What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got back to the timber frame. I cut 45 large timbers by the end of March and only three since then! I had hoped to raise the building in June but between the vineyard, lawn, garden, and commitments out of which I cannot weasel, there just isn’t time. I’m shooting for September now.
View attachment 90210
Look at that floor! Was it a tree when you started?

That's gonna look good. nice choice in counter!
Thanks!

This is our second revamp of the bathrooms in 27 years. First time we went from the mid-90's faux-gold look to wood (as shown by the towel ring). (all cabinets in the house are stained oak). The old counter was cultured marble (pink), and it shows the wear of raising 2 boys.

I am NOT looking forward to the master bath, as the counter is over 50% longer and has double sinks. Undoing the plumbing was the hard part, although the replacement counter (which will probably be the same model as this one) will be frelling heavy. I could have done this one myself, but it was smarter to have my son help -- it's 100 lbs according to the package. The master bath will be 150+ lbs. I can probably manage that myself, but it's a truly dumb idea. ;)

Mrs WM81 commented how much this would cost if we paid someone to do it. Both sons are happy I made them learn to do stuff as they were growing up, as both are home owners and fixing most of their own stuff.

Mrs WM81 commented how much this would cost if we paid someone to do it. Both sons are happy I made them learn to do stuff as they were growing up, as both are home owners and fixing most of their own stuff.
It's a valuable skill for sure. I would never have been able to afford what I own if I hadn't done most of the grunting myself.

I have 2 3.5 foot granite slabs on either side of my range top. It originally had a 30" cooktop dropped in. I cut that section out to make room for a 36. I had help carrying those 3 foot pieces back in. Stupid is right.. You could prove you could do it alone. OR... You could drop it and add the floor to the job list. 😄

Undoing the plumbing was the hard part, although the replacement counter (which will probably be the same model as this one) will be frelling heavy

so I had help in inventing new swear words. ;)
I assume frelling is an example?

This is our second revamp of the bathrooms in 27 years. First time we went from the mid-90's faux-gold look to wood (as shown by the towel ring).
I've seen that ring before! Mine is vintage 1993. I leave it there because it was one thing my Dad installed in my house before he passed away. I always remember him ranting that I had a mortgage, his generation paid it off in cash (I wish). I think mine has some more mileage on it than yours, lol.

7-3-22_towel-ring.jpg

his generation paid it off in cash (I wish)
My neighbor paid $6000 cash for his property 40 years ago. I bought a comparable piece of land for $155,000 ten years ago..

I believe he said he made about $6 an hour... I would have had to have made $155 an hour ten years ago to equal the income to cost ratio he had. I assure you, I was not making any where near that much.

I am sure it was similar for you when you bought. Impossible without a mortgage. I feel sorry for the upcoming generation. I recently went back to Vancouver to visit my folks. The average home is 1.5 million. Imagine how daunting the prospect of owning a home is working at Winners for $15 an hour.

I have 2 3.5 foot granite slabs on either side of my range top. It originally had a 30" cooktop dropped in. I cut that section out to make room for a 36. I had help carrying those 3 foot pieces back in. Stupid is right.. You could prove you could do it alone. OR... You could drop it and add the floor to the job list.
We're gonna replace the floor as well, so it's not an issue. Breaking or just chipping the counter is on my mind. Frakking my feet is another.

I assume frelling is an example?
Nope. Search for "farscape".

I've seen that ring before! Mine is vintage 1993. I leave it there because it was one thing my Dad installed in my house before he passed away. I always remember him ranting that I had a mortgage, his generation paid it off in cash (I wish). I think mine has some more mileage on it than yours, lol.
My parents purchased a house in '54 with a 6 year mortgage. Paid it off in 3 years. If 30 year mortgages did not exist, house prices would be MUCH lower.

Gravel actually. I have hauled dozens of wheel barrow loads of chips out already. I leave a nice layer on the gravel so I don’t have to worry when I drop a chisel !!
I was trying to insinuate that you had carved that post from a whole tree. 😏

48 timbers to date. You must have one heck of a shed planned.

