What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off to see if we can get my son's baseball practice in without getting too wet. Short term forecast shows light rain ending by 10:30 am which will work. I'll drop him off and head to the local grocery store for some chicken parmesean makings for dinner this evening. Then head back to help out at practice, if I am any help. Plan on bottling a few beers from the keg for tomorrow and then bottling a batch of white wine, just don't know which one yet. May have to degass if it doesn't pass the bottle "poof" test.

Gonna meet this morning with the roofer who will roof the wine room when it's framed, then measure SO2 in the barrels and top up/sulfite as needed, then off to baseball orientation with my boy. Pick up a brisket on the way home, prepare it to go on the Primo tomorrow AM for an afternoon delight. Hope to sample and adjust acid on the WE NZ Sauvignon Blanc this evening.

Oldest's morning baseball practice is rained out. Supposed to clear by mid-day, so we'll see what happens with the youngest's practice at 3:00. So an unanticipated quiet morning. Enjoying cartoons and coffee (for me) with the kiddos on the couch. :sl

Edit: Upon reviewing some of my notes, I realized yesterday was the day I was scheduled to move the Aglianico and WE LE Super Tuscan from their barrels. Off to the winery!!

Last edited:
Youngest son's practice canceled at 9:08 am, eight minutes after I checked my email for the last time. So went and waited, went to the store once it was apparent that no one was showing up, so no great loss. Actually gained 1.5 hours to work on beer and wine (not drinking, making).

Coach said in his email the field was a mess. Pitchers mound was dry and it wasn't even covered. Clearing here now and can see blue sky to the West.

Took off yesterday as my final vacation day of 2015 and taught the first day of an OSHA class in Youngstown. Came home from OH and conducted a tasting for my wife's aunt's women's club. Got up this morning to drive to OH and finish the class, then stopped in to see Charlie at Luva Bella and picked up 2 buckets of Petit Sirah and 2 buckets of Cab Franc. I'll add a dark chocolate bar to the Cab Franc after fermentation....

Blended my A-Do yesterday as well as racked and back sweetened Fredonia, Concord, Niagra and Catawba. Should be bottling about 50 gallons next weekend...

Racked 6 gallons of Sauvignon Blanc made from juice, 6 gallons of Grand Cru Merlot, 6 gallons of merlot from juice and 5 gallons of blackberry from Jam. Got to bottle in the next week or so.

Jim? Are you still alive, Jim? Have you come to yet? :D

Holy cow, what a game!!!

nova1-1024.jpg

Reliving the victory. My oldest asked if we could watch the Villanova game from Monday night. Of course, I obliged. :D

Cut the grass for the first time last night and moved all my tools from the downstairs bathroom to the garage so that I can tear out the floor this weekend and figure out where I need to move all the plumbing so that I can start remodeling that room as well.

Sanitized bottles last night in preparation of bottling 10 gallons of Catawba today. Also managed to get 5 1/2 gallons of Niagra filtered and bottled. So nice to be able to filter and bottle at the same time.

Cut the grass for the first time last night and moved all my tools from the downstairs bathroom to the garage so that I can tear out the floor this weekend and figure out where I need to move all the plumbing so that I can start remodeling that room as well.

I was in Pittsburgh last weekend and it snowed!!!:ft

It was a quick trip to see my Grandsons music recital at Duquesne University. Drove up Saturday morning and drove back Sunday afternoon. I was barely in town for 24 hours. Next time I'll be sure to let you know....and I'll bring some wine for you to critique. My last few batches just were not as good as previous batches.....must have something to do with the water in Delaware vs. Maryland.:slp
Unfortunately, I'm traveling more with my new job and have less time to make wine and visit.
I'll be in Roanoke VA for a couple days next week.

Latest posts

Back