What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Playing now ya see me now ya don't and chereaids with the sun and rain! It was raining so I came in the house and waited on the porch for it to stop and it did so I went out and finished planting one of my flower gardens. It started raining hard. Came in took my garden clothes off and now the sun is shining!:ft

9am baseball game rained out. Will see what happens with the 1pm game. I should take advantage of the time and bottle my 2015 WE LR Super Tuscan, but I'm feeling lazy. Searching for motivation...

Coached my sons 9 yo baseball team this morning, first game, first win! Filtered and bottled two wines, my DB variant with 24# fruit, and a blueberry Pinot noir made from the in laws blueberries and a WE kit. Popeyes chicken for dinner, bout to start capsuling and labeling the wines.

Listening to Pink Floyd, starting an Eclipse OVZ and tasting my Amarones... Getting comfortably numb, myself.

I listen to Floyd last weekend for the first time since I moved to the NYC area. (11 years ago) I kind of got burnt out on them for a while (local radio played them and Rush to death) I was glad to listen to them again. I will put them back into my playlist.

Though I know how much Rush is loved, but I'm pretty sure they will never make it back in. (Every 3rd song used to be Rush, I'm pretty much done with Rush)

Hoping to rack my Elderberry wine today at lunch then after work I'm going to get the bathroom remodel into primer then pick up paint and tile. May have to turn the heat on if I prime. 55 degrees will take a long time to dry.

Whew! Relaxing after a busy day. Drove up to Harford Vineyard this morning to pick up my juice and grapes. Enjoyed meeting Craig ( @ceeaton ) and seeing my friend Jeff, who lurks here. Stopped on the way home to have lunch with my sister. Got home and did the crushing and desteming of my 6 lugs by hand. Note: sitting on a bucket and crushing/desteming grapes by hand for two hours can induce pain for old guys. Picked the kids up at the bus stop (a treat I don't normally get). Then added KMeta, Lallzyme EX, and oak chips to each of the fermenters. Mrs. Boatboy is at the movies with some of her girlfriends, so the boys and I are cooking up some hot dogs for dinner. Easy Peasy.

Whew! Relaxing after a busy day. Drove up to Harford Vineyard this morning to pick up my juice and grapes. Enjoyed meeting Craig ( @ceeaton ) and seeing my friend Jeff, who lurks here. Stopped on the way home to have lunch with my sister. Got home and did the crushing and desteming of my 6 lugs by hand. Note: sitting on a bucket and crushing/desteming grapes by hand for two hours can induce pain for old guys. Picked the kids up at the bus stop (a treat I don't normally get). Then added KMeta, Lallzyme EX, and oak chips to each of the fermenters. Mrs. Boatboy is at the movies with some of her girlfriends, so the boys and I are cooking up some hot dogs for dinner. Easy Peasy.

Yes, a busy day. Harford, drive up and change a Dr's appt, Giant for supplies, desteming only one lug of grapes (can't imagine 6, destemer/crusher just moved up the list), added Kmeta, did 4 loads of laundry, pizza dough, made pizzas, now eating pizza and drinking a beer and wondering if I can give due diligence to one of Jim's wines he lavishly bestowed on me.

Really enjoyed meeting Jim and his old friend Jeff, just hope I didn't talk their ears off (might be why he's so tired). Just wish we were all a bit closer to each other and could do at least a quarterly meet up. It's amazing how much information you can transfer and how much you can learn with a short face to face visit. Looking forward to fall grapes at Harford!

Now to get off my butt and open up some of these buckets and do some testing. Guessing they are still about 45*F at this point. They are sealed an could probably wait until tomorrow....zzz...zzz...zzz.

Needed some new Sodium Hydroxide to make sure I wasn't nuts (tests showed strange results), so I figured if I'm taking a 30 minute field trip, might as well make the trip worth while. Made an Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay last October, and have always planned to gift 1/2 of it to my Mom for her birthday at the end of June.

She had a bottle around Christmas, but at that point it was very fruity and she prefers a dry white wine (it was dry but the fruit that was expressed made it seem off dry). But on tasting it against a younger version that my older brother made, it seemed to be much drier.

They (my Mom and Step Father) tend not to be around when her birthday rolls around, so I took a preemptive calculated risk and dropped the case off this morning. I have to admit she was more concerned about the lack of asparagus (every Spring she gets my first pickings from the patch) than the fact that she gained 12 bottles of very good wine.

She did have a dinner planned her sister and some of her kids (aunt and cousins to me) at a greek place that was BYOA (bring your own alcohol), so she is planning to take a bottle or two, which will hopefully give me some good feedback, if she decides to share it with me.

4-30-16_chardonnay-for-mom.jpg

We are doing a 5k this morning to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis. It's 50 degrees and pouring rain. :( It'll be fun, but I'd prefer 60 and bright sunshine.

bottled another 12 gallons of Cranberry Pomegranate, racked 12 gallons of Petit Syrah and 12 Cab Franc. Added oak to the syrah and the cab franc, and added 3 ounces of German dark chocolate to the cab franc. Backsweetening of our concord Niagara blush and the straight Catawba for this weekends bottling. Submitted 6 more labels to the TTB.

@vernsgal, Today I have to cap and label these. I thought I did good bottling my Pinot Noir and Merlot from the fall of 2014. I don't do caps or labels unless I gift them. Bakervinyard

Back