What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled 6 gallons of Italian Plum started last Nov. I definitely over sweetened it but it has good flavor.

DSCN1017.jpg

I knew I shoulda explained that one..... My last name is Horn. To answer your question though... I have a hard time getting rid of Morning Glory :b

I knew I shoulda explained that one..... My last name is Horn. To answer your question though... I have a hard time getting rid of Morning Glory :b
You're bad, you ought to fit in very well with this crowd.

Cleaning up after a successful bottling, transferring, drinking, creating, mixing, stirring kinda evening..

Just started the fermentation process on my two 5 gallon hot packs of Fredonia I got from Walker's Wine Juice in Forestville NY. I also got cooking (fermenting) two 5 gallon hot packs of Catawba, but that was started March 18, 2012. I bottled a wine kit of Blackberry Merlot few weeks ago, that has turned out very good. It seems to get better after each bottle I open (the aging of each bottle and wondering if I'll have any left before it ages properly). I've only started this in March of this year. I'm still new, my neighbor got me started. Thought I would start out slowly (one box to start and see if I like this new hobby). That didn't last long, I'm thinking of getting another box of Blackberry Merlot to make sure I don't run out of wine waiting for the Catawba and Fredonia. Already converted a walk in closet to a wine making closet..... will it every end? Now I need more stuff, bottles, corkers (floor model), filter system, etc......

Trying to do homework... sooooo distracted! I wanna get up n bottle my portttttt!!! *whining helps right?* Oh well! If I can finish this one paper ill let myself up to bottle.... half done is good right??? :(

Just started the fermentation process on my two 5 gallon hot packs of Fredonia I got from Walker's Wine Juice in Forestville NY. I also got cooking (fermenting) two 5 gallon hot packs of Catawba, but that was started March 18, 2012. I bottled a wine kit of Blackberry Merlot few weeks ago, that has turned out very good. It seems to get better after each bottle I open (the aging of each bottle and wondering if I'll have any left before it ages properly). I've only started this in March of this year. I'm still new, my neighbor got me started. Thought I would start out slowly (one box to start and see if I like this new hobby). That didn't last long, I'm thinking of getting another box of Blackberry Merlot to make sure I don't run out of wine waiting for the Catawba and Fredonia. Already converted a walk in closet to a wine making closet..... will it every end? Now I need more stuff, bottles, corkers (floor model), filter system, etc......

Minderaser welcome to WMT. It sounds like maybe you don't live to far away from a few of us. Are you in PA or NY close to Walkers?With everything your looking to buy it sounds like it might be a worth while trip to Presque Isle for supplies next time you go to Walkers. It's less than 30 minutes away.

started a 6 gallon batch of WE Australian Shiraz and a 5 gallon batch of Cranberry Pomagranate (using Julie's Blue/Pom recipe). Sanitized some bottles to prepare for the next batch of bottling (6 gal of WE Shiraz/Merlot).

Thank you Runningwolf, I live in Shingehouse PA off Route 44. I Usually get my stuff from a place in Olean, NY. (Jim) Lee's Wine and Beer Supplies, 1210 Vine Street (a plug for him). His prices seem very good. I've been stopping by Walkers when I drive by (trucking). But will check it out when I can. Thanks again.

Just racked pineapple and dandelion and now chilling with a glass of cranberry :)

Today has been a multitasking day for me. I began the day by disk harrowing the field I am preparing for planting the new vineyard in. I then did some mowing in the vineyard. I did a little left over pruning and have been hosting wine tastings this afternoon. I enjoy it when folks come with an open mind and lots of questions. Nice and warm today hitting almost 90 degrees here.

I just got through popping corks on about 25 bottles of Red. I didn't de-gas before bottling and had four cannons go off throughout the weekend. I put them back in a 5 gal carboy and started pulling a vacuum. That stuff was like opening a coke after it had been shaken up. LESSON LEARNED!

I just got through popping corks on about 25 bottles of Red. I didn't de-gas before bottling and had four cannons go off throughout the weekend. I put them back in a 5 gal carboy and started pulling a vacuum. That stuff was like opening a coke after it had been shaken up. LESSON LEARNED!
Randy, this happened to me a few months ago. Luckily, no bottles exploded but when I opened to taste one I discovered it was very fizzy. I popped all the corks and degassed again, added some K-Meta and re-bottled. Now after a few more months we can't believe how good the wine is. You should be fine.

Thanks for the inspiration, Tony. I had two corks pop while on their side, which made a slight mess, but after finding those, I quickly up-righted the remaining bottles until I could get them back into the carboy. I got lucky. Glad there's hope for the batch!

After work, came home and crushed my Malbec Grapes! Letting nature take it's course and hopefully will see some fermentation soon. The grapes were beautiful, no mold at all, they were wrapped really well too. I'm excited to see what they evolve into!

Racked, degassed and added clarifying agents to my Showcase Lodi Old Vine Zin. Its already not half bad. I have a feeling im going to struggle with letting this one age. Tomorrow, I'll get my Barolo off the sediment and likely leave it on the oak for another month or so.

Well, got the Barolo moved last night. It's a Vino Italiano (Paklab) - I wanted to try a cheap kit for my first, before I went "all in" on this hobby. I modified it (don't shoot me :h ) per some recommendations in many of the reviews on Amazon: 1) made it to five+ gallons instead of 6, 2) used BM45 yeast instead of the kit yeast, 3) bulk aging on hungarian med+ oak. I stole about an ounce when racking and sampled it, along with a $12 chianti I bought at the grocery store. I had low expectations for this wine but figured I'd be thrilled if I could make something that would compare to a ~$10 wine from the store. While not true to it's varietal (not surprising), this little $45 kit already compares favorably to the chianti. It's been on the oak for 5 weeks now. I'm going to let it go another 2-4 and bottle. Another bonus to the bulk aging? I haven't added any clarifying agents yet, and it's getting nice and clear already.

Back