What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy times:

From the Post Gazette:

"Like many adults, Chris Field, of Morningside, likes to unwind with the occasional glass of wine after a day of classes at the University of Pittsburgh, where in May he is set to earn a master’s degree in public policy. Normally, he buys his reds and whites a couple of bottles at a time. Yet at lunchtime on Sunday, he pushed a shopping cart filled with more than a dozen bottles toward his car at the Fine Wine & Good Spirits store in East Liberty Shopping Center in East Liberty. “I want to do my part to self-isolate when it gets bad,” he said, referring to the outbreak.""

"On Friday, the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board announced that it was closing dozens of Fine Wine & Good Spirits stores and service centers in the eastern part of the state to help limit the spread and impact of the virus, which to date has tested positive in more than 3,000 Americans."

Keep in mind I am new at this. I used the scale the has all the numbers in it in color. starts at 1.000and ends at 60. my 1st reading was 80 not 1.080. Possibly the beer/wine scale. Also I was told not to add sugar at the time I put it in fermeter.

Here is a good video on how to read your hydrometer:

Earlier in the year I applied and was approved for a membership to Restaurant Depot and just today I went and did my final registration. I gave them my company business licenses and told them it was DBA Black Cellars. I'm going to have to go back but when I was there I swear they have 10 lb packages of frozen blueberries for $18.00. When I just checked online it's about 1/3 of the cost of a similar quantity.

the scale on my hydrom. has different color the "80" I am referring to is in the light green/light yellow area above 1.100 and now using the same scale it is reading 1.000 and has been for about 2 days now. On the side of the scale it says dessert wine, table wine, start and finish.

The video was EXCELLENT! my reading was 1.080 on my hydrometer, sorry

Great! You are now learned in the art!

(Feel free to start your own thread on this subject, so it does not get lost in the ebb and flow of this thread, which drifts from day to day.) Sooo, your current reading of 1.000 means that your wine is nearly finished fermenting. IIRC, you already put this into a glass carboy? If so, you do not have to do much at this point but wait. After a week or two, you will want to make sure that there is not a lot of "headspace" (empty space) at the top of your carboy. And you will want to add sulfites (potassium metabisulfite) to protect your wine from spoilage and oxidation.

Amended, fertilized, and tilled my garden yesterday. Today I hoed up all of the rows, bedded the whole thing down with pine straw, and planted it. This year, we’re doing cucumbers, a variety of tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, basil, and a smattering of hot peppers. If the supermarket insanity continues, at least I’ll have some veggies on hand.

Hunkering down in "Ahia!" Getting a lot of things done around the house and the yard that I never seemed to have time to do.

We are fairly well stocked with food and wine. Only concern would be fresh vegetables. We do have a good supply of canned vegetables but I have to rinse them before use due to the salt.

As for TP, we are in good shape. My bride overstocks even in good times.

Been a long time, but I've come out of wine-making-retirement. We bought a house and had planned to restart the "lab" in the basement, but alas the basement leaked, so that put a stop to that. We haven't had the time to fix it yet either, which continues to suck. Since they're talking about closing liquor stores in out area due to Covid19, I decided to throw on a few batches of Danger Dave's Dragon Blood. I guess when I bottle it it'll have to be the C-19 batch, LOL. They may quarantine me, but they can't make me be sober! So that's what I'm doing, listening to the bubbles and prepping for too much time with my kiddos.

Earlier in the year I applied and was approved for a membership to Restaurant Depot and just today I went and did my final registration. I gave them my company business licenses and told them it was DBA Black Cellars. I'm going to have to go back but when I was there I swear they have 10 lb packages of frozen blueberries for $18.00. When I just checked online it's about 1/3 of the cost of a similar quantity.
Have you checked the blueberry farms near gino pintos? I would think they would be damn cheap in the summer

Have you checked the blueberry farms near gino pintos? I would think they would be damn cheap in the summer

I'm 3 hours away from Gino Pinto's and around me all the farms that sell fresh produce think their product is gold. Plus from what I'm understanding frozen blueberries are one of the few fruits that are as good frozen as fresh. Although I have no experience, just what I read.

I had knee ACL reconstruction surgery last Friday so I've been lying low at home anyway. Today I have some chile ready for harvest, have to teach some (online) university tutorials and do a bit of writing work that I've let slip for a while.
Here in Australia the virus is starting to hit .. my state has 37 confirmed cases but they're mostly only testing according to very specific criteria (been overseas recently, in contact with a known case, etc) .. people are generally heeding the warnings and keeping social distance where possible I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Australia the virus is starting to hit .. my state has 37 confirmed cases but they're mostly only testing according to very specific criteria (been overseas recently, in contact with a known case, etc) .. people are generally heeding the warnings and keeping social distance where possible I think.

Continue to lay low and encourage your friends and neighbors to do the same. It's not happening as much as it needs to here in the US and I'm afraid we're going to make Italy look like a walk in the park soon.

Continue to lay low and encourage your friends and neighbors to do the same. It's not happening as much as it needs to here in the US and I'm afraid we're going to make Italy look like a walk in the park soon.

A short 24 mile trip across the bridge, New Orleans cases are quickly mounting, certainly affected by the increase in testing that has become available. Most feel that the virus was around during Mardi Gras, an environment very rich for disease communication. I hope you all stay safe.

Project time, , hunting in the garage I pulled out an 8rpm reversible motor, , , @salcoco, wonder if I have enough unfinished projects to test a linear action corking tool?
.. my state has 37 confirmed cases but they're mostly only testing according to very specific criteria.
Are we surprised? The daughter two weeks ago mentioned that her doctors could not submit more than 100 per day (this was a research grade 3 day test). , , Humm, , With their criteria they get positives 10% of the time. , , , good news, , The state lab started working weekends and overtime so they plan to be up to 600 virus tests per day.
We are at the point in the infection where “unexplainable “ transmission is occurring in the county. The guess is logarithmic growth in exposure is just starting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back