What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will write them a check... assuming they will let us pick up. We have a Buick LaCrosse... I've dragged more rocks home than that!! Weight distributed best in the back seat for some of them.

Debbie

Didn't go check on the elderberries after the rain. Before the meeting I made some Filet Mignot wrapped in Bacon grilled with both hickory and mesquite wood chips. Wow, the yummy goodness. I can't wait for lunch tomorrow.

Officially Start a new job at an indoor pistol/archery range and store. Will get paid to do my most favorite hobbies. But takes away all of my wine care time. I have helped out at the shop for a few weeks now helping a friend get the store get open and going. Might as well draw a paycheck if I want to hang out there that much.:sm

Great news RedNeckWino!!!! Jobs are tough to come by, its a great blessing to get one you will enjoy!

Officially Start a new job at an indoor pistol/archery range and store. Will get paid to do my most favorite hobbies. But takes away all of my wine care time. I have helped out at the shop for a few weeks now helping a friend get the store get open and going. Might as well draw a paycheck if I want to hang out there that much.:sm

Congratulations on the new fun job.

I just hooked up my manual vacuum to one of the 5 gal carboys of Niagara/Cherry and man, does that vacuum take out the gas. I pumped it for quite a while, watching the bubbling inside going crazy. It's holding now at about 15. What do I do next, allow it to clear and sit under a vacuum?

Is there anything else that I need to put in the wine at this point?

Last edited:
Yeah...

Walker's is going to let us pick up a shipment!! We'll get 11 or 12 and bring them back for the wine club!

Debbie

Do not let it clear while under a vacuum or all the sediment will be at ttop instead of the bottom!!!! How do I know......:re If its degassed then take the vacuum off, put the airlock on and just klet it clear by either time or use of a fining agent.
Deb, thats awesome, any idea of what ou are getting from Walkers?

I got Niagara earlier this year and am getting sour cherry and blueberry this time. The rest will be for others in the wine club.
I tasted a Niagara/lime someone made and it was FANTASTIC! He calls it "dirty" wine as he leaves the limeade particles in it. Kind of like a margarita... amazing flavor! Balances the Niagara perfectly! Mine is still clearing.
Debbie

Last night I went to the local Master Gardener's meeting. Nice group of people.
Before that I went out to check on the garden and the deer killed my squash plants and ate all the leaves off my zucchinis. I have a couple of little bunches of grapes on the vines but they are nowhere near ready. Hopefully the stink bugs will stay away from them.
Also discovered that the soil in the yard is pretty nutrient depleted in some spots.
Hopefully, after the wedding is done me and Kat can buy a house and I'll make some happy gardens to grow my wine and maybe grains for beer.

Sounds like a good goal!! People that don't know the goodness of fresh, homegrown food just don't get why we put so much love into the garden!

Debbie

Yeah...

Walker's is going to let us pick up a shipment!! We'll get 11 or 12 and bring them back for the wine club!

Debbie

Debbie that is good news. I am happy for you. Keep in mind they also sell 5 gallon better bottles for $15.00. If you take them out of the box they take up very little room and you can squeeze them in a lot of places. My preference is glass but the BB's definitely have a place in my wine cellar for secondary and short term aging. I know they are out of most of the juice I got in the fall but would also be interested in what all you're picking up and which wines will be blended.

Are you going to stop at any of the wineries in PA, like Presque Isle. It would give you an opportunity to pick up some supplies without mail ordering. When are you leaving?

Enjoying my day off :) Tomorrow I have to get back into:
966fb652-orig.jpg

I'll be praying they've got the A/C fixed... I think I melted last week :) This is what's kept me away from here for the last 10 months; nights in a tow truck suck for having spare time...

Fiddling and started 2 batches of SP (straight - starting off yeast packets, not cultures); threw a sheet over the apple wine so I forget about it for a few months :))

Back