What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the Flower Show show today and then got bit by a tree and the Nor'Easter. 2.5 hours for the police to respond. No one hurt, but it was dramatic when it happened.]

Someone up there is lookin our for ya. It’s unfortunate that It happened. It’s a miracle your all unscathed.
You should play the lottery today

About to leave for dinner with my bride of 20+ years (I don't have to cook!). Had time this afternoon to bottle up a batch of porter. I hate bottling in general, but especially beer bottling (many more bottles than a wine batch), that's why I have Cornelius kegs (four of them). But, I'll admit bottling beer is much more pleasant with my AIO, and much quicker to boot!

3-3-18_catamount-porter.jpg

Spent the bulk of the day doing yard work, went through 4 yards of soil to even out a few spots where the yard had settled after losing a bunch of trees in Katrina. Stumps were ground down about a foot back then, but over time, as the remains decayed underground, depressions formed. Trimmed and pruned about half the landscape plants, then cooked crawfish for dinner, I’m whipped.

We went for a nice, dare I say it, spring-like walk! Sunny, no snow, temps in the high 30s. It FELT like spring. The trails were muddy and icy, however. We managed a few miles, but also just enjoyed noshing on salami, olives, bread, goat cheese, and red wine. (Our standard hiking fare.)

Getting fired up for baseball. Finalized plans to go to the Nats home opener with a few of my best buds from high school.

Getting fired up for baseball. Finalized plans to go to the Nats home opener with a few of my best buds from high school.

See you there. Our season ticket seats are in centerfield. We received our All-star tickets and although not the same seats they are still in the outfield. I didn't think they would give us outfield seats especially for the home run derby.

See you there. Our season ticket seats are in centerfield. We received our All-star tickets and although not the same seats they are still in the outfield. I didn't think they would give us outfield seats especially for the home run derby.

Wanted to take my son to the HRD. But you can't get tix without buying at least a 10 game plan. :po

Wanted to take my son to the HRD. But you can't get tix without buying at least a 10 game plan. :po

Just curious what the HRD alone would cost, I know it depends on the seats. With our 1/2 season plan the cost of the game, HRD and 2 other events which I don't know what they are were $500.00 per seat.

Just curious what the HRD alone would cost, I know it depends on the seats. With our 1/2 season plan the cost of the game, HRD and 2 other events which I don't know what they are were $500.00 per seat.

So that boils down to about $125 per event. Not terrible - especially considering you'll be in the hot zone for the HRD. Although, you may be better off standing out on the concourse by the outfield entrance. :D

Yesterday afternoon, we drove down to VA Beach and headed to the Adventure Park at the Virginia Aquarium with a bunch of Cub Scouts. We spent the evening zip-lining through the woods under the lights. It was a great time. We spent the night in the aquarium. Didn't realize exactly where we'd bunked up, because it was dark outside, but we were next to an outdoor aquatic environment of some sort. It appeared to be empty (except for the water) and I just assumed it was closed for the winter. As the sun rose this morning, so did our 'neighbors'. We awoke to the river otters, swimming, playing and exploring their new roommates. It was pretty cool.

Just got back and am preparing to host a gathering later this afternoon. Close friend from high school is in town - haven't seen him in 10 years. So 'the boys' and families are headed over for some kick back time and catching up. Can't wait. And it's Lent Cheat Day too!!

I racked my Viognier juice bucket (Ancient Lakes AVA in eastern Washington) off of its winter "battonage" lees. Good, but still young and a tad harsh. At this point, it feels like it could actually benefit from a bit of residual sugar. I won't decide on that for a while.

I racked my Sloppy Seconds Syrah (2nd-run wine). This is better than I expected it to be (which was not that high, honestly). It has a good berry flavor. It is (of course) a bit thin, and has a slight, almost "artificial flavoring" flavor. I think this is shaping up to be a refreshing summer quaff in the mold of Dragon Blood, served slightly chilled.

Racked my RQ Carmenere after its 7 weeks EM. Starting my Passport Two Roads Red - will also be extended Maceration

Now that we are out of most of our debt (thanks to my wife), and have saved up a little money, wifey and I were talking tonight (believe it or not) and she suggested I restock our blackberry and sangria wine stock. So went on Labelpeelers website and spent a bit of money to order some ingredients. I did search around the wine area in the basement, in a bit of disarray right now, and found a bottle with a piece of tape on it named "black", which I think refers to my original batch of blackberry wine from 2015. We'll find out when we open it tomorrow. I was going to make a batch of beer this weekend, but instead plan on using the 8 or so hours to do the taxes and complete some much needed wine tasks.

Latest posts

Back