What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7351A661-DAD3-4979-BE3E-3768E86AC51F.jpeg Decided to put off the decanting until tomorrow. Too cold in the garage and I’d rather spend Sunday going for a walk, reading and perusing wine and beer forums for ongoing inspiration. Anyway re this follow up pic. The fruit has dropped. Brix / SG similarly faded away so definitely time to rack.

Brand new Wegmans opened under a mile from my house about two hours ago. Just ran over to take a look around. Gonna be nice having that place so close. And their wine prices are comparable to TW. :i

Brand new Wegmans opened under a mile from my house about two hours ago. Just ran over to take a look around. Gonna be nice having that place so close. And their wine prices are comparable to TW. :i

"Honey, We're almost out of coffee. I'm going to run out to Wegman's for some more, and for some of those chicken thighs that are on sale, and, uhhh, a few other things. Do you need anything?"

Took the afternoon off, along w/ Mrs Boatboy and watched the Nats crush Tampa. Was nice seeing Wilson Ramos back in DC and he got a warm reception.

Planning what to do with 30 liters of Ranpur juice. I need to significantly reduce acidity, add sugar and hope my starter will take!

Bottled my WinExpert Eclipse Shiraz, Barossa Valley today. Gave it just a couple months bulk aging before bottling.
Tasted a sample and it was impressive. Looking forward to this one in a year or so. Already planning to do another batch next spring.
20180607_153610.jpg 20180607_153610.jpg

Attachments

• 20180607_153702.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Came home from services to see a brown object moving around in a live trap I set. My son found a "rabbit hole" yesterday, try a gigantic ground hog hole under a cedar we were removing. Set the trap with some really ripe limes. Must of smelled the sweet stuff and had me a ground hog. Texted my local ground hog expert, @jgmann67 for some advice. Released it about 4 miles away with two nice sized streams between me and the release point. Now to figure out if it's the only one, or just the tip of the iceberg. I only like attempting to trap on weekend days, especially when it's not too hot out, so today worked out well.

I do have a new respect for how powerful the little critters are. I was worried it was gonna break through the trap door at any minute. Noticeable bend in the door now, had troubles keeping it opened with the safety latch.

Wonder how they would tasted smoked on some charcoal? Bet it'd taste like chicken, LOL.

Came home from services to see a brown object moving around in a live trap I set. My son found a "rabbit hole" yesterday, try a gigantic ground hog hole under a cedar we were removing. Set the trap with some really ripe limes. Must of smelled the sweet stuff and had me a ground hog. Texted my local ground hog expert, @jgmann67 for some advice. Released it about 4 miles away with two nice sized streams between me and the release point. Now to figure out if it's the only one, or just the tip of the iceberg. I only like attempting to trap on weekend days, especially when it's not too hot out, so today worked out well.

I do have a new respect for how powerful the little critters are. I was worried it was gonna break through the trap door at any minute. Noticeable bend in the door now, had troubles keeping it opened with the safety latch.

Wonder how they would tasted smoked on some charcoal? Bet it'd taste like chicken, LOL.

They’re a little more like meat than chicken, sort of like pork, but greasier like an armadillo.......

Trying my first brisket on the kettle grill. Using a snake with a water pan and some cherry chips along the snake. Not shown in the image is a foil shield between the lit coals and the meat, which I'll rotate around in a few hours when I open to rotate the meat (keeping the thicker side towards the lit coals). Temperature is holding around 235*F, trying to lower it a bit more if possible. If it gets done too early (it is only the flat) they say it can rest for a few hours in a cooler and still stay warm enough to slice and serve.

View attachment 48875

View attachment 48874

Edit:
View attachment 48877
View attachment 48878
View attachment 48879

Two down, one to go...

How was the brisket?

How was the brisket?
Everyone in the family loved it. I keep admiring a whole brisket at our Giant, $2.99/lb, cryvac'd, but I just had to pay the car insurance bill, and my daughter finally got her license, so I'm expecting a $350 additional bill later in the week, time for some toasted cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, for three or four nights in a row.

They’re a little more like meat than chicken, sort of like pork, but greasier like an armadillo.......
My wife mentioned the "richness" aka greasiness. Not her favorite meal. Her parents made her eat all kinds of stuff, not like "here try this it's good", more like "eat it or nothing more tonight". I've made it a point to offer options at dinner and all my kids have turned out to like about anything I put out there. They also are honest when they don't like something so I can provide an alternative they do when we make that meal the next time. We had steamed brussel spouts with parmesean cheese tonight...my son's eyes got big and I had to wrestle a few of them away before he ate them all!

Hmm am still thinking about the Cranberry Wine I intend to make. I have got everything ready to go but am just waiting for the moment. I have so much stuff in carboys right now I think I must seriously sit down and have a planning session with myself prior to adding to the congestion in the shed.

Decided to make a wine bottle drying rack. The “tree” type. Took about 1.5 hrs if that. It was from scrap wood plus two sections of wood dowel I had to buy. It holds 15 bottles. Will stain and seal all the wood.
An easy rainy day project cost me a little more than $5.
Joe

Latest posts

Back