What kind of buckets are these?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
My brother wanted to try his hand at some wine last year and he bought a kit to start with. I think he got disappointed with his first on his own results, so hasn't tried anything else.
After we talked about my big batch of strawberry fermenting, he said I could use the two buckets he bought.
I'm not sure where bought them.
They are at least 7 gallon plastic buckets with a screw on gasketed lid. They have a grommeted bung with a drain on the side just off the bottom and are grommeted for an air lock.
The instructions printed on the lid say to hand tighten it and then give it a couple taps with a hammer to seal completely.
I'm cleaning them up now and just trying to figure out if these are just primarys or have them been designed to finish fermenting out too.

I'm guessing fermenting only. I have one like you describe at 6 gallons so it's really meant for 5 gallons of must. I wouldn't try fermenting to dry unless it's a red.

The screw top is so much more convenient. Much less work on the hands. I dont' do the tapping with a hammer part as it's just not necessary in primary IMO.

PF110LG.jpg

Darren

Last edited:
That looks nice .So when you go from there to the carboy you just put it under the spout and fill ? Looks like you wouldn't trouble with the slurry getting mixed back in again . I wish I had screw on lids when I started but I finally bought the lid lifter ,best money I spent in a long time for such a small item .

Now that is a nice fermentor bucket. Wonder if they are available in sizes of 7.9 gallons or above? Where can one find them?

You guys are good!!!!
That is the exact bucket. The only thing I can't figure out is that both of the ones I got from my brother have cracks in the tops where the air lock plug was inserted. Small enough that I think I can repair them.

Little cracks in the lid should not be a problem during primary ferment. CO2 will lie on top of the wine and protect it.

Latest posts

Back