What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing some yard work yesterday and stumbled across this guy in my landscaping. I know some of you live in areas where snakes are common, but it's rare around here. I've lived in the area all my life and never seen this type before, had to look this one up.snake 1.jpg

snake 2.jpg

What was the verdict? Lot of snakes in these parts. My backyard has lots of common garder snakes that freak me out until I can make sure its not a rattler which we have as well but mostly see them out on the hiking trails. Bull snakes are quite common and they scare that crap out of you just because of their sheer size. 4-6 feet in length but harmless and they eat mice and rats.......

Doing some yard work yesterday and stumbled across this guy in my landscaping. I know some of you live in areas where snakes are common, but it's rare around here. I've lived in the area all my life and never seen this type before, had to look this one up.View attachment 54818

View attachment 54819

It appears to be a DeKay’s Brownsnake, which is reportedly common and harmless eating mostly slugs, earthworms, and various insects. I'm sure they're out in the less traveled areas, but it was just surprising to see it in the landscape, nearly stepped on it as I walked through the rocks.

Good call I would say!

S-dekayi-on-rock-K-Briggs.jpg

It appears to be a DeKay’s Brownsnake, which is reportedly common and harmless eating mostly slugs, earthworms, and various insects. I'm sure they're out in the less traveled areas, but it was just surprising to see it in the landscape, nearly stepped on it as I walked through the rocks.

That one would cause me to jump for sure, even though it's harmless, I'm not used to seeing colors like that.

Speaking of snakes, a coworker of mine was at her son's cabin at Raystown Lake, not real far from here. They were sitting around the bonfire, she got up, went inside (I assume for another drink) came back out down the stairs and heard something that sounded like a hose that sprung a major leak. She was wondering why they turned the water on until she looked down at a rather large rattlesnake. The son dispatched of it's head and they proceeded to char broil it over the fire. Turned out they said it tasted like chicken. My coworker was still a bit rattled when she talked about it today. I'll have to try and get an image off her phone, it was a rather large snake. I've heard them at our cabin but haven't seen one in my 56 years. Seen plenty of copperheads though.

Got the privilege of picking my oldest Son up at the airport today, fresh from Destin/Ft Walton Beach area. He has two weeks of leave, came home to see his sister graduate from high school Friday. We drove home through some doozy thunderstorms. Some of the pouring rain from all directions made me think I'd soon see a funnel crossing the road. Got into Hanover to find trees down and electric out. We've had quite a few nasty storms lately and have had more tornadoes confirmed in PA this year than any other year on record. Now, I'm sure the total (in the high 20's) is as many as the midwestern states get in a single outbreak, but we usually do average just a few a year. Keep them dang things out West y'all.

Doing some yard work yesterday and stumbled across this guy in my landscaping. I know some of you live in areas where snakes are common, but it's rare around here. I've lived in the area all my life and never seen this type before, had to look this one up.View attachment 54818

No triangular head, so you're likely safe. Still that color reminds me a bit of a copperhead - not safe.

Last summer, I came home one afternoon to my son running around like a crazy person, all excited. Turns out, he saw what he thought was the tail of a rubber snake sticking out from under something in the garage. He picked it up to bring it outside and scare his friends and it slithered out of his hand. Fortunately, it was just a black snake.

Good to see you back Craig. Enjoy your visit with your son!
I've been lurking in the shadows all along. Just am a bit time deprived at the moment. Everyone at work realized I'm going away in the near future and decided to dump everything on me at once. Enjoying my son being home immensely. Greeted him with a two and a half hour power outage last night, he was just chuckling...Guess they get that every now and then down in the panhandle. He said the thing he didn't expect living down there were the frequent waterspouts.

Latest posts

Back