🙄 24x36 monitor style barn for firewood, lumber and boat storage. Practice for my timber frame pavilion.
WOW! I had to google monitor style. I've seen them, just didn't know that was the design name.

Hand notched timber framing in a full sized barn. That's no small feat. I look forward to seeing picture updates. Very cool.

I went back to look at the timber. Is that a post designed to interlock with another?

My son & I removed the old counter, and installed the new one. Disconnecting the plumbing was the hard part, as the original plumber used some type of putty on the joints, not Teflon tape. Fortunately, my son has helped me do things since he was old enough to hand me tools, so I had help in inventing new swear words. ;)

Watched a YouTube video on removing counters -- cut the caulk and pry gently. It worked!

We need to seal the counter, let it and caulk used to cement things in place, then plumb it. It looks like the drain lines up like the old one did, so I'll be able to re-use all parts. We'll find out what I get the drain in place.

Then we have some drywall patching -- none of the new fixtures line up with the old ones, so I have to punch out the old drywall anchors, patch, and install new ones.

View attachment 90199
Scrolling back to look at @ChuckD 's Timber I noticed you have a VERY unusual feature in your bathroom. I was focused on the counter when I first saw this, but I caught it in a quick glimpse as I scrolled by.

I can honestly say, I have NEVER seen switches in a mirror before.

WOW! I had to google monitor style. I've seen them, just didn't know that was the design name.

Hand notched timber framing in a full sized barn. That's no small feat. I look forward to seeing picture updates. Very cool.

I went back to look at the timber. Is that a post designed to interlock with another?
That one is a rafter. The tail is reduced and sits in a pocket cut into the top plate. The pair’s are joined at the top with an open mortise ant tendon.
B1BB3CB8-6A1A-49C3-9803-344931CB8264.jpeg
Here I test fit a pair before making all 7 pairs.

I can honestly say, I have NEVER seen switches in a mirror before.
The bathroom is narrow, and there was no other place to put the switches. We had the choice of installing a significantly narrower mirror, or use a mirrored face plate. The narrower mirror would have looked odd (have to balance on both sides, so it would be 1+' narrower), so we went with the switches in-mirror.

I have 2 3.5 foot granite slabs on either side of my range top. It originally had a 30" cooktop dropped in. I cut that section out to make room for a 36. I had help carrying those 3 foot pieces back in. Stupid is right.. You could prove you could do it alone. OR... You could drop it and add the floor to the job list. 😄

Just curious, how did you cut your granite?

When I renovated our kitchen, I chose soapstone countertops, because I was able to perform the whole fabrication myself using carbide tools. I do have a giant wet diamond tile saw that could handle cutting the slabs you had. But it is not giant enough to do the whole fabrication!

When I renovated our kitchen, I chose soapstone countertops, because I was able to perform the whole fabrication myself using carbide tools. I do have a giant wet diamond tile saw that could handle cutting the slabs you had. But it is not giant enough to do the whole fabrication!
It's actually very easy. I have a diamond blade for a standard 7 1/4 skill saw. Cheap too, under $20 and I've had it for years. I taped the surface and marked the tape to avoid scratches. First cut was shallow, I was being cautious, maybe a 1/4 inch. I did the second piece of counter in one pass, just went slow. It was slower than cutting tile, but not by much.

I did the same to cut a door in a concrete cistern for my root cellar. Also rented a gas concrete saw with a 14 inch cut off disc. The 7/14 was way easier and faster, but the 14 inch discs cut through the rebar a lot easier.

I have a bad habit of calling everything granite. The dining table is granite which is why it is always on my tongue, but I am pretty sure the counters are quartz

Last edited:
That one is a rafter. The tail is reduced and sits in a pocket cut into the top plate. The pair’s are joined at the top with an open mortise ant tendon.
View attachment 90229
Here I test fit a pair before making all 7 pairs.
That's awesome. I built my shop, it's 40X60. I did everything with one other guy, except the slab. That I had finished by experts.

There is a big difference between stick framing and timber, though. Both the skill and patience involved as well as the final product. I would love to build something that intricate one day.

I'm very impressed, good for you.

I can't help but wonder, do you have experience with this style build, or are you winging it?

Latest posts

Back