What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stringing more trellis wire and taking the plowing blade off the tractor. It’s has to stop snowing sometime soon.

A friend has a brother (also John) that owns a bar.

The place was a real dump until John bought the place and renovated it into a beautiful Irish pub.
He has his son (a CIA graduate) take care of the food and MAN, WHAT FOOD!!!

I had only been to the place once before. This was my last hurrah before lent, so I made the most of it. I had such a good time that I tipped the bartender $100.00. I saw how hard she was working while maintaining the friendliest of manor. I even bought a T-shirt.

On Saturday, after gardening, we decided to head up there with the wives. They were having a "Smoke out", serving all sorts of smoked goodies and they also having a live band. So, after donning the T-Shirt, we headed on up there.

Now here is where it gets weird.

When I ordered the first round of drinks, I went to hand my CC to the bartender to open a tab.
She took one look at me, and a very stern expression came over her face. She crossed her arms, took one step back, and simply shook her head "No".

Confused, I asked if it was cash only.

She still said "No".

I was confused thinking that she was not going to serve me and that I had somehow angered her. She had already handed me the round of drinks, so why was she looking so stern??

Then I got it. She had no problem serving me drinks. It was my money she did not want.

After considerable arguing, I finally convinced her to accept my card. "Take it. You work hard and deserve it" is what I said.

Well at the end of the evening, when it was time to go, she presented me with this bill. I guess she won the argument.

It always pays to be nice to your servers!!!!

thumbnail3.jpg thumbnail2.jpg

Last edited:
Planning a trip to L'Uva Bella Winery to pick up my next juice bucket this time sangiovese. Nice place good food, and the staff is very helpful with all details of wine making.
Joe

Been contemplating for a while what quality of corks to get in my re-order from Lafitte. Last go round was middle of the pack quality for real cork, #9 x 1-3.4". They've performed well, haven't had any issues, nor have i had to reject a single cork as I was using them, very nice corks. This time, decided to go big or go home, ordered the highest quality available, and since i didn't have to pay the $100 die fee this time around, wasn't much more than the last batch of 1,000. Requested that they bag the corks in smaller batches instead of the bag of 1,000, two 500's sounded pretty doable, and they were going to try to do 4 bags of 250, which is preferred. The last batch only has enough for one more bottling session, so I'll be getting into these pretty quickly..........

Been contemplating for a while what quality of corks to get in my re-order from Lafitte. Last go round was middle of the pack quality for real cork, #9 x 1-3.4". They've performed well, haven't had any issues, nor have i had to reject a single cork as I was using them, very nice corks. This time, decided to go big or go home, ordered the highest quality available, and since i didn't have to pay the $100 die fee this time around, wasn't much more than the last batch of 1,000. Requested that they bag the corks in smaller batches instead of the bag of 1,000, two 500's sounded pretty doable, and they were going to try to do 4 bags of 250, which is preferred. The last batch only has enough for one more bottling session, so I'll be getting into these pretty quickly..........

My first order came in two bags. The most recent one was a single bag. Either way, I planned (and did) to break them into groups of 100 and vacuum seal them.

Just got back from picking up my Chilean Grape Juice. A Cab/Merlot blend, Sryah, and Zinfandel. And since I messed up what someone told me they wanted, also picked up a Cabernet Sauvignon bucket. They have to chill a bit longer, since I am not able to do anything with them this weekend. 2 in the freezer, 2 in the refrigerator and the fifth will go into a bucket covered with ice and a blanket.

Bottling Skeeter Pee, 1 gallon each Lemon, blackcherry,sweet tea, pink lemonade, and rasberry so far Black cherry is my favorite. Put in beer bottles and capped for single serve. 10% abv

Christened the fire pit last night and broke out the good wine after a very nice birthday dinner.
Sometimes I forget what really good wine is and get reminded as soon as my nose is over the glass. It’s almost like “oh yeah. This is what it’s supposed to smell and taste like!”
Also got a really cool bday gift. Another toy. A 1.75gal master vintner SS nitrogen pressurized keg/tap. She thought it would be great to fill for parties and whatnot. But I also think would be great for awkward sized leftover to easily top up with- especially for continued barrel topping.
Was a great night.
IMG_2166.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg
IMG_2156.jpg

It's 'Christmas Eve' here. Headed up to Harford tomorrow to pick up my (and Fred's) Carmenere grapes. Fred joining the Broad Run Cellars staff for crush later in the day. I'm excited and nervous after my 2016 Chilean fiasco. But I've learned a lot in the last 24 months and hope it serves me well.

Did some (very) minor tidying in the winery and got my chems/additives organized for tomorrow. Took the Petite Verdot grapes out of the freezer and moved into the fridge so they're at least a little thawed by tomorrow. Excited to have the wonderful aromas of fermentation floating around soon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back