What kind of grapes do I have?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i joined over a year ago and enjoyed it a lot. I have made some great wines in my opinion and learned a lot. I started out too hot and heavy. I did not get burned out but other things have kept me busy. I did get upset with my label making and dropped off for a while but should be back full time for the next few months. I just drank some Portuguese wine and some of my Pinot nior wine tonight while I picked grapes. These are from 3 to 5 vines 9/10 green seedless 1/10 pink and red seedless. There are plenty of grapes left to pick but I picked a bunch. I am hoping for 12 gallons of juice. If not I will pick some more tomorrow to make 12 gallons to make 2 batches. I am having trouble figuring out what kind of grapes I have.
Please help.
Tomorrow I will do a ruff crush then press and begin my process. Should I worry what kind of grapes I have or just roll with it. In the picture I have the leafs, clusters and grapes. I plan on lightly destemming and crushing them pressing. I did get a cheap acid tester. I hope to make 60 bottles and give the person who gave me the grapes at least 20 bottles of the finished product.

Should I worry about what kind of grapes I have or just roll with it?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    748.9 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    621.1 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    642.2 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    658.6 KB · Views: 28
Those could be table grapes, really i have no clue, but a useful way to tell is to check the brix. Table grapes usually always sit around 18. Wine much higher 21-30 brix.

Wow. That took a long night time to destem those grapes. I had 2, 6 gallon buckets and a big Rubbermaid bin about 10 gallons full from my guess. After I crushed them lightly with a wooden fruit crusher and pressed them out I only got 6 gallons of juice. I was hoping for closer to 12 gallons. I guess I will have to go pick more. It took me a long time to do it by myself. Juice tastes great.

Brix was 24. I guess that is great for a seedless grape I cannot identify. I really want to get another 6 gallons of juice if I can. I did not check the acid levels but pretty excited!

Wow. That took a long night time to destem those grapes. I had 2, 6 gallon buckets and a big Rubbermaid bin about 10 gallons full from my guess. After I crushed them lightly with a wooden fruit crusher and pressed them out I only got 6 gallons of juice. I was hoping for closer to 12 gallons. I guess I will have to go pick more. It took me a long time to do it by myself. Juice tastes great.

Brix was 24. I guess that is great for a seedless grape I cannot identify. I really want to get another 6 gallons of juice if I can. I did not check the acid levels but pretty excited!
Sounds like a wine grape for sure, especially at that sugar level

Latest posts

Back