What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This week Steve(djrockinsteve) and his wonderful wife drove all the way from Pittsburgh to Cedar Rapids to help in our harvest, we picked 500 pounds of Brianna and 500 pounds of Lacrosse

This week Steve(djrockinsteve) and his wonderful wife drove all the way from Pittsburgh to Cedar Rapids to help in our harvest, we picked 500 pounds of Brianna and 500 pounds of Lacrosse

If your grapes are as sweet as the corn, you've got some great stuff there.

How did the draught effect you? I keep reading the corn crops are lousy.

Go Hawkeyes.........

why sure Boss, I will work for the company in NJ at no pay this weekend. I NEVER have anything planned for the weekend. What makes you think that I have anything planned for my days off other than planning what to do when I get back to work on Monday??? Sheesh.... Looks like bottling the Dragon Blood and Barolo will have to wait until next Saturday.....

Sounds like it Bill. We'll have to hook up for bottles after the 16th. From the sounds of it, you're not around this weekend and I'll be in North East Pa next weekend.

If your grapes are as sweet as the corn, you've got some great stuff there.

How did the draught effect you? I keep reading the corn crops are lousy.

Go Hawkeyes.........

Just started harvest, haven't heard of yields yet.

Go Clones! :try

Things have been crazy for me lately, but I got out of work early today (with my supervisor's blessing even!), so I'm finally going to keg 3 gallons of my Apfelwein, and bottle the other 2 gallons leaving it uncarbonated. I'm also hoping to be able to rack my Cranberry, strawberry and Chocolate strawberry port this weekend too! My poor wine cellar has been neglected, and I have a lot of stuff I want to do before grapes come in! I'll be stopping by my LHBS this weekend to order them, I've been gazing longingly at the list all week!

Yes the corn is shot here in Iowa, however the grapes did very well, they really enjoyed the dry weather this summer. We harvested 7000 pounds from 450 vines up about 15 percent from last year

GO HAWKS!!!!!!

Racked a few more wines, also ordered my grapes! I decided not to get anything too exotic, went with Cab Sauv and Chardonnay (I'm going to try battonage on it). I also noticed on Walker's website that they are opening Sept 20th, so I'm planning a road trip for the end of September to get some more juice from them. Now that I have accepted the offer for a new job starting October 1st, I am pretty excited that all of this can happen now. Things are starting to turn around and there is a lot to look forward to this fall!

Congrats Sara, glad to hear things are working out for you. I'm looking at going up to Walkers sometime at the end of the month as well.

Met the winemaker today at my local vineyard. Tried some great wines and am hoping to meet up with him again when things are a bit less busy. They had an open house and it was packed. I may be volunteering for harvest and/or fermenting to get a close up look at how their operation works.

No big wine racking or clearing chores today so I spent the day washing and delabeling bottles. Argggh!

Runningwolf said:
Hey Tony, could you lend me a hand. I scored a few bottles myself.

My goodness!!! That's a lot of bottles!!!! I just started soaking about 40 bottles today so I can bottle a batch. Tarting another batch today. I'm going to go with strawberry pee this time.

That's a beautiful vineyard you have there!!! I pruned my oldest vine today and worked on the younger ones. They are almost at full length now. :D Next year, I should get grapes from all 3 of them. Picked another 4 quarts of bronze muscadines today and froze them in anticipation of the upcoming batch of wine. Should be able to start it at the end of the month hopefully.

Met the winemaker today at my local vineyard. Tried some great wines and am hoping to meet up with him again when things are a bit less busy. They had an open house and it was packed. I may be volunteering for harvest and/or fermenting to get a close up look at how their operation works.
Which vineyard was this dawg. Ive been to most of them but there are a few that popped up recently I havent been to.

Started my batch of strawberry pee. We have already plowed through the dragon's blood (zombie spit).

That's a beautiful vineyard you have there!!! I pruned my oldest vine today and worked on the younger ones. They are almost at full length now. :D Next year, I should get grapes from all 3 of them. Picked another 4 quarts of bronze muscadines today and froze them in anticipation of the upcoming batch of wine. Should be able to start it at the end of the month hopefully.
This is outside of the winery I work at. I was delivering the barrels to someone who purchased them as they were used.

Which vineyard was this dawg. Ive been to most of them but there are a few that popped up recently I havent been to.
This is Lost Acres Vineyard in Granby. It is a very new vineyard. They have about 5 acres of vines right now.

Back