What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 61761View attachment 61762
We're at the height of a heat wave here today, possible record of 102 probable. Yesterday though I was very pleasantly surprised when I hooked up to test for the first time the mister system on the deck. It runs around the 3 exposed sides of the entire 12x40 area with nozzles every 24". Only had to replace 3 nozzles and going down to ACE today to pick up an in-line filter and a replacement drain plug but other than that it works just like it's supposed to. Cooled the deck from 101 to 89 in minutes.

Very neat, even though it took the temps to 89 doesn't it also make your body cooler with the mist?

, View attachment 61749
The Chile juice this season tended to be low TA and high pH. ,, As a Vinters club we are providing all folks with analysis to encourage better wine, and collecting their feedback.
,View attachment 61747
Starting at TA 0.33%; pH 3.65; 1.091 (Gewurztraminer) it is tempting to split my bucket and ”fix” the TA on half of it, and run “as is“ like most club members will do.

Decision time, ,,, I feel more familiar with fruit products.

YIPPEE ! ! , , , Prairie Vinters Club orders arrive today, ,
the bucket of Gurtz that was supposed to be mid March is finally in town, , YIPPEE
I've just received a Gurtz/Reisling combo. Have you had any experience with that? Any tweaking that you would recommend? I love Gertz, and I love Reisling so I couldn't resist the combo made by WE.

I'd follow the instructions and keep learning the process. It's fun to tweak but it is very easy to for example, to add a recommended addition of extra tannins anywhere except for the beginning of the process and make a wine that takes a very, very long time to age and not wack you in the face with astringency. I know...they're getting much better at 4 and 5 years old, but it's hard to be that patient.

I've just received a Gurtz/Reisling combo. Have you had any experience with that? Any tweaking that you would recommend? I love Gertz, and I love Reisling so I couldn't resist the combo made by WE.
If a kit, it should be balanced.
If a bucket of juice, ,,, dry normally is 0.65-0.75% TA, ,,, Sweet 0.7-0.85% TA, ,,, ie. how dry do you like a wine? My bucket of Gurtz became pH 3.26 and TA of 0.81% by adding 11 grams acid blend per 4 liter. (start was 0.33% TA). From a chemical stability, micro issue I like pH of 3.3 therefore I back sweeten.
Craig suggested tannin, whites/ fruits often get Blanc soft Scott Labs, lower flavored.

Last edited:
After 7 months of living in the new house the time has come to get going on building my new wine making area. One of the few things I miss from California was my little 12x12 wine building. The new space is in the walkout basement, much larger and really cheap comparatively since I just have to frame 2 walls to separate the space from the rest of the foundation/crawl space. Total area is slightly over 250 square feet plus the existing "office" space of 144 square feet. I'm hoping to finish the framing today then start creating the two access doorways. After that it'll be a matter of adding 2x2 runners across the ceiling, re-routing the lighting and electrical outlets and either drywalling or paneling the entire area. We've been near or at 100 degrees for the past couple of weeks and the warmest the basement has reached is 72 so I don't think any additional insulation is in order. Since the walls are primarily partitions and to hold the paneling I've gone with 24" O.C. stud spacing. The project may stall for a couple of weeks since we're off to Havasu City for a couple of days and are expecting our first visitors in months the following week but I'm thinking It can be in functional order by mid July.

NewWinery.jpg
Back to work.

After 7 months of living in the new house the time has come to get going on building my new wine making area. One of the few things I miss from California was my little 12x12 wine building. The new space is in the walkout basement, much larger and really cheap comparatively since I just have to frame 2 walls to separate the space from the rest of the foundation/crawl space. Total area is slightly over 250 square feet plus the existing "office" space of 144 square feet. I'm hoping to finish the framing today then start creating the two access doorways. After that it'll be a matter of adding 2x2 runners across the ceiling, re-routing the lighting and electrical outlets and either drywalling or paneling the entire area. We've been near or at 100 degrees for the past couple of weeks and the warmest the basement has reached is 72 so I don't think any additional insulation is in order. Since the walls are primarily partitions and to hold the paneling I've gone with 24" O.C. stud spacing. The project may stall for a couple of weeks since we're off to Havasu City for a couple of days and are expecting our first visitors in months the following week but I'm thinking It can be in functional order by mid July.

View attachment 61898
Back to work.

Floor drains?

Today, I scheduled my 8th (yes, 8th) interview for the same job. That'll happen on Thursday and I'm feeling pretty good going into what should be the final interview. This process started over a month ago. Also had a great first interview on another opportunity and managed to start the process on a few others and even mow the lawn. I'm getting good at this Zoom/Skype stuff! 🤣

Install as much insulation as you can. That will help keep it at a constant temperature. If you are forced to condition the space later in the year it will help with the utility bill.

Jim

Nice! Looks like it would be easy to add a 8 or 10 inch flexduct for summer cooling. Use a closable wall diffuser (register grate) to shut it
off for the winter heating season. If your budget allows it, a small minisplit would be great! An energy efficient individual zone for climate controlling. Interior wall insulation will help isolate that heat throwing furnace from the cooler wine room.

Last edited:
Enjoying the best day of the week, cutting grass on my lot(with no house yet).
Any fish up there close enough to cast to? I'd have my grill there on the waters edge, a beer in one hand, a fishing pole in the other while I was cooking. Notice I didn't say I'd have my rod in my hand, I would have been unmercifully crucified on this site.

Any fish up there close enough to cast to? I'd have my grill there on the waters edge, a beer in one hand, a fishing pole in the other while I was cooking. Notice I didn't say I'd have my rod in my hand, I would have been unmercifully crucified on this site.
Locals call it walleye alley in front of the lot. I have seen about 25 boats going back and forth before. Waiting impatiently for the house to go up an have a glass a wine as the sun goes down(or comes up, either way). May not be sure if the walleye come that close to shore, but I'm sure I will try.
1591204074527.png

Back