What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the view my wife and I have this week. When we are not on the boat fishing. Very windy today, gusts 25-35 mph, so we are sitting and reading this afternoon.
We are at Long Lake, near Vergas, MN for a week of chill and relax.

View attachment 77808
Does the book go in the left hand and the wine glass in the right ? Or is it the other way around. I keep forgetting which is the correct way ?

Does the book go in the left hand and the wine glass in the right ? Or is it the other way around. I keep forgetting which is the correct way ?

The cigar is in the right hand, wine glass in the left. Except for when we are fishing. This was the catch this morning. The one my wife is holding was 3 lb 8 oz, 18 inches long. Should make a nice fish fry tomorrow night.

PXL_20210823_174537677.MP.jpgPXL_20210823_171713985.MP.jpg

Day two of "Operation Prepare for Crush" - sort of. I did get half of the 2019 Zin bottled. Then we suddenly decided to go to the Nats game - they walked off the Mets, it was beautiful. Got home just in time to grill up some chicken for dinner, then off to baseball practice. I'll sleep well tonight.

Just back from the media conference at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center to begin Huntsville, AL's Artemis Launch Celebration in anticipation of the test launch of NASA's Artemis I mission utilizing the Space Launch System (SLS) almost exclusively designed and managed in Huntsville! Launch is currently set for Dec. 16 but probably will actually occur in early 2022. Lots of coming community events.

IMG_20210908_103110529.jpg

Just about time to head south to Phoenix. Planned trip includes stops at Total Wine and More, some nice restaurant (to be decided on when the mood or whim strikes). Check into the hotel, have a couple of drinks then take a taxi over to the concert venue. Get up nice and early sunday to pick up grapes at 7:00 then straight home. Equipment all clean and set up for crush, neighbors already eager to get going on their first batch and a big flank steak marinating for tacos afterwards. Off to the "big city"!

Yesterday @Cynewulf and I met at @berrycrush's house and did a tasting of his wines. The first was a step tasting of 2020 to 2017 Leon Millot from his vineyard. My favorite was the 20 followed by the 17. Next we did a tasting of 2016 Chilean Pinot Noir. He use 3 separate yeasts and each was done by crushing and whole cluster fermentation. With all of them the whole cluster was the winner. The side by side comparison of these wines was really interesting.

Thank you Greg for your hospitality.

I needed to find a place to store my 2020's. Didn't have enough empty cartons or wine rack space so came up with a wine shelf. Spec. capacity of 375 lbs. then beefed up a bit more then loaded up with about 268lbs of wine (96 bottles at 2.8lbs each). I use all bordoux style bottles and tilted the shelf at 10 degrees and they stacked nice and secure.
WineShelf.jpg

Looking fantastic Mike!

I needed to find a place to store my 2020's. Didn't have enough empty cartons or wine rack space so came up with a wine shelf. Spec. capacity of 375 lbs. then beefed up a bit more then loaded up with about 268lbs of wine (96 bottles at 2.8lbs each). I use all bordoux style bottles and tilted the shelf at 10 degrees and they stacked nice and secure.
View attachment 79157

Yesterday @Cynewulf and I met at @berrycrush's house and did a tasting of his wines. The first was a step tasting of 2020 to 2017 Leon Millot from his vineyard. My favorite was the 20 followed by the 17. Next we did a tasting of 2016 Chilean Pinot Noir. He use 3 separate yeasts and each was done by crushing and whole cluster fermentation. With all of them the whole cluster was the winner. The side by side comparison of these wines was really interesting.

Thank you Greg for your hospitality.
Thanks for reporting the tasting, Fred. @Cynewulf, what was your take on the Pinot technique variation effect, which yeast did you favor?(Assmanhausen, Burgundy, Red Star)

Helped our local wine group unload the trucks and sort the order, 906 lugs and 243 juice buckets. About 10 -12 people helping and I thought it went pretty smooth. Some of the pallets were mixed so we had to break them down and place in their proper location so we could get the final count. With the exception of some known errors with the order we were only missing one lug of Malbec. We started at 7:00 am and were finished around 10:00. Then the people that helped were able to pick up their items. Afterward around 11:00 tables and chairs were pulled out and we sampled wines, homemade bread and cured sausage some of the others made. A lot of work but good people so I'll more than likely do it again next year.

Helped our local wine group unload the trucks and sort the order, 906 lugs and 243 juice buckets. About 10 -12 people helping and I thought it went pretty smooth. Some of the pallets were mixed so we had to break them down and place in their proper location so we could get the final count. With the exception of some known errors with the order we were only missing one lug of Malbec. We started at 7:00 am and were finished around 10:00. Then the people that helped were able to pick up their items. Afterward around 11:00 tables and chairs were pulled out and we sampled wines, homemade bread and cured sausage some of the others made. A lot of work but good people so I'll more than likely do it again next year.

I may join you if the schedule works out. Thanks again for the delivery. How did your other grape pickup and crush go?

Thanks for reporting the tasting, Fred. @Cynewulf, what was your take on the Pinot technique variation effect, which yeast did you favor?(Assmanhausen, Burgundy, Red Star)
My smell and taste were impaired but I think my preference was for your whole cluster across the board and the Assmanhausen, then Red Star, then Burgundy yeast, as best I could tell. What were your other guest’s favorites? Smell and taste are almost back 100% so I’m looking forward to opening the bottles you sent home soon! Thanks again for hosting a great afternoon!

I may join you if the schedule works out. Thanks again for the delivery. How did your other grape pickup and crush go?

Didn't end up crushing until this morning and the Viognier wasn't going to be picked until today and didn't want to make 2 trips. I just got back and debating on whether I'll process today or tomorrow. The PV looks great and as they told me they would intentionally pick the Vio overripe. Doesn't look the greatest but they said it makes good wine this way. They also gave me some native culture which I'm going to try.

Latest posts

Back