What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 1/2 hours of work today. Fortunately, French wine is a great analgesic. It really doesn't look like much has changed, bit there was a ton of work that got done. I just ran out of steam entirely this afternoon, 4 bolts shy of having this portion done. The posts and joist supports are the hardest part of any deck job. Rain day tomorrow ... Yay! And the next few days, too. Next up, once the rainy days quit and stuff dries out, is 1 1/2 tons of pea gravel and some landscape fabric. Then the deck joists.

And yeah, I just barely got the headers up and a pair of carpenter bees had a hole in them. Boy do I miss the old skool way of treating wood. That never happened back then.

IMG_3119.JPG

6 1/2 hours of work today. Fortunately, French wine is a great analgesic. It really doesn't look like much has changed, bit there was a ton of work that got done. I just ran out of steam entirely this afternoon, 4 bolts shy of having this portion done. The posts and joist supports are the hardest part of any deck job. Rain day tomorrow ... Yay! And the next few days, too. Next up, once the rainy days quit and stuff dries out, is 1 1/2 tons of pea gravel and some landscape fabric. Then the deck joists.

And yeah, I just barely got the headers up and a pair of carpenter bees had a hole in them. Boy do I miss the old skool way of treating wood. That never happened back then.

View attachment 100985
Looking good!

Enjoy the rain! Mandatory fire evacuations 20 minutes south us, and currently checking in on insurance policies just to make sure we are all up to date... Just in case!

Looking good!

Enjoy the rain! Mandatory fire evacuations 20 minutes south us, and currently checking in on insurance policies just to make sure we are all up to date... Just in case!

Wow. I hope you avoid the fire.

They constantly say we are going to get rain for a few days and then back off as it approaches. It has not rained here yet today, though it looks like showers are coming. Tomorrow was supposed to be solid rain. Ahem... it's now forecast to be partly cloudy. The combo of too cool and too dry has been hard on plants. I have only mowed my yard two times so far this spring. I should be mowing it almost twice a week. Pasture is short and the cows are feeling it.

2 yards is no joke... my wife and I filled 2 new beds with a yard of soil and it was a lot of work. Well done!
My oldest son (7) did help with raking about a quarter of the compost out...well, a little anyway :)

One of tomorrow's projects is to order about 8 tons of gravel. Thankfully, I have my tractor to move that around the property.

Split beehives today to help prevent swarming. Thank God for marked queens. They are so much easier to find in the hives. I’m super thankful for a good over-winter. Of course, now that means I have to extend the electric fence so Yogi and Boo-Boo don’t visit… still, it’s amazing to walk out in the morning and see the bees at work and smell the honey on the air.

Bought a new lawn tractor a few weeks ago, then started having issues with my ancient laptop, so I bought a new one. On Wednesday evening, while setting up the new computer, noticed the oven didn't go above 320*F...so now have a new low end oven (LG). Doing tests on the temperature range when set at 450. Pretty wide spread, more than I thought since I have a pizza stone on the middle rack. High end has been 469*F so far, low end at 439*F when set at 450*F. I'll keep it higher since it will help with pizza cooking when I do it inside due to weather issues outside.

5-19-23_new-stove.jpg

5-19-23_new-computer.jpg

The oven's virgin meal should not disappoint. Maryland crabmeat has been slowly coming down in price...

5-19-23_crabmeat.jpg

FINALLY got the Christmas lights off the outside trees. 😁 They haven't been powered on since January, but we never got around to putting them away until today. I took the time to test each string and tossed a few that had more than half the lights burnt out.

Also got the lawn mowed and the veggie garden partially prepped. We will be out of town next weekend so I want to get the veggies planted this weekend.

My rhubarb plant is going crazy! I have never picked it this early but it's huge, so I went at it. Not enough to make wine with just the one plant, but plenty to share with my mother in law and she turns it into delicious desserts and shares with us. Win, win!!

Tomorrow I have to rack my Barbera juice bucket out of primary. I also have 2 other wines I could bottle, but I think I will end up waiting until after Memorial Day for those. One is a Twisted Mist Piña Colada that I chaptilized so it's more wine than wine cooler - hopefully that one ends up to be a nice summer beverage. So much wine, so little time!

Really hoping this cut-off low in Maine/NS gets a move on. My brother just texted me, they cut their stay at our cabin in NorthCentral PA due to the air quality. Looks like their index is at 230 right now. 165 down here, I do notice I'm huffin' and puffin' a bit if I exert myself too much (like grab more than a beer or two to cool down in the fridge).

Family planning on heading north for a week if this stuff clears up soon...

Back