What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditching the kids and meeting some friends out at a Greek restaurant for some grownup time. :db

Two baseball games and pictures earlier today. Then thunderstorms prevented yard work and forced me to nap for about a half hour.

Cleaning the inside of my car (hopefully tomorrow the outside gets done lol)Great happy hour with neighbors and their parents

Just did a weekend in Harrisburg for a college fraternity reunion/golf outing/cancer fundraiser. Great to see old friends and see what had become of guys that I had good times with in college.

Stopped by a local winery and picked up some of thier overflow bottles for a good price, and stayed to taste some of thier wines.

It was announced at work last week that our plant would be closing at the end of the year. Yet another mismanagement step by the parent company. My only question is do I want to find another job that pays good with high stress, or do I want to take less in the paycheck for less stress?

Just did a weekend in Harrisburg for a college fraternity reunion/golf outing/cancer fundraiser. Great to see old friends and see what had become of guys that I had good times with in college.

I can guess the fraternity, which college? I'd also go with less stress. Some people say take the higher pay, but if the stress is high enough you won't be making the higher pay for very long.

Wife and I just tasted a peach/mango, a little too acidic at this point to leave dry, so calculating the simple syrup addition I need to add to get to 1.002. Also plan on cleaning lots of bottles today and bottling the Merlot blend I tasted last night. Will have to hide that one at my brothers place or else it will disappear quickly once it is in the bottle.

Rain, rain go away...

Today I hope to start my Lodi Zinfandel. Possibly tomorrow. My winemaking partner in crime may be a bit tired today. (long week, up late, and up early this morning again) If so, tomorrow.

Today my wife and I decided to build a sitting area around our fire pit. We started at 9 am with the sod kicker (dang that's hard work). We finished up at 6 pm. Here's a few picture of what we did. We had laid out the main stones earlier, just to make certain we liked how it would look.

1463882472672.jpg

1463882484877.jpg

1463882492927.jpg

Great move, less grass to mow! lol

Hoping all that hard work will bring you many hours of enjoyment.

Cheers!!!

Hospice

My mother-in-law passed away last night. She was 88 and had Alzheimer Disease. She was in the hospital and recently a nursing home for the last 5 weeks. Last week the home called my husband and said they wanted to talk to him about hospice. They said his mom will never get better, her heart was only beating at a fraction of what it should. So we set up a meeting for Friday. My husband gets a call Thursday from the home and they tell him that his mom's liver and kidneys are shutting down and want his permission to put her on the comfort meds that is part of the hospice program now.

So we go Friday to the meeting, hospice explains that their job is to cater to her needs and make sure she is kept comfortable until the end. They monitor her very closely and work with the nursing staff.

I never heard of this before but what a wonderful program and it is paid for thru Medicare. The nursing home actually placed my mother-in-law into a private room but only charged for a semi-private. She died very peacefully and I thank the hospice program for this.

@Julie

I'm sorry for you and your husband's loss. I went through this with my mother back in 2007 (58 years) and again with my grandfather in 2009 (89 years). Very tough to deal with. You both have my condolences.

@Julie : I'm not 'liking' the fact that you lost your mother-in-law, but the fact that she was so well taken care of. Sorry for your loss.

Jim

My mother-in-law passed away last night. She was 88 and had Alzheimer Disease. She was in the hospital and recently a nursing home for the last 5 weeks. Last week the home called my husband and said they wanted to talk to him about hospice. They said his mom will never get better, her heart was only beating at a fraction of what it should. So we set up a meeting for Friday. My husband gets a call Thursday from the home and they tell him that his mom's liver and kidneys are shutting down and want his permission to put her on the comfort meds that is part of the hospice program now.

So we go Friday to the meeting, hospice explains that their job is to cater to her needs and make sure she is kept comfortable until the end. They monitor her very closely and work with the nursing staff.

I never heard of this before but what a wonderful program and it is paid for thru Medicare. The nursing home actually placed my mother-in-law into a private room but only charged for a semi-private. She died very peacefully and I thank the hospice program for this.

I work in healthcare and many of the nurses I work with have said the most rewarding job they have ever had was working as a hospice nurse. It is truly a remarkable program.

Julie: Like Jim, I "liked" your post, not for your loss, but for the humane outcome. My condolences. Good luck to you, your husband, and the rest of his family.

Much of what you wrote reads like what I hope my wife might write some day soon......

I can guess the fraternity, which college? I'd also go with less stress. Some people say take the higher pay, but if the stress is high enough you won't be making the higher pay for very long.

Wife and I just tasted a peach/mango, a little too acidic at this point to leave dry, so calculating the simple syrup addition I need to add to get to 1.002. Also plan on cleaning lots of bottles today and bottling the Merlot blend I tasted last night. Will have to hide that one at my brothers place or else it will disappear quickly once it is in the bottle.

Rain, rain go away...

Indiana University of PA.

My son and I bottled 21 cases of our Battlefield Blush today. I have another 10 cases of Catawba to label as well as another 10 of Riesling.

We did a winefest at Ohiopyle yesterday in the pouring rain. Got our van stuck in the mud and the volunteers helped to tow us out. We took only 18 cases (figuring it was pouring rain and who's gonna stand in the rain to sample wine?). Sold TOTALLY out of all wine with 3 hours of the show to go, so we packed up and went home. We could have sold another 3 cases, but getting home and out of the rain seemed like a good trade off.

Another show this weekend and its a 2 day show.

@Julie I'm so sorry for your loss. Hospice care is truly a wonderful thing. Peace to you and your family during this time.

Back