What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carried 20+ bags of clothes and shoes to help with the relief effort here in Alabama. 100+ tornadoes in 2 days last week.
We have entire towns... gone.
Makes me glad i still have a home to come home to.

I was just thinking about you and hoping all was/is OK. Glad to hear from you.

How do you use an ice sock? We get ice dams too... wondering what you are doing to minimize them.

Debbie

http://www.ehow.com/how_7181249_make-ice-melt-sock.html

How to Make an Ice Melt Sock

Ice melt socks can help remove ice buildup on your roof.
Ice buildup or ice dam formation on the roof of a home is a typical problem in areas of the country with long, cold winters. There are several solutions to this problem including applying salt, chlorine or other ice-melting chemicals to the roof. But applying the chemicals to the roof on a regular basis is inconvenient and unsafe as well as potentially environmentally unfriendly; thus, the ice melt sock has been developed. An ice melt sock is a long, flexible, porous sock that is filled with safe ice melt chemicals and applied to areas where ice accumulates on the roof.
Difficulty: Moderate
Instructions

Things you'll need:
Pantyhose or other flexible, porous material
Ice melt chemicals
Wire ties or clamps (optional)
10-to-15-foot pieces of rope (The amount of rope pieces depends on the size of your roof)

Making an Ice Melt Sock
Either cut the legs off of a pair of large pantyhose or cut your other ice sock material into 4-to-8-foot lengths.
Fill the legs of the pantyhose or lengths of other material three-quarters full with a safe ice melt chemical. Do not use salt or chlorine as both of those are potentially hazardous to plants and animals. You can order environmentally friendly ice melt chemicals online or purchase them at your local hardware store, Walmart or Home Depot. Either tie off the end(s) or use a wire tie or clamp.
Tie the 10-to-15-foot pieces of rope to the tied-off end of the ice melt sock. Now you have a rope lead for your ice melt sock so you can just toss it up on your roof close to the ice accumulation area and drag it into position. The ideal arrangement is an ice melt sock arranged vertically every 6 to 8 feet along the ice accumulation creating drainage channels for the snow and ice melt to reach your gutters and be drained off.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
My family was spared any hardship from the storms. We had storms go North of us and South of us.

It is crazy here, but people are pulling together and doing what needs to be done.

glad to hear you and your family are all right did you hear of any of our members that didn't get so lucky

Since the weather has been the pits the last day or so I took the opportunity to get bottles ready for my CC Showcase Yakima Valley Pinot Gris. Will bottle later this week.

WOW, the ice melt sock idea is soooo simple... why didn't I think of it earlier!! Thanks for the tips!

Debbie

sold some "extra" homebrewing equipment. There is a brew Sculpture in the near future.

Racked my CC, Showcase Collection, Yakima Valley Riesling.
Racked and stabilized my Bello Chilean Carmenere juice bucket.

yesterday i racked 56 gallons of wine in carboys. man, commercial ways are so much easier, but we had extra out of the primary from a few batches. good part about it is, we can top up tanks with carboys. bad part, we have to rack the carboys too. lol

I am still harvesting Loquats and seeding them, I keep telling myself I am having fun!!

I checked on the remaining Skeeter Pee from batch one of 2011. We are down to 17 bottles after gifting and sampling. The 6 gallon batch of cranberry lime is just about ready for filtering and bottling. I just pulled together all the ingredients for another batch of regular Skeeter Pee. I'm stating my SG at 1.080 I need to let everything cool down so I can see where I need to be. According to winecalc I need about 10 lbs of sugar for 6 gallons. I started with 9 lbs. I think that should be sufficient. I work from home tomorrow so I'll be able to check later tonight and tomorrow as well prior to pitching yeast Friday. I figure if we get enough pee going we can drink that for the most part over the summer then all the California juices will be spared.

Potted up some flowers to donate to "Friends of the Park" plant sale, dug out weeds, excess flowers, planted garden and generally wore myself out!

My 2 grape vines have bud swell as of today!! There is hope for the world! Now if we can keep the snow away until next November!!

Debbie

Took my son fishing for the first time, he caught 2 crappies and I caught a 10" Small Mouth Bass. I havent been fishing in like 21 years!!!!

Did some homework, now sitting in the massage chair working on labels... it's a hard life.... :)

Spread 5 yards of mulch in the yard, Hung the towel bars and mirror in the remodeled bath. Only have to touch up paint and install a ceramic border now. Went to the nursery and picked up a Royal Raindrops Crab Apple tree. Now I'm throwing a nice 2# steak on the grill!

Latest posts

Back