What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers from Atlantis on Pardise Island, Nassau, Bahamas, where rum reigns supreme!!
I was there once, way before Atlantis was built. Howard Hughes had bought the resort across from us and I guess lived in the Penthouse. I was in fourth grade, would have made it 1972 or 73, I think. Old enough to get too sunburned chasing around chameleons along a vegetative area along the beach, too young to enjoy the rum. I remember trying to eat a whole grouper for dinner one night...those were the days! Looks like fun.

I'm guessing that no one left hungry! That's a lot of food, great job! Not everybody can get those different types of meat to get done around the same general time, you have talent for sure.

Thanks, used my inkbird 4 probe thermometer to keep track of temps (bought it through this site).

I've been doing this for several years now, and do a wedding or two a year with a group of buddies for fun (and beer).

Just arrived home from a weekend with fellow winemakers @mainshipfred, @heatherd, @tjgaul, @pgentile plus wives/husbands/a daughter. Very enjoyable time. The wine and food festival was fun, but exhausting at the same time. Rain for the most part held off (could have been worse), I think today's weather will be better and much warmer. The meetup in Fred and Paul's adjoining rooms was quite entertaining and fun for the most part. Hopefully @pgentile will post some images in the near future. I will leave any details out until then! (What happens at Split Rock, stays at Split Rock is my new motto) Now off to look for my next grilling victim at the local Giant. The gyro and crab cake sandwich for lunch/dinner last night were good, but I missed my grill.

Settling back into reality. After a fantastic week in the Outer Banks, I woke up at home this morning. :(

What a coincidence. Saw the same exact thing when we were staying at the Outer Banks a few years ago!

demi-rose-mawby-in-a-pink-bikini-riding-a-horse-on-the-beach-in-cape-verde-011217_4.jpg

Built a small deck and stairs for our above ground pool. Not finished yet, still need to add more spindles to the railings, and add railings and a gate on the stairs.
Did this for under $100, got all the wood from the cull/damaged piled at Home Depot.

It was over 32 C (90 F) here today before humidity. I think I drank 4-5 jugs of water.

Now enjoying a cold beer to relax.
20180704_195534.jpg

Again not today but yesterday my spring wines were 3 weeks from the time my chromo showed no malic so I added sulfite and put them to bed for a while in the cooler. That was the only good thing that happened. Went to my boat to replace what I thought was a bad started in the genny. Maybe a good thing, it was the starter. It would try to start and immediately cut off but at least it turned over and tried. So I get home after being a little discouraged and my wife tells me the upstairs AC unit is making a terrible noise. Heck, it was 94* and I was already in it for hours on the boat. Go outside and its the fan motor which was suspposed to have been replaced when we had the unit serviced a month ago. Took the unit apart to see if there was anything I could do (remenber it was the 4th). Eventially the fan just froze up and I removed it to get a replacement today. I had to make sure they charged me for the motor which they did. So they come to pick up the motor from my truck and the guy tells me he is not a technician and has no tools. So guess who had to install the motor. Don't know what to do about the bill but at least the unit is working. Back to the boat. While figuring out what to do about the motor I was also thinking about the genny and remembered there is a low coolant safety switch which I remembered from a long time ago when it quite and all I had to do was add antifreeze. To install the starter I had to disconnect a coolant hose and lost some antifreeze, maybe too much. Today is better, the AC is working and I'm pretty sure I have a fix for the genny. We have All Star tickets for the Futures Game, Home Run Derby and the game and want to take our boat to a marina which is less then a block from the stadium and stay 2 nights.

Helping my dear wife aka assistant wine maker aka first mate on our boat. She fell on steps at our sons house last night and broke her leg! In ER Last nite and today the orthopedic doc. Good news is she only needs a cast and should be ok to go on our trip to UK AND SCOTLAND this fall. Thank God.

Latest posts

Back