What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a couple kits today a Vintners Reserve Diablo Rojo and Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz. What can I say we like the mist, up the sugar and you get a buzz too. Now if I can just make some time to clean up a few thing we'll be a brew'n.

I still like the cup level or not.

you can also get a can of cranberry sauce to use instead of the syrup mix it with a 1/4 cup brown sugar then add to the rest like yoyu would the syrup.

Pretty simple. Pick up a bottle of Blackberry syrup (or your favorite berry syrup) Pick up a small can of chipolte peppers in the adobo sauce. I use about 4 but I like some heat. Add a cup of red wine vinegar and a couple of cloves of garlic, some salt and pepper to taste. Toss it all into the blender and blend up well. Place the pork loin in a gallon freezer bag, pour in the marinade and let it sit for 24-48 hours. If your really crazy you can use 1 or 2 max habanero peppers instead of chipolte peppers. This makes a nice sweet/spicy tenderloin. I have seen a Raspberry chipolte grilling sauce at Sams that looks like it would work well also. Making your own is usually cheaper for something like this as you would use the entire bottle!

another 10 hour day of work....unfortunately fewer deliveries than usual thanks to Monday's holiday, so the day's dragging....then supposed to bowl tonight.....this will be interesting considering i tweaked my back yesterday....lol....i have to see how many pins my gf's son and i are spotting our opponents after last week's stellar performance....knowing that we establish our averages after the first week on this 12 week summer league, i proceed to go in and shoot 226 the 1st game...i tell my gf's son he'll have to pick up the slack, so i can kinda "try" to shoot a lower score the 2nd game so i don't set my average too high...well, so much for "trying" to keep it low....without fail, after struggling the end of the winter league, i wind up shooting 235 my 2nd game, even with trying not to perform well....he winds up shooting 200....so this time i tell him to just keep the score close to our opponents....he shoots 159....i start out pretty good, missing a spare in the 1st frame, then a split in the 2nd game, thinking "cool, this will work"....but alas, it was all for nothing....finish the 3rd game with a 219....i think about the only thing that would have worked would have been to purposely throw the ball directly into the gutter....lol....what a fine mess i've gotten myself into now, setting my average at 226....lol...

Day 3 wine in primary fermenter. Dreaming about my first taste of home brew. Awhile off yet but I can't wait.

just finished backsweetening the elderberry and elderberry blush, degassed the riesling, sauv blanc, melbac and zinfindal. Then I see all of these 750ml, 1.5l, 1/5 gallon of various wines so I took elderberry blush, niagara, riesling, sauv blanc and blended them together and then added way too much sugar for backsweetening, so now I am going to make a welch's white grape concentrate, dry and blend that, lol, by the time I am done with this, I'm thinking I will have close to a 3g batch

just finished backsweetening the elderberry and elderberry blush, degassed the riesling, sauv blanc, melbac and zinfindal. Then I see all of these 750ml, 1.5l, 1/5 gallon of various wines so I took elderberry blush, niagara, riesling, sauv blanc and blended them together and then added way too much sugar for backsweetening, so now I am going to make a welch's white grape concentrate, dry and blend that, lol, by the time I am done with this, I'm thinking I will have close to a 3g batch

You could add some Ever Clear and make a Port.

I just got home and checked my second hot-pack of Fredonia. The first one is doing great, still bubbling a little after 2 weeks. But the second one isn't doing anything. when I left the fermenting process was pushing on the water in the bubblier, but now it's even across bother tubes. Last week I tried to restart it by adding nutrient and yeast (I added the yeast to water and let it sit a little), I also stirred and used a drill to get some oxygen into the juice. Before I call Walter Juice can I try and restart it or is am I just wasting the stuff? I was thinking of activating the yeast and this time adding some sugar to the yeast and water (1/8 cup) like I do when I make my own pizza dough. Would this help or just call Walter Juice? I didn't check the S.G. as I'm very tired tonight, it's 03:12 right now. But from the first and then last week they read for the second hot-pack 1080 and then 1078.

I thought of that but Mike nor I are big port drinkers.

