to Luva Bella and picked up 5 buckets of Italian juice. Had lunch at Luva Bellas, a nice garlic pizza paired with a real nice Malbec. A real good day!

Back