What is your favorite Wine Kit and why?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ithink2020

Reaction score
Past or present? What is your favorite wine kit and Why?

Just a thread for some enjoyable reading :)

WE Stag Leap Merlot - we made many of those kits at Valley Vines to Wines in Mill Bay on Vancouver Island. I have no idea how many but it was a lot. We were winter liveaboards at the time and we drank a lot. Now that I've got my own wine room set up I've got a Stag Leap in a carboy. Valley Vines has oak barrels which we always used for our Stag Leap. I don't have any barrels so can't go that way but I'll leave the oak cubes in the carboy until it tastes right.

My currently favorite kits are:

Winexpert 2018 Limited Edition Chile Corazon kit
R J Spagnols Grand Cru Verdicchio Kit
R J Spagnols Black Forest Dessert Wine kit

The Corazon is the best tasting red wine kit I've made, and it's still young. It lacks that "kit wine taste" and I expect longevity -- the last bottle will be gone before it starts to decline.

The Verdicchio was an impulse buy -- young it was crisp and vibrant. As it's aged, it's mellowed into a solid chicken or white fish wine.

The Black Forest? Chocolate, cherry, and alcohol? What's not to like?

I drink very little of the wine I make but my wife's favorite is WE's Eclipse old vine zinfandel

Past or present? What is your favorite wine kit and Why?

Just a thread for some enjoyable reading :)
Global Vintners Raspberry/Peach Sangria Fruit Mist Wine kit that I tweaked by adding 5 lbs. of sliced fresh peaches and 3#, 1 oz. can of Vintners Harvest Raspberry puree. Also topped off w/bottle of 100% Peach/Mango juice and 1 cup of Everclear. Reason: great bouquet and fruity flavor. Absolutely fantastic! I will definitely be buying that again.

I really like a Grenache, Shiraz, Mourvèdre blend. I'm a big fan of Rhône wines and this one comes close. I also like the RJS Rosé. It is not really like a nice Provençale Rosé but it is good.

I am pretty much a newbie. Started a little over a year ago and have made 4 kits (the 5th is in clearing stage right now. The ones I have made, in this order, are Mosti Mondiale Nero D'Avola, RJS Super Tuscan, WE Eclipse Nebbiolo, Mosti Mondiale Nero D'Avola. Notice the one I have made twice. I will make it again this year.

Why do I like it? Besides me really liking Nreo D'Avola wine, primarily because it is very drinkable right after bottling (3-4 weeks) and just gets better over time. But it is also a very easy kit to make. It is an all juice kit, 6 gallons of juice, not concentrate where you have to add a lot of water. The only oak is chips that go into primary fermentation, and there are no skins. All of this makes it a very easy kit to make. That was great for doing my first ever wine making.

It has been so drinkable that I have only been able to keep 8 bottles from the first batch for over a year (bottled 11/23/19). A good friend who just started winemaking after tasing mine (and my brother-in-law's) has made it and is going to order it again to make.

Have been in this hobby for only five years now, but it's been quite rewarding.
My two favorites were probably a Meglioli Amarone made in my first year and a Sauvignon Blanc made from a fresh Australian juice from MM last summer. The Amarone aged in bottles after 4 years was remarkable.
Note that all the kits made between those years were more than acceptable.

Latest posts

Back