What is your WEIRDEST wine you made?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
:a1
OK, I make alot of wine. But, I would say my weirdest is a Carrot wine thats still aging.
Whats YOURS ?

I would say the dandelion and must say its damn good sweetened with honey. I dont venture off the beaten path very much though mainly because Im pretty limited with funds and dont grow muchwith my yard being mostly shaded. That Pecan wine is sounding very good though so I may have to try that sometime this year!

I made a batch of Habanero-Pineapple wine a year or so ago. It was actually pretty good, but too hot (spicy) to drink much of.

I also made a batch of Prickly Pear wine. It's still bulk aging, years after being made. I haven't bottled it yet because it's slimy, due to a mucus like substance in the prickly pear fruit. I've never been able to get it settled out.

Candy cane is pretty weird so far. Started out neon pink, progressed to an orangish color, and now is clearing to what I can only expect to be a very very light white wine. I'll be adding a candy cane f-pack to bring back some of the neon pink. Tastes pepperminty though.

Tabasco chili on a red grape base.. no water added.

it's less than a year old and I gifted bottles at christmas.. I have requests for more already.. I gifted it as a sipping wine.. but people are drinking it like a red..

Allie

Like you I make a lot of wines Tom and my weirdest was red beet wine.

I made it about 3 years ago and it still need aging.
The first year it tasted like eating mud.
Each year I open a mini-bottle and it is coming around, So I am still optimistic.

Luc

This seems to be the appropriate thread for this question: Has anyone made wine from hops? I was thinking about this yesterday and did a search but didn't come up with anything. It seems you can make wine out of just about anything that was grown. Hops sounds intriguing. (And I have 6 various hops growing in the back yard)
Larry

I've heard of barley wine, but just hops wine might be bitter, not sure.

Larry, I JUST seen a hop wine recently, but darn sure can't remeber where. I'll see if the memory comes back to me.

Look around in here, www.brewery.org

I haven't made anything wierd...yet! I made some rose petal wine(used the petals from the rose hip bush) and it was really good, can hardly wait for spring to go again.

Tom, how is that carrot wine. Sounds like it should be pretty good.

I don't believe I have made a weird wine but if you talk to some of the people whe have drank my wine, they may tell you different. I have made a wine that has gotten raised eyebrows and that is the Cayenne pepper wine. I made it for cooking but it has turned into a very popular drinking wine.

Hot but very tasty.

Julie

Last edited:
Hmm, I think I may be a "weird wineMAKER" and I know I am not alone in that title, the rest of you know who you are....and so do we!!

:D:tz

Mine has been a small batch of Hershey's Cocoa. It turned out well enough after a tough time clearing.I made it really sweet. I don't think I would ever just pour a glass full and drink it. I think I am going to try blending some of it with some Blackberry that is aging right now.
Brad

I am planning a weird one for the near future. Celery/Lime. It will only be for cooking purposes. I want it dusty dry and for it to bite me. I'll be asking question about it some day.
Brad

my honeysuckle wine is ready for bottling now.. made it with honey so I suppose it really counts as a melomel. left to ferment while on holiday, so was never racked and has cleared beautifully.. so will just rack and bottle it.. only a gallon batch, will let you know what it tastes like.

the gorseflower wine ( also a melomel) is a winner btw.. going to do a 5 gallon batch next spring.

Allie

Latest posts

Back