What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to make a wine bottle drying rack. The “tree” type. Took about 1.5 hrs if that. It was from scrap wood plus two sections of wood dowel I had to buy. It holds 15 bottles. Will stain and seal all the wood.
An easy rainy day project cost me a little more than $5.
Joe
As one who can't seem to cut two pieces of wood the same length, I'm envious!

95030DDB-BB38-4823-B8A9-69AD31064494.jpeg Not painted yet but works pretty good. I tend to scrape and wash a case at a time so this will hold 14 max.

Dowels should be about 45 degree angle to drain properly. I used two 6’ pieces of dowel rod which was the only expense.

Don’t get gorilla glue on your hands!

Last edited:
Not today- but the other night. I couldn’t sleep and turned on the TV and Sideways had just started.
Maybe this movie is a cliche’ for winos to love, but I don’t care. I still love this film. Been a few years And I ended up watched the entire thing.
The scene towards the end of the movie when they are talking about why they love wine is by far my favorite- And I believe supposed to be correlating to life itself. Love it. This one never gets old.

Good one for sure but also kinda depressing in the same breath. Reminds us that life isn't always pretty and everything doesn't always get wrapped up in a pretty bow in the end of every movie.

Good one for sure but also kinda depressing in the same breath. Reminds us that life isn't always pretty and everything doesn't always get wrapped up in a pretty bow in the end of every movie.

......and, just like a bottle of wine, you shouldnt risk waiting too long before enjoying it. :)
There was actually a Sideways sequel made almost 10 yrs later picking up where the original left off. Though it was never made into a movie- only the novel. Called Vertical. (I own it but have yet to read it) And you may be interested to know this sequel is NOT focused in Napa, with the main focus up in Northwest wine country—-in Willamette Valley, Oregon for a Pinot Noir wine festival.
** and just now while fact checking myself I learned a 3rd installment was also written about
3 yrs ago. Set in Chile.

Dad's headed over in a bit and we'll bottle the 2016 Zinfandel based blend I'm calling "Unchained". We have 11 gallons to deal with. I'll label and foil another time. Will also rack, stabilize and add oak to the 2018 Carmenere/Petite Verdot.

Thanks to @ibglowin , who gave me the blend ratios for a past "Prisoner" offering a while back. That's what "Unchained" was modeled after and I think we've made something that can stand up to its inspiration.

Sadly I am down to only a couple bottles of mine but that was easily one of the best blends I have ever made hands down. You should have a good one as well as long as you don't over oak it and I suspect you have your oak levels dialed in by now.

Dad's headed over in a bit and we'll bottle the 2016 Zinfandel based blend I'm calling "Unchained". We have 11 gallons to deal with. I'll label and foil another time. Will also rack, stabilize and add oak to the 2018 Carmenere/Petite Verdot.

Thanks to @ibglowin , who gave me the blend ratios for a past "Prisoner" offering a while back. That's what "Unchained" was modeled after and I think we've made something that can stand up to its inspiration.

Been having some lower back and hip problems lately, woke up today and things were feeling better, so figured it's time to make the 'ol hip hurt again. Put a 4-5 inch base of rock down for a simple walkway. Wanted to get that started and let it settle for a few weeks (and rains) before I put in my 11 yr old daughter's "fairy garden" which will be the plot to the left of the walk.

6-16-18_walk-base.jpg

Back