Julie I made about 1300 gallons of it at work yesterday. You know I really liked it a lot before I fortified it at 18%abv. It has a 10% residual sugar content. You could add a bit more of ever clear or leave it. You could also go all out and make it 18% let it sit and save it for your friends that might like it.

I've had a horrible last 2 weeks. A dear friend, a personal hero of mine (and the Mans, and the kids for that matter...) has been very ill with NASH for the last few months. We were told in late March/ early May that he had 5 years left without a transplant. We ahd hope, but not tons, but we wernt saying goodbyes yet. 2 weeks ago things went south, a week ago he was rushed an hour from here and admitted into ICU there because the 2 local ICUs would not accept his care. We lost him yesterday. I did not think it possible to cry as much as I have. I never got to say goodbye or tell him he was loved. Of course he knew, I know he did, I always told him and his wife that they were my parents, and would even introduce them as my "local mom and dad". I miss him terribly and I know its not fair of me, but I am so angry right now. He fought and beat cancer 6 damned times i think it was, he should not have been taken like this. It was just to quick, and he was entirly to young. Mom is holding strong and I spent most of yesterday and this morning with her, weeping and rehashing old memories, laughing at his stubbornness and crying at his selflessness. Giggling like crazy thinking of times people were fearful of the big teddy bear because he was 6 foot 4, large built, and a biker. I miss him so much : (

Nikki,

Since I have lost my brother just two months ago, I see things a little differently now. When it is your time, it is your time. And that is just it, period! But that doesn't mean it has to be a bad thing. When my brother, his name is Denny, died, he died in his sleep. When I got their the ambulance had him and was starting to leave, I ran across the yard to the ambulance, I can still here my other brother yelling at my to stop, don't do this but I needed to see how he died. His death was peaceful, he was 54 years old and he went to sleep and just never woke up. The day of his funeral, it stormed big time. Mike could hardly see out the window to drive it was raining so hard and the thunder and lightning was very bad. When the hearst pulled up to the church, it stopped raining like someone turn off a switch. When the priest started the mass the funeral directors wheeled the coffin to the front of the alter, when they stopped the sun came out and shined so strong thru the stain glass windows that the color shined onto the coffin. Then the next day my niece sends me a picture of the flowers on Denny's grave, the day was another rainy day but when I got the beep on my phone and opened up the text the sun started to shine again. I am not a religionist person but I really believe God slapped me in the face with heaven. I know my brother is happier there than he was here and that is what you have to realize. Your "local" Dad is happier now and you need to let him have that happiest.

And, while you and I have never met, I think I have really come to know you. I know you are going thru some other issues in your life, don't let this put a wrinkle into any headway you have made.

You want to talk, pm me, I'll send you my cell.

Nikki,
I'm so sorry to hear about your dear friend. As painful as it is, try and have peace in knowing that where ever he is, he's still watching out for you, that you are never truly alone!

Nikki I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know that you're in my thoughts at this difficult time.

Called Walker Juice and they suggested to take some of juice from the hot-pack that did start fermenting (I used a wine thief, the new one that's out) and added two tubes almost full. Maybe this will help and get it started. It seems to be pushing on the water bubble in the bubbler. Got to give it a couple days. This is like watching trees grow. It just takes forever.....

Nikki,

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend. I always believed that things happen for a reason and I always will. When my first wife passed away in 93, a good friend told me that God would not test us in the ways he does if he knew we would fail. His tests are to make us stronger as people. You will always have the memories of your dear friend, and he will always be with you in your heart.

It stormed and rained last night, sun is out full today... It seems surreal like I will wake up anytime now. Thanks for the kind words, I am a bit more healded today and will be able to cope it seems. It just pure BS that it all happened. Guess im getting ready for anger now huh ... BAH

need to rack the cherry lime skeeter pee... it can wait till tomorrow, I will bottle the cran lemon tomorrow as well.

jeepingchick, so sorry for your loss as well....as stated before, i know it is hard, but your friend is in a better place....bless you, girl....hang in there....hugz...

Latest posts

Back