Other What is your favorite full-bodied Red wine making kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmrubin

Junior
Reaction score
Looking for advice and what would be the best red wine making kit that is also a full-bodied wine? Thanks

The RJS EP Super Tuscan is excellent. It's the best kit ST I've had so far. I'm afraid that the "best red wine" question is a lot like the "best synthetic oil" question on a motorcycle forum, though. There's no right answer. I also favor the WE Eclipse SLD Merlot, the SE Amarone, the Eclipse Nebbiolo and the RJS EP Aussie Cab. All of which are available for sale, all full bodied, all excellent kits.

What kind of wine do you favor as a general rule? What flavor do you look for in a good wine?

Where is the best place to get the RJS ST? They used to run much less than I am seeing from a google search.

Are you in the US?

For me, I go to FineVineWines on RJS and Cellar Craft. 'Sign up' and you'll get 10% off just about everything. And they have $9.99 flat rate shipping.

Does anyone know anything about Homebrew Supply? Their prices are about 50% cheaper than anywhere else which doesn't make sense?

While I have made many of these RJS Super Tuscan kits; the last ones that I made (purchased in July of this year) did not include the American toasted oak spirals that were previously part of this kit. Now all the oak is added to the primary fermenter. The resulting wine (at a relatively early stage) is a bit different, possibly due to this change.
Of course you could add some American toasted oak to your wine in the carboy.

Cheers;

Bar

While I have made many of these RJS Super Tuscan kits; the last ones that I made (purchased in July of this year) did not include the American toasted oak spirals that were previously part of this kit. Now all the oak is added to the primary fermenter. The resulting wine (at a relatively early stage) is a bit different, possibly due to this change.
Of course you could add some American toasted oak to your wine in the carboy.

Cheers;

Bar

Better, worse or going to turn out about the same? Just curious before I buy two of these kits. Thanks!

Better, worse or going to turn out about the same? Just curious before I buy two of these kits. Thanks!

Well, the wine will not be the same. Better or worse, I can't say. This wine previously had a strong influence from the toasted oak spirals in the carboy. One of my ongoing frustrations with wine kits in the last few years is that there seems to be a lack of consistency from year to year in a given kit.

After causing a bit of "thread drift", I think that I should maybe post my current favourite red kit.
There are a lot of nice kits out there, and, the RJS Super Tuscan is nicely priced. It has been my "go to" kit for early drinking reds for some time, but the red kit that I have been liking lately is the CC Showcase South African Shiraz. Nice dark fruits, and, a depth of complex flavours. This kit isn't a "heavy hitter" like Amarone, but, it is an honest red that contains enough oak with the kit to be made without any extra additions